News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 666     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

NEW POLL: Rob Ford would lose to Tory, Stintz & Chow

See link.

The findings come from a new Ipsos Reid poll done for NEWSTALK 1010

Mayor Rob Ford is headed for a bumpy road come election time, according to a new Ipsos Reid poll conducted exclusively for NEWSTALK 1010.

In four different scenarios and against various candidates, Rob Ford is bested by Karen Stintz, Olivia Chow and John Tory.
The poll was conducted between November 8-12, well before the latest allegations surrounding Ford surfaced. Newly released police reports include statements from the Mayor's former and current staffers that involve sex, drugs, and drunk driving.

Scenario 1: Karen Stintz beats Rob Ford in a three-way race

Chair of the TTC, Karen Stintz cruises to victory over Mayor Rob Ford and former councillor David Soknacki.

Stintz garnered 52 percent support, while Ford received 33 percent and Socknacki got only 14 percent.

58% of Torontonians say 'nothing short of an unforseen emergency could stop me from getting to the voting booth and casting my vote'

Scenario 2: NEWSTALK 1010's John Tory bests Karen Stintz, Rob Ford and David Soknacki.

Tory received 41 percent of the vote, then Karen Stintz followed with 30 percent, while Rob Ford received 22 percent and David Soknacki had 7 percent.

Scenario 3: Olivia Chow would beat Rob Ford.

John Tory is replaced by current federal NDP MP Olivia Chow.
Olivia Chow easily beats Rob Ford with 44 percent support. Rob Ford had 28 percent, then Karen Stintz at 22 percent and David Soknacki at 7 percent.

Scenario 4: Olivia Chow and John Tory would be in a tight race.

Olivia Chow edges out John Tory with 36 percent support, while Tory received 28 percent of the vote. Rob Ford got 20 percent support, Karen Stintz received 13 percent support and David Soknacki had 3 percent.

A sample of 665 Torontonians was interviewed via Ipsos' online panel.

In this case, the poll is accurate to within +/-4.3 percentage points had all adults living in Toronto been polled

From The National Post, at this link:

to1115_rob_ford_reelection_c_ab.jpg

Last edited:
How are people still willing to vote for Ford?

Anyway, I liked what I saw of Stintz in the city council yesterday, she won some points from me but I still can't let her flip flopping go.

There are still people calling into radio shows claiming that Ford saved the city from bankruptcy, tackled the unions and praising him for all kinds of accomplishments that never happened. Their support is completely illogical and just plain stupid. There is no explanation that I can think of.

You should have watched The Agenda tonight. They had a couple people on a panel who voted for Ford and still hadn't lost the faith. Neither was the stereotypical working class senior citizen from North Etobicoke. One was an apparently high-income old Toronto homeowner in maybe his 40s concerned about the tax hit and still upset about how Miller handled the strike. The other was a younger Libertarian man, responsive to issues like plastic bag taxes. Both were articulate, and said they'd vote for another conservative who could win election, but seemed ready to be unimpressed by people like Tory or Stintz. Seemed to be able to shrug off the freak show. There were a couple other young conservatives on the panel, but they hadn't voted for Ford last election. The young female seemed most sensible in her assessments of Ford's record.

There are still people calling into radio shows claiming that Ford saved the city from bankruptcy, tackled the unions and praising him for all kinds of accomplishments that never happened. Their support is completely illogical and just plain stupid. There is no explanation that I can think of.

there's a bit of the self-fulfilling prophecy at work too, right? i.e. one or two nutjobs call into CFRB 1010 and say that Ford's great because he saved the city from bankruptcy; other borderline-nutjobs who are listening figure that's the truth (because most CFRB radio hosts go along with the crackpots...) and then THEY call in and say the exact same thing.

I'd like to see prioritization without Ford's issues as a choice -- without this yahoo in the mix, what do Torontonians care about?

HTML:
S
Public transit.I just look at that graph and start at second-highest. Fordiot is dead to me.

I agree that it is likely public transit. I'd just like to see Ford taken out of the equation in these polls :). Well, to be frank, I'd like to see him taken out of the equation,period.

Hahahaaa, yeah, seriously.
I'm still saying defenestration.

I imagine it to be transit. It is for me, personally, and I drive to work (work truck). I take transit everywhere else though and, like lots of people, I realise that poor transit results in worse traffic which causes losses in productivity and in lower quality of life for everyone.

If there's one thing the province can do to help it's to fast track electoral reform and ranked ballots for the 2014 election. The Premier should be able to do this without waiting for agreement with the PCs or NDP.

Toronto council has already said they approve of ranked ballots http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/toronto-council-backs-electoral-reform/article12489136/

Of course, it is likely that Ford would have still won the last election even with ranked ballots. But this sets the bar a little higher.

Last edited:

Back