News   Mar 28, 2024
 437     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 382     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 731     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

I hate to double post, but I did a little sleuthing (more like comparing) on SSC that I thought I'd post here:

Doesn't it beg the question: Why do you need a watermain under a parking lot? I'm sure you might, but the way they've dug it up looks like they'll be adding more standalone retail. Just a guess. More of the same. Any other big-box/small-box shops that might want to open up here? Bed, Bath & Beyond maybe?

Edit: after looking at this site plan, I think this is the new Square One Drive retail, or at least, preparation for it:

2259848074_7b69b02230_o.jpg

Compare that map with the above pictures. You can see on the plan that further retail is planned directly west of the current LCBO/Spence/Boston Pizza/Panera on Square One drive, which is exactly where they're working. The configuration of the first section is slightly different than the original plan (Block C was moved much closer to Square One Dr, Block D was combined with Block B and along City Centre Dr rather than set back from the street as originally planned)

(to compare the original plan with the existing look at Square One's retail leasing PDF: http://www.oxfordproperties.com/leas.../29810_RFP.pdf)

It looks like next up are Blocks E, F, G and H. However, the location of Block E is not enclosed, so it might come later. From the looks of it, it's probably meant for a big box retailer. Block E goes in between where the fence is and the connector road to Rathburn is (before the bus terminal). Blocks F, G and H are all a lot smaller spaces and should be part of the construction now. They should be a lot easier for Oxford to lease out than the Future Shop-sized space that is Block E (I have no idea if it's Future Shop-sized, but it looks it, and FS or BB could definitely set up shop here. See: Scarborough Town Centre's Best Buy).

EDIT: the picture from SSC I was using as a reference (photo credit: Jasonzed):

08122009a028.jpg

08122009a002.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt it's expansion. Nothing has been approved. However I suppose it could be for future expansion, in theory.

The infrastructure in the whole area around Square One is getting old. In the last year, they have replaced the watermains and electric lines all around the City Centre. This would appear to be more of the same.

Plus, the sign on the fence says 'completion date: August 2009' - so nothing too ambitious is happening.

I doubt it's expansion. Nothing has been approved. However I suppose it could be for future expansion, in theory.

The infrastructure in the whole area around Square One is getting old. In the last year, they have replaced the watermains and electric lines all around the City Centre. This would appear to be more of the same.

Plus, the sign on the fence says 'completion date: August 2009' - so nothing too ambitious is happening.

The watermain thing will be done this month, sure, but I can't see them digging up that whole parking lot for a watermain. A watermain isn't 50 feet wide.

And how do you know nothing is approved? Did you pay attention to all the approvals issued prior to the construction of the LCBO/Boston Pizza/Panera/Spence and the same approvals haven't been issued here?

Sq One Expasion (MCC)

If you see the work taking place in the north-east corner of Sq One Parking lot, the parking lot is been rebuilt not for parking but expansion.

If you look close, the elevation is been raise to be level with Rathurn Dr. It goes alone with all the new waterline taking place around the mall.

This is where the new grocery store is going to go alone with a Bistro, Castle & Barrel and a number of other things.

No formal plan is ready to be presented to Planning and Development as well Council. It should surface in early 2010.

Having the grocery store is long over due for this area considering there was one there years ago of all things.

This expansion will see a lost of 500 to 1,000 parking spaces as well where does the snow now get store since this area was used for it. It could mean the long plan parking structure plan for north of Wal-Mart may now take place and a mistake.

Now when does Wal-Mart move ahead with the expansion for this store? I prefer it go up than out.

I hope this expansion is not single units like the ones that were done to the east last year.

There goes the idea and location of a new bus terminal that is badly needed now.

Yeah, I think they're really screwing up the north side of SQ1. There is no way that they should be sprinkling pad stores into that area.

I do think that multi-level parking can be OK, though