News   May 06, 2024
 211     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 750     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 599     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

We have to be prepared that we may never have an effective vaccine. There’s no vaccine for HIV, HCV, rhinovirus, norovirus, Dengue virus, genital Herpes, HSV, EBV and CMV, for example. Dengue is a nasty one where any attempt at a vaccine would make the disease worse.

That begs the question.. what do we do in that case.

That begs the question.. what do we do in that case.
We prepare to re-open everything. That starts by comprehensive protections at long term care (LTC) homes where 82% of Canada's Covid19 deaths have occurred. Next we ramp up capacity at hospitals and stockpiles of PPE to cope with the surge. Once that's ready, while still pushing for sustainable social distancing, we open the gates, re-open the economy and go for herd immunity.

Within six months I'd guess that over 75% of Canada's 38 million people would test positive for Covid19, or 28.5 million infections. With a death rate outside of LTC homes of under 1% that's 285,000 dead. But with new experience, the above preparations, and further protections of immune suppressed people who reside outside of LTC homes we should hopefully reduce the deaths to less than 30,000, still much higher than the 1,500 annual deaths due to influenza in Canada.

In the absence of a vaccine is there really any other option?

Last edited:
Ford urges those who were at Trinity Bellwoods to get tested for COVID-19

From link.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is urging the thousands of people who flocked to Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto’s west end on Saturday to get tested for COVID-19.

Ford said Monday that he was “disappointed” to see an estimated crowd of 10,000 people flock to the popular greenspace, and he encouraged them to head to an assessment centre to be tested.

“My recommendation to anyone at Trinity Bellwoods, why don’t you do us all a favour and go get tested now,” he said.

Ford said that the park resembled “a rock concert without the band,” with social distancing rules seemingly ignored en masse.

“These are smart young people that were there, come on guys, give me a break,” Ford said. “Don’t do reckless things like that.

“What I worry about is them going back home, how about their family members? Weren’t they thinking of them when they went there?”

Toronto Mayor John Tory apologized after photos surfaced online showing him speaking with people at Trinity Bellwoods with his mask pulled down over his chin on Saturday.

“I visited Trinity Bellwoods Park to try to determine why things were the way they were,” Tory said in a statement released Sunday.

“I fully intended to properly physically distance but it was very difficult to do. I wore a mask into the park but I failed to use it properly, another thing I’m disappointed about. These were mistakes that I made and as a leader in this city, I know that I must set a better example going forward.”

When asked if Tory should also be tested, Ford said: “That’s up to the mayor. He’s been working hard day in and day out. He’s working his back off.”

Ford also said Monday that he wouldn’t punish the rest of the province by rolling back restrictions after the reckless behaviour seen in Toronto over the weekend.

“I’m not going to punish the whole province because a group of people in Toronto ended up getting together,” he said.

“We can’t paint a broad brush across Toronto, you get the odd group that misbehaves — that’s not reflective of the people of Toronto.”

Start by opening up a COVID-19 Assessment Centre at Trinity-Bellwoods Park. Start this weekend.

Along with opening up the washrooms.

We prepare to re-open everything. That starts by comprehensive protections at long term care (LTC) homes where 82% of Canada's Covid19 deaths have occurred. Next we ramp up capacity at hospitals and stockpiles of PPE to cope with the surge. Once that's ready, while still pushing for sustainable social distancing, we open the gates, re-open the economy and go for herd immunity.

Within six months I'd guess that over 75% of Canada's 38 million people would test positive for Covid19, or 28.5 million infections. With a death rate outside of LTC homes of under 1% that's 285,000 dead. But with new experience, the above preparations, and further protections of immune suppressed people who reside outside of LTC homes we should hopefully reduce the deaths to less than 30,000, still much higher than the 1,500 annual deaths due to influenza in Canada.

In the absence of a vaccine is there really any other option?
6 months to herd immunity seems too short.

Issue is we have to reopen the health system back to non covid care.

Many people can't visit family doctors or balancing reward and risk of visting a doctor or hospital for a non covid issue.

