News   Mar 28, 2024
 47     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

So, why is everyone focusing specifically on immigrants anyway? Ford wouldn't win with just the new immigrant vote. Maybe it's because people here are shocked that immigrants are people that respect fiscal restraint too, and are not just some pitied-by-the-left demographic that automatically votes left because the left thinks they should.

In reflecting today I've really come to pin this on a failure of the left. It goes beyond Toronto, too. In a country that used to be known for its strong left-wing politics and politicians, there are very few bright stars out there today.

the problem with the left is that it is divided. remember how bad it was for the right when they were divided? now it's our turn. the liberals and ndp need to merge in order for the left to ever be relevant again.

Propagating the outdated idea that the left (or liberalism) as the diligent protector of the downtrodden or immigrant or ‘working class’ has long become laughable. They are simply enablers and poverty pimps, constantly dividing & conquering via the old Bolshevik staple, class-warfare. -but whatever.
Last night was harbinger of what’s to come. Next week the Commie clowns down south get spanked!

Liberalism has never been about protecting the downtrodden. It's incredible how terrible education truly is in this country. How can you possibly conflate liberalism with Bolshevism?

Now, I do find it interesting that neo-liberal (i.e. modern conservative) parties and people have managed to turn themselves into the 'common men' that protect their fellow peers against the 'elites.' Classic class warfare tactic, in reverse. It's also nice spin because a reduction in public services of course affects the common man while it hardly impacts the elites at all. Indeed, down south we do get a perfect example. The elites get generous tax cuts a la Bush while the middle class slowly disappears. And yet, the right campaigns on the 'common man' card! Bravo to the spin doctors since this is the sleight of hand that is hard to buy. And yet people do buy it. I mean, you've managed to swallow the whole thing hook, line, and sinker.

Last edited:
Propagating the outdated idea that the left (or liberalism)

Sorry to be all uppity about a small thing, but it's only in the United States that liberalism means left. I don't understand why, particularly. Libertarians are liberals (it's right there in the name), the root word here is liberty.

From Wikipedia:
Liberty is the concept of ideological and political philosophy that identifies the condition to which an individual has the right to behave according to one's own personal responsibility and free will.

Hardly a leftist manifesto.

the problem with the left is that it is divided. remember how bad it was for the right when they were divided? now it's our turn. the liberals and ndp need to merge in order for the left to ever be relevant again.
Hmmm... If the Liberals merged with the NDP and shifted further to the left, the Convservatives could just get their federal majority.

The only way I could really see merger helping is if the NDP shifted to the right to become very Liberal-like, but my guess is that all that would do is strengthen the Green party.

lordmandeep: But isn't it just as likely that Ford implodes like Larry O'Brien in Ottawa and the city moves left again?

As I said, the mods can delete the account, I want to be "simple man" now.

Yeah you are right...

People are just angry so in the short-term they will try anything new and different.
Republicans are not well liked in the polls, but people will come out and vote for them in huge numbers, why?

They just want to punish somebody.

I wonder how long it will take before Ford realizes simply cutting waste won't allow him to balance the budget without either raising taxes, cutting services, or both. Four years from now, Ford will get the boot just like Larry O'Brien got it last night.

And Mike Harris? These guys all run in the same circle. You're asking for too much from the common voter, unfortunately.

As a minority, I hate when elitist liberals come and talk down to our community. Ford came to the Sikh temple and talked well like a normal person... lol I was there and that is when I realized Ford is the choice and that he is not the great evil monster that the left makes him be.

I've listened to enough political speeches in Gudwara's before. He was pandering. Given the history of Ford up to this point, he likely got in his bus and made fun of all the turbans and kirpans.

Two weeks ago... for work. All I saw was a bunch of vacant lots at the foot of the Don Valley... looks really good.

Sounds like you went in with an open mind and made a real honest assessment...

Propagating the outdated idea that the left (or liberalism) as the diligent protector of the downtrodden or immigrant or ‘working class’ has long become laughable. They are simply enablers and poverty pimps, constantly dividing & conquering via the old Bolshevik staple, class-warfare. -but whatever.
Last night was harbinger of what’s to come. Next week the Commie clowns down south get spanked!

Right, Ayn Rand is going to swoop in and liberate them. Only in your wet dream.

I've listened to enough political speeches in Gudwara's before. He was pandering. Given the history of Ford up to this point, he likely got in his bus and made fun of all the turbans and kirpans.
Maybe, maybe not, but it's this sort of automatic assumption by some members of the left that pisses off people both on the left and the right.

anybody else notice the percents don't add up to 100%, only 96%
There were a lot of candidates who ran, not just three.

So he is a racist, but he went on to stage with flowers around his neck given by some Tamils???

He may have been indifferent to minorities but now they are a strong base for his support, I doubt he will act in such a manner again.
The Mayor of Brampton acted in the same way

Maybe, maybe not, but it's this sort of automatic assumption by some members of the left that pisses off people both on the left and the right.

Surely not an automatic assumption. It's not like Ford is subtle. As Roy G Biv notes, Ford has a certain history up to this point, so it's hardly unfair to make such assumptions.

Well the point is that even with Ford having the image of him being racist, he still won support from minorities.

Smitterman belonged to big Liberal machine that always wins massive support from minorities and he lost big time.

What happened???

I think a lot of them are fiscally conservative and were just angry at how City Hall was working for 8 years and Smitterman did not deliver a fiscally conservative message at all, while Ford was super successful at it.

Everyone knows the "gravy Train" now lol...

Last edited:

Back