News   Jul 12, 2024
 372     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

From today's Ontario report.

Testing has picked up, finally. 6,600 tests in last 24 hours

6% growth in cases.

Hospitalizations up 4.7%

ICU up 1.5%

# on Vents down 8.8% (This is best we've seen, I believe)

Resolved rate above 44%

Overall, looking good. (knock wood)

Absolutely brilliant thread on serology testing (antibodies and infections) to see presence in the general population.

Looks like infections in most places with significant cases are at/above 15% of the general population or at least 10x greater than what testing currently suggests.

Its very balanced; nonetheless, important to read comments and research further.

From said thread; a Danish study used to inform it. (its in Dutch)

Key finding, with translation:

"det reelle antalle smittede i danmark er 30-80 gange hogere end det antale der bliver pavist."

"the real number of infected in Denmark is 30-80 times higher than the number that is proven."

Last edited:
I'm seeing a number of posts in my Instagram feed of people going home for Easter. I also noticed that my visitor's parking in my building is full. I really don't know what to say. If shutting down the entire world isn't enough of a message of how serious this is, what is? These people are going to kill their parents.

Maybe Dwight Schrute was on to something...
tenor.gif

The GTA seems way too busy during this lockdown. Other cities across the world are taking this way more seriously than us in Toronto.
I'm really not to sure about that from what I heard from friends in Western Europe (central and eastern Europe on the other hand have done well to shut down).

Meanwhile, large parts of the United States thinks that this is a violation of their rights, so I really don't feel bad about how Torontonians/Canadians have responded. We aren't disciplined like the East Asian countries, but objectively speaking, we haven't performed poorly.

I'm seeing a number of posts in my Instagram feed of people going home for Easter. I also noticed that my visitor's parking in my building is full. I really don't know what to say. If shutting down the entire world isn't enough of a message of how serious this is, what is? These people are going to kill their parents.

Maybe Dwight Schrute was on to something...
View attachment 240641

Undoubtedly, there is a portion of the population not adhering to guidance, and not exercising due prudence.

But, you're being very o'er the top. That really doesn't help, it actually has the effect of discrediting otherwise prudent guidance, because people can now point and say "That's not true"

I've posted a series of studies above, peer-reviewed, published, by the CDC and others, which show your statement to be incorrect.

Nominal mortality in Italy, in Lombardy, among the 80 year olds is around the 31% mark, of those who test positive, are symptomatic at all etc.

But the above studies show infection rates are likely no less than 10x what we have confirmed in the community and may, in some areas be 30x-80x higher.

Taking the most conservative figure, that would mean mortality in the 80s group in a super-cluster region is 3.1%.

Now, to be clear, that's tragic; its real, its not to be diminished; and it does not imply that one should go visiting their geriatric parents this Easter either.

For the record, you shouldn't.

But lets try to keep this based on facts.

Reactions: DSC
Is there a graph anywhere that compares the daily numbers?

Its great that they post the daily numbers but I find a comparison to be much more helpful in seeing how things are playing out.

The GTA seems way too busy during this lockdown. Other cities across the world are taking this way more seriously than us in Toronto.

TTC has seen a 70% decline. GO has seen a 90% decline. The malls are closed. So people are walking around outside more in their neighbourhoods more.

From link.

I'll also throw in this from the CCSO (Critical Care Services of Ontario)

1586720452336.png

Meanwhile, large parts of the United States thinks that this is a violation of their rights,
When I see all these throngs of idiot blue hairs and obese rednecks going to their southern mega churches, I can’t help but think that the virus may eradicate the right sort of Trump voter that the world and November need fewer of.

Back