Ontario "reluctant" to move forward on lifting ban allowing more than five people to gather

May 25 2020

Ontario’s Minister of Health, Christine Elliot said that the province is “reluctant” to move forward on lifting the ban allowing more than five people to gather, due to the increase of new COVID-19 cases and the recent gatherings of crowds, like those seen in Trinity Bellwoods Park on Saturday.

“The number of people coming down with COVID in the last few days, along with the weekend seeing large groups of people in parks like at Trinity Bellwoods, make us reluctant to move forward with that measure,” Elliot said on Monday, during the daily press conferences at Queen’s Park.

While Elliot said she is still looking into the restriction with the Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams, coronavirus numbers in the province will have to show a more steady decline.

“We’ll have to wait to see the numbers come down first,” she said.

The Minister of Health added that there is still a “concern” with groups gathering that are too large and have had to “push back” considering lifting the restriction on the more than five person ban.

Elliot also said that the rise in new coronavirus cases in Ontario is likely from a week prior with Mother’s Day events when families gathering on the holiday, when they should have been distancing.

Ontario "reluctant" to move forward on lifting ban allowing more than five people to gather

May 25 2020

Ontario’s Minister of Health, Christine Elliot said that the province is “reluctant” to move forward on lifting the ban allowing more than five people to gather, due to the increase of new COVID-19 cases and the recent gatherings of crowds, like those seen in Trinity Bellwoods Park on Saturday.

“The number of people coming down with COVID in the last few days, along with the weekend seeing large groups of people in parks like at Trinity Bellwoods, make us reluctant to move forward with that measure,” Elliot said on Monday, during the daily press conferences at Queen’s Park.

While Elliot said she is still looking into the restriction with the Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams, coronavirus numbers in the province will have to show a more steady decline.

“We’ll have to wait to see the numbers come down first,” she said.

The Minister of Health added that there is still a “concern” with groups gathering that are too large and have had to “push back” considering lifting the restriction on the more than five person ban.

Elliot also said that the rise in new coronavirus cases in Ontario is likely from a week prior with Mother’s Day events when families gathering on the holiday, when they should have been distancing.

Opening of gatherings of large groups should include COVID-19 Assessment Centres (plural).

There's the most important part. The big deal is not the gatherings we can see, it's the ones we can't.

While Trinity Bellwoods made for a great circus for media to use, it was not the significant event that it was made out to be, There's lots of private spaces--homes, offices, construction sites, and businesses--hidden out of sight of cameras, where people from multiple residences are gathering and not social distancing at all, and haven't been since the start of this.

There's the most important part. The big deal is not the gatherings we can see, it's the ones we can't.

While Trinity Bellwoods made for a great circus for media to use, it was not the significant event that it was made out to be, There's lots of private spaces--homes, offices, construction sites, and businesses--hidden out of sight of cameras, where people from multiple residences are gathering and not social distancing at all, and haven't been since the start of this.

Saturday night my street looked like a parking lot. People having parties in their houses/apartments out of view.

Yuuuuup.
Construction.
My workplace hasn't seen anything different except maybe the inclusion of hand sanitiser at one site and a sink with soap at another (I love this one)...that one also has a site limit of 5 people.

My own company shut down for two weeks at the end of March and were the only ones I know of who did. Went back and all wore masks up until this week. No one else was wearing them this whole time on site. We work outdoors so it wasn't even the greatest need and now we've dropped them because it's too hot out to wear one.

Personally, I don't have a care as I have reason to believe that I have already been infected with the virus back in March....and even failing that, my carefree attitude and suicidal tendencies sort of keep me from being afraid for mysel. I also don't see anyone outside of work and always wear a mask in shops so I'm not worried about infecting others.

I still think construction should have been fully shut down for three weeks back in March though. I do know of one high rise site that had to close because of an outbreak...that was about a month ago. I don't work in that sector though. And another builder who we do work with had to shut down back in mid-March because of exposure.

Other than that one builder, I don't come into contact with any place or group of people that have had an outbreak or even potential outbreak.

I live alone and haven't seen my friends or family in over two months.

