News   Jul 17, 2024
 442     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 974     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Lame duck lingers at TTC

Toronto's list of candidates running for mayor recently got shorter with Councillor Adam Giambrone finally completing the paperwork necessary to formally remove his name. But Giambrone's work in stepping down is incomplete: he should listen to the many voices in the community urging him to resign as chair of the Toronto Transit Commission.

Given the formidable challenges it faces, the TTC needs a firm hand on the throttle as it powers into the 21st century. And Giambrone's image and authority remain critically weakened by the sex-and-lies scandal that forced him out of the mayoral race 10 days after entering it.

-

Moreover, it is highly unlikely that Giambrone would be named to head the TTC, even if he should return to council. His mentor, Mayor David Miller, is leaving and the leading candidates in the mayoral race clearly don't want him chairing Canada's largest transit authority.

-

But the fact remains that he is not just a "lame duck" chair of the TTC, but a tainted one at that. Given the disarray evident at the transit system, and an undeniable loss of public confidence in this essential commuter service, Giambrone should go now rather than later.

Just when you think the race couldn't get any crazier: Rob Ford is all but announcing that he's running for Mayor [link].

... I seriously can't wait for him to announce. Running for Mayor means he can't run for councillor. Good riddance!

We currently don't have a joke candidate, since Giambrone left. If Ford enters, he will fill the void.

I do hope that Ford continues to press the issue of untaxed benefits for city councillors though. I find it rather amusing that the card-carrying lefties in city council have no problem accepting all these untaxed perks.

Sarah Thomson bringin up some big issues!!!

It's too bad that

a) that toll would be permanent
b) the piggies at city hall would find a way to put that money into their slush fund so the subways would never get built.

Last edited:
He's proven time and again that campaigning with intellect doesn't win an election. Why would he bother?

Until there is a candidate WORTH voting for mayor in this election, I'm gonna vote for this Onion Ring for the time being:

onion-ring.jpg

kettal:

He's proven time and again that campaigning with intellect doesn't win an election. Why would he bother?

Because the alternatives are quite frankly unpalatable. Having a Red Tory at the helm of the city isn't that bad an idea in my books. Sans government paying for religious schools, that is.

AoD

Well, the statement "campaigning with intellect" may not necessarily apply, as his faith-based schools platform was one of the most boneheaded I've seen in a very long time.

It was interesting to see the right, left, invisible majority, and visible minorities unite against him on this issue.

Tory's problem is an ideological one - being an old-style progressive conservative is so ingrained in him that he doesn't realize that his preferred style of party died a slow death over the past decade, beaten to a pulp by the American neoconservative movement, Mike Harris and Stephen Harper.

Continuing to try to play to that base destroyed his career.

Tory's problem is an ideological one - being an old-style progressive conservative is so ingrained in him that he doesn't realize that his preferred style of party died a slow death over the past decade, beaten to a pulp by the American neoconservative movement, Mike Harris and Stephen Harper.

Continuing to try to play to that base destroyed his career.
Good point. If he switched to a Liberal card and kept his opinions 99% the same, he would likely be 50% more electable (in Toronto at least).

Well, the statement "campaigning with intellect" may not necessarily apply, as his faith-based schools platform was one of the most boneheaded I've seen in a very long time.

It was interesting to see the right, left, invisible majority, and visible minorities unite against him on this issue.

Intellect does not mean pandering to the status quo. The current system of funding Catholic schools but not other religions is immoral, and has been condemned by the UN. I agree with him, that either all religious schools get funded or none do.

Back