News   Jul 17, 2024
 440     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 970     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Intellect does not mean pandering to the status quo. The current system of funding Catholic schools but not other religions is immoral, and has been condemned by the UN. I agree with him, that either all religious schools get funded or none do.
I agree Catholic schools should no longer get funding. However, that wasn't his platform... which is my point.

It was a completely boneheaded move as a politician, and also inappropriate IMO in terms of Canada in the 21st century.

Anyways, I guess the good news is that policy within the Catholic school system is ever so slowly changing anyway. AFAIK, religious classes are no longer mandatory for students attending a Catholic high school.

Last edited:
Anyways, I guess the good news is that policy within the Catholic school system is ever so slowly changing anyway. AFAIK, religious classes are no longer mandatory for students attending a Catholic high school.

"religious classes are no longer mandatory" & therefore what's the point of a Catholic School System ?

I fully supported Tory's School Plan he just sold it wrong or should I say made a complete mess in not selling it.

Because the alternatives are quite frankly unpalatable. Having a Red Tory at the helm of the city isn't that bad an idea in my books.

Proof from experience
crombie.jpg

Looks like Rob Ford is kicking off his campaign. There was a gaggle of supporters with "FORD FOR MAYOR" signs at Nathan Phillips Square this morning.

So is Ford just going to be competing with Rossi for votes (at least may take a few percent that Rossi might have had), which will benefit Smitherman?

I just spoke to a moderately apolitical person who's seriously considering Thompson. She's definitely the sleeper candidate. In Waterloo an unknown woman won the mayor's race last time against the incumbent and a prominent former mayor because of a desire for sharp change.

Tory's problem is an ideological one - being an old-style progressive conservative is so ingrained in him that he doesn't realize that his preferred style of party died a slow death over the past decade, beaten to a pulp by the American neoconservative movement, Mike Harris and Stephen Harper.

Continuing to try to play to that base destroyed his career.

Maybe the world needs some more "old style" conservatives....

Many people will try to attack his personal character...
Yes, he's not exactly our idea of a politician, but I think that's exactly what the city needs. A no-nonsense guy to call it what it is and clean up city hall!

Rob ford is the laxative that will FLUSH City Hall clean!

I can see Adam Vaghaun having nightmares now LOL!

Geez, first it's Rossi, and now it's Ford...just exactly who is it that we "need"? No non-sense? He sure has gotten into quite a bit of it during his "reign".

And no, Ford isn't laxative (though he sure can use some)...he is more like cholera.

AoD

Last edited:
Maybe the world needs some more "old style" conservatives....

yes we do! Many Red tories feel homeless, the Liberals at all levels seem to have no real dicrection, modern Conservatives (Ontario PC's too) are trying their best to become clones of the GOP. We need a real fiscally responsible but socially progressive option. To clarify, by 'fiscally progressive' I mean a concern that deficits don't get too high, but without the neoconservative belief that all government intervention is inherently bad. I get scared when governments sell public assets.

That sounds like the Liberals to me. They solved the deficit federally (and provincially before the latest crisis) without sacrificing social programs and they made great strides for social equality in areas like same-sex marriage.

Back