I'm pretty well over it all......want to go back to taking my chances with other viruses as well, if you know what I mean.

I've been a responsible citizen, as always, and am ready for some reciprocity in the form of being allowed to go foooking camping at least, ffs.

Antibody treatment for COVID-19 ready for clinical trials, says Toronto scientist

Monday, May 25, 2020

TORONTO -- A biomedical engineer at the University of Toronto says his team has developed a synthetic antibody that could help those sick with COVID-19 fight off its symptoms.

An antibody injection helps those who are symptomatic and at risk, and who can’t produce necessary antibodies in time to prevent the severe results of COVID-19, says Sachdev Sidhu, who is appointed to the Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research.

His team has developed an “antibody we believe should be a therapeutic and we are now working with the National Research Council in Montreal to do what we call a scale up so we can make enough of it that we can do clinical trials,” Sidhu said on CTV’s Your Morning Monday.

Well its interesting I went for a drive into Caledon Hockley valley and forks of the credit with my fiance today.

The park areas were all closed but people parked on the side of the roads and people still walked in... I would say Peel has kept the parks closed for a reason or the crowds be insane.

I think a lot of people should go for a drive...take food along or do drive-thru and use gloves when putting in gas.

Seems way safer and enjoyable than gathering with 1000s of people in a park.

The provincial park was open, though Credit Valley Conservation's Belfountain and Cheltenham Badlands sites were closed off -- they're too small and popular. Other CVC conservation areas have limited access right now, and most TRCA properties remain closed.

So I've been trying to negotiate a lower price on a bigger unit in my building. One that has already been discounted because there is no interest. I went to find similar sized units in the area and found that all these landlords have lost their marbles. They're all acting like everyone's working at full tilt and the madness of the housing market hasn't completely abated. There are 20ish empty units in my building of ~290 units.

I'm trying to convince them to do the maths....they're losing money by not renting to me immediately for less than waiting for some fool to go for their price.
If they have it empty for a month instead of renting to me, they lose 2000 dollars that me paying 100/mth less now would take 20 months to even out....and not even then because by then we're talking two rent increases that will total the difference pretty well.
They're not understanding the basic mathematics, the greedy fools.

I'm even paid up til August on rent (plague's been great for my finances) so I'm subsidising the tenants who have had trouble paying since the plague started. They don't care about that either.

Some people can't see past a sticker price, for real.

I'm still a couple of days til I have to check in with them to see if they've relented which they say they might if it doesn't rent, which it won't because it's been on the market for three months and there have been two viewings and zero interest except by me.

I'm cool, I have a home...I was just trying to help out my landlord. ;)

So I've been trying to negotiate a lower price on a bigger unit in my building. One that has already been discounted because there is no interest. I went to find similar sized units in the area and found that all these landlords have lost their marbles. They're all acting like everyone's working at full tilt and the madness of the housing market hasn't completely abated. There are 20ish empty units in my building of ~290 units.

I'm trying to convince them to do the maths....they're losing money by not renting to me immediately for less than waiting for some fool to go for their price.
If they have it empty for a month instead of renting to me, they lose 2000 dollars that me paying 100/mth less now would take 20 months to even out....and not even then because by then we're talking two rent increases that will total the difference pretty well.
They're not understanding the basic mathematics, the greedy fools.

I'm even paid up til August on rent (plague's been great for my finances) so I'm subsidising the tenants who have had trouble paying since the plague started. They don't care about that either.

Some people can't see past a sticker price, for real.

I'm still a couple of days til I have to check in with them to see if they've relented which they say they might if it doesn't rent, which it won't because it's been on the market for three months and there have been two viewings and zero interest except by me.

I'm cool, I have a home...I was just trying to help out my landlord. ;)

Similar here.

My landlord had been shifting units selectively to high end executive rental (short-term).

Fully furnished, and they were putting in built-in A/C.

They did relent just in the last 2 weeks and let a unit like that go as unfurnished (though they didn't take the a/c out).

They did lower their asking price; but they still settled at more than they would have had last year at the this time.

Back