News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 865     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

The gay thing may have factored in for some, but I don't think it was a major decider. I'm sensing that a lot of people who immigrate today do so in search of a kind of 'American Dream' - middle-class suburban life with strong ties to family and religious/cultural community and, beyond that, a government and an outside world that mostly stays out of their affairs and leaves them alone.

Honestly, your motivations make sense to me. And I think the fact that they do proves that the mega-city does not work. You don't give a shit about the waterfront, and I don't give a shit about your commute home. We should both support DE-AMALGAMATION.

Actually my commute takes me less than 20 minutes by car. By transit it takes me more than two hours one way. For me the 'mega-city' doesn't even come into it - it's done. And yes, our waterfront is is need of an overhaul with better public access - not just sold off to developers for more condos. The wasteful spending of my hard-earned tax dollars and the 'don't worry we know better than you so shut-up and just pay' attitude is what has pissed off a lot of Torontonians.

To classify everyone who voted for Ford as self-centered, narrow thinkers, with apathy towards the environment and no vision of Toronto for future generations is wrong. They are just sick and tired of having taxes shoved down their throats with little say as to how that money is used.

I don't mind paying my taxes as long as they are used wisely and that taxpayers are not treated as cash-cows.

I think the poll will show that Ford did quite well in several downtown wards, maybe even winning several of them, and took the majority of the immigrant vote.

I think many immigrants feel like they've been consistently pandered to by left-wing governments who love putting their faces on campaign literature but haven't done much to actually help them.

Yes, to a left-wing elitist an immigrant is always a pitiable, downtrodden and marginalized individual (or grouping of individuals) that needs special treatment or consideration. For Ford an immigrant is a Torontonian like any other.... and clearly his perception is the right one.

As a visible minority and son of immigrants, I will tell you why Ford was popular with immigrants: Most immigrants don't give a shit about yuppie issues like the environment, public spaces, the waterfront, the arts or anything that might propell Toronto to World-Class status.

I hate to break it to you fella but most people feel this way, and not just immigrants or 'visible minorities' which is why Ford has sailed into office. The right guy for the right times, so it would seem.

It's a little too easy to dismiss all Ford supporters as philistines, lovers of stucco, dispoilers of art, style and the environment etc. There was a lot of this going on under Miller, as I recall. It really just boils down to the very basic and essential tenet that you don't redecorate your house while the foundations are falling and this, rightly or wrongly, is the perception of many Torontonians, of all stripes. You only have to sit in traffic gridlock for three or four hours a day to get Ford's simple message loud and clear. Good grief, this is not rocket science.

As a visible minority and son of immigrants, I will tell you why Ford was popular with immigrants: Most immigrants don't give a shit about yuppie issues like the environment, public spaces, the waterfront, the arts or anything that might propell Toronto to World-Class status. Immigrants typically have less money, larger families, and less time. Ford's simple and populist message resonated with them, because all they care about is having more money in their pockets to spend on their families. I'm afraid that they don't realize the potential effects of the cuts someone like Ford will make, but since this requires some deep thinking, it's not populist and doesn't come into the picture.

All they care about is money in their pockets? Wow, what selfish buggers they are.. all they did was earn it. They really need to give more and make do with less so that some can have an easy ride, supported by the tax man's largess, forced from those that have actually earned it. Maybe you don't realize how hard it is for some to get by. Your arrogance is appalling, but is typical of the arts and crafts set in this city... everybody is wrong but you, no one gets it because they're too dumb and they need you to show them the light.

They are more concerned with paying the bills and putting food on the table... like the normal, average people they are. Taking a dump in a box and calling it art or a form of expression may appeal to a small minority of Torontonians, but most are just trying to get by. Do you really think that the average Torontonian cares about what you call art and culture when they're eking out an existence? If I had to choose between supporting the arts community and the hard working immigrant community in this city, sorry, arts lose. But I'm extremely biased in favour of the hard working immigrant, as my family arrived in Canada after WWII and still are working hard. I feel more affinity for the immigrant than I'd ever for the starving artist that lives off the taxpayer and really, really needs to get a day job if his/her art can't pay the freight.

This board shows the great disconnect. Many said the fees are not taxes.

They are not be definition taxes, but in the end people are paying more money to the govt to get the same services. Services have improved but not for people in the outskirts of the city.
When the Car registration tax was put in place, it was not used to increase funding for roads. If it was, people would not hate it so much.

Many think city hall wastes money and they assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the fees and taxes are just going to feed the "gravy train"

I think that city needs to go against the unions, there is no reason for anyone to be getting generous pay increases when the city cannot balance its budget. That is not hard right, that is just common sense. Same for councilors as well. IMO as a sign of change, Ford should freeze pay raises for councilors for the next 2 years. It makes no difference, but it reduce the great disconnect.

If the city did not give such huge increases in wages, all of the new fees and taxes would have kept the city in surplus for a while.

Yes, to a left-wing elitist an immigrant is always a pitiable, downtrodden and marginalized individual (or grouping of individuals) that needs special treatment or consideration. For Ford an immigrant is a Torontonian like any other.... and clearly his perception is the right one.

As a minority, I hate when elitist liberals come and talk down to our community. Ford came to the Sikh temple and talked well like a normal person... lol I was there and that is when I realized Ford is the choice and that he is not the great evil monster that the left makes him be.

Last edited:
This board shows the great disconnect. Many said the fees are not taxes.

They are not be definition taxes, but in the end people are paying more money to the govt to get the same services. Services have improved but not for people in the outskirts of the city.
When the Car registration tax was put in place, it was not used to increase funding for roads. If it was, people would not hate it so much.

