News   Aug 07, 2024
 415     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 379     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 297     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Moving along, I've really found this plague time to be restorative to my health, as incongruent as that may seem.

Everything has become slower and quieter (though it's ramping up to full nonsense again) and it's been a nice 8 weeks of contemplation for me, personally.
That‘s my experience too. It helps to have a job that I both enjoy and is still paying me.

There was an article online that states how air travel will only be for the rich and powerful when this is all over because of the need for social distancing measures increasing costs. Honestly, after all this I think travel will rebound. People will need to unwind despite everything.

Social distancing measures will need to be put in place but I highly doubt airlines are stupid enough to increase prices. If airlines want to survive after the pandemic they will need to slash prices and provide deep discounts.

Nobody will pay more for airfare when they don't have to but if the price is right...
I agree. Prices will be slashed, and a lot of people who have been working throughout this period of social distancing will have saved up a lot of disposable income.

I agree. Prices will be slashed, and a lot of people who have been working throughout this period of social distancing will have saved up a lot of disposable income.

If nothing else, this pandemic may actually change air travel for the better. It may allow for much more comfortable air travel.

Yesterday was rain. Having done every conceivable indoor chore humanly possible, I photographed the inside of the house and contents for insurance purposes. Not hyper detailed, just enough to keep us thinking should we ever have a catastrophic loss. On the computer and SD card in the safety deposit box. How boring is that!

Gorgeous today - went for the first m/c ride of the season! Huzzah. Traffic seemed light for a long weekend but lots of boats on trailers being hauled around.

There was an article online that states how air travel will only be for the rich and powerful when this is all over because of the need for social distancing measures increasing costs. Honestly, after all this I think travel will rebound. People will need to unwind despite everything.

Social distancing measures will need to be put in place but I highly doubt airlines are stupid enough to increase prices. If airlines want to survive after the pandemic they will need to slash prices and provide deep discounts.

Nobody will pay more for airfare when they don't have to but if the price is right...
Though I am sure airlines would want to cut fares to attract customers, it will be VERY hard for them to do so as most are verging on bankruptcy and most people will only want to fly if they have more space. "More space" equals fewer passengers per plane. The budget airlines that kept planes flying 18-20 hours a day will not be able to do this as planes will need to be thoroughly cleaned after each flight, that can't be done in 15 minutes!

Though I am sure airlines would want to cut fares to attract customers, it will be VERY hard for them to do so as most are verging on bankruptcy and most people will only want to fly if they have more space. "More space" equals fewer passengers per plane. The budget airlines that kept planes flying 18-20 hours a day will not be able to do this as planes will need to be thoroughly cleaned after each flight, that can't be done in 15 minutes!

True but if they lower it enough to bring it just above cost and increase the flights people will go for it.

I agree, if you lower it and keep only a handful of flights it will not end well.

Just got home from up north.

That was so necessary. Bare feet on the Canadian Shield.

I don't even know what is going on anymore.

I tried for Killbear P.P. That was closed due to "hazardous tree removal" apparently.
Made it to Sturgeon Bay P.P. Was the only one there but for a ranger and his wife. Super peaceful and lovely. Open for day use 8:00-22:00. Which is dope because there's a beach there and a boat launch so you can make it out to Georgian Bay.
It was nice being the only person there.

Then I made it down to Torrance Barrens, which was packed full of people. At least double the amounth of people as the busiest I've seen it before today.

So, that was a big contrast to the cottage occupancy which seemed largely reduced. I would say, at most, 50% occupancy at cottages through the Gravenhurst-Pointe Au Baril corridor.

Also drove through a police checkpoint in Bala which I have never ever ever seen there. Maybe they thought people would be going buck after being shut in?

The highways were beautifully empty which made it a breeze getting around, especially at my speeds. ;)

Not sure the fire ban is a real thing as Carling Township had a sign outside a municipal facility that said only campfires were allowed. Saw pleeeeenty of fires being burnt down, all over the place....so.....I don't think the fire ban is a thing.

Anyway, now's the time to go up north, if you're interested because it's emptier than usual...mostly.

McDonald's to end self serve public soda machines, a likely new norm for all fast food chains and other similar settings for a while.

I find this odd.............but w/e...........if you have a properly designed machine, no human touch is required; old-school, you lean the cup into the lever that triggers pop dispensing; new schools, sensors, similar to no-touch taps.

Contamination risk is beyond low..........but could put in a sneeze guard without much difficulty............

I find this odd.............but w/e...........if you have a properly designed machine, no human touch is required; old-school, you lean the cup into the lever that triggers pop dispensing; new schools, sensors, similar to no-touch taps.

Contamination risk is beyond low..........but could put in a sneeze guard without much difficulty............

I'm fairly certain you feel that a lot of the response to the plague is irrational as all hell. I'm starting to feel the same way. The Crown Land camping did it. ;)

I'm beginning to think that the Swedes have had it right all along.

I'm fairly certain you feel that a lot of the response to the plague is irrational as all hell. I'm starting to feel the same way. The Crown Land camping did it. ;)

I'm beginning to think that the Swedes have had it right all along.

I think there's a real virus that really can kill some people and has; I think its much more transmissible than influenza, more than likely comparably or slightly less fatal per case though that's TBD. But given larger numbers of cases, likely more fatal in total.

I happen to favour social distancing and other reasonable precautions.

But I use the world reasonable.

I want policy to follow evidence and science.

There is now a widespread admission that outdoor transmissiblity is only slightly above zero.

Indoor risk, in confined spaces over time is fairly high.

But that's ballistic exposure (droplets projected), and length of exposure.

Those are things we need to mitigate.

Instead of protecting those in Long Term Care homes aggressively................we doddled, preferring to issue tickets to people sitting on park benches.

Instead of mandating that essential workers wear masks.............

We spent time/energy/political capital shutting down camping and golf. (ok, I'm not a golf person.....so I kinda sympathize w/that one, LOL)

But, honestly.........this whole situation has not been well managed in most jurisdictions.

In Canada, I have great respect for Bonnie Henry of BC.

She was swift and decisive..............did far better on the LTC issue...............but also told people to get outside.

She wasn't perfect...........but she was much closer than we've been in Ontario.

That's what I think.

Back