Many think city hall wastes money and they assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the fees and taxes are just going to feed the "gravy train"

I think that city needs to go against the unions, there is no reason for anyone to be getting generous pay increases when the city cannot balance its budget. That is not hard right, that is just common sense. Same for councilors as well. IMO as a sign of change, Ford should freeze pay raises for councilors for the next 2 years. It makes no difference, but it reduce the great disconnect.

If the city did not give such huge increases in wages, all of the new fees and taxes would have kept the city in surplus for a while.

Again, I'm sympathetic because this is a view that a lot of people had, but most of it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The car registration tax is such a small revenue generator that I don't see much reason to get up in arms about it. To be honest, I think they should have only implemented it on people who live downtown where transit is better. So I'd pay it - maybe at a much higher rate($120/year?) - but you wouldn't. I'd gladly accept that.

'Fighting the Unions' is exactly what we saw last summer with the strike. A strike (or a lockout) is the only way to battle unions. In the end, the city got the concession they were looking for, but obviously did a lousy job of communicating that.

I think this election in particular shows that we don't pay our mayor enough. It's currently a sucker gig. Council salaries should simply be increased in line with inflation every year from now until eternity so we never have to deal with a lame-ass 'voting yourself a raise' argument ever again.

I am surprised and dumbfounded by how many Torontonians have never been to the lake and thus, could care less about the waterfront. That is until they discover it. It is what defines Toronto. It is why Toronto exsists at all. Until recently, it has been all but neglected by every level of government. So, I'm a bit confused by the notion that complains that we sold out to private condo developers and also thinks we can't afford to develop it. Waterfront Toronto and the plans in place, strike a balance between the public and private investment, without comprimising either. Not following through on these plans as Ford has suggested, will set the waterfront back years and Toronto back decades.

I am surprised and dumbfounded by how many Torontonians have never been to the lake and thus, could care less about the waterfront. That is until they discover it. It is what defines Toronto. It is why Toronto exsists at all. Until recently, it has been all but neglected by every level of government. So, I'm a bit confused by the notion that complains that we sold out to private condo developers and also thinks we can't afford to develop it. Waterfront Toronto and the plans in place, strike a balance between the public and private investment, without comprimising either. Not following through on these plans as Ford has suggested, will set the waterfront back years and Toronto back decades.

The 'sold out to condos' thing is particularly weird - what else was going to go there? I don't see an argument that there's not enough parkland. And unless you're Glen and expected, like, new foundries and processing plants, why shouldn't it be primarily residential?

Thankfully, if there's one thing Ford understands it's sports - a lot of the WaterfronToronto work over the next few years is focused on the Pan-Am Games. I think he'll be gung ho in supporting those plans.

If true, this is very odd. I mean, Ford goes on TV and basically says that there are enough Tamils in Toronto and immigration should be halted.

As a visible minority and son of immigrants, I will tell you why Ford was popular with immigrants: Most immigrants don't give a shit about yuppie issues like the environment, public spaces, the waterfront, the arts or anything that might propell Toronto to World-Class status. Immigrants typically have less money, larger families, and less time. Ford's simple and populist message resonated with them, because all they care about is having more money in their pockets to spend on their families. I'm afraid that they don't realize the potential effects of the cuts someone like Ford will make, but since this requires some deep thinking, it's not populist and doesn't come into the picture.

In the end, Ford was a straight family-man who doesn't go to the Opera. This is why he won over immigrants. However, I still don't get how his comments on immigration were completely glossed over.

What people overlook with respect to a lot of immigrants is that once they get here they stop caring about expanding immigration for others. Once they get into the club, they want to keep it exclusive. For a lot of immigrants, they last thing they want is their extended family joining them in Canada to lean on them for money and support. Certainly a lot of immigrants want to expand their communities, but there are also quite a few who have no particular sympathy or love for their countrymen.

Again, I'm sympathetic because this is a view that a lot of people had, but most of it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The car registration tax is such a small revenue generator that I don't see much reason to get up in arms about it. To be honest, I think they should have only implemented it on people who live downtown where transit is better. So I'd pay it - maybe at a much higher rate($120/year?) - but you wouldn't. I'd gladly accept that.

Because it's death by a thousand cuts. Oh, it's just a few dollars, sure, but a few here and a few there adds up to a lot.

I wonder how long it will take before Ford realizes simply cutting waste won't allow him to balance the budget without either raising taxes, cutting services, or both. Four years from now, Ford will get the boot just like Larry O'Brien got it last night.

This isn't meant to be sour grapes because in all honesty, while this election had huge turnout, the three candidates were extremely poor. Above all, I hope the city is successful, even if its direction conflicts with my own ideological bent. I hope TC is not delayed, funding put off, Hudak becomes the Premier, and we see no expansion for a decade.

What people overlook with respect to a lot of immigrants is that once they get here they stop caring about expanding immigration for others. Once they get into the club, they want to keep it exclusive. For a lot of immigrants, they last thing they want is their extended family joining them in Canada to lean on them for money and support. Certainly a lot of immigrants want to expand their communities, but there are also quite a few who have no particular sympathy or love for their countrymen.

i have encountered immigrants with the attitude you describe. anti-immigrant immigrants.

Because it's death by a thousand cuts. Oh, it's just a few dollars, sure, but a few here and a few there adds up to a lot.

Ford larger then expected win shows that people across the city agree with this message.

When people pay more taxes, they want services to improve, especially in today's times. If taxes are being charged on cars, people would want that money spent on roads, not to fix Nathan Phillips square.

BTW, the Square needs to be changed however the car taxes should have gone to fix up the roads only.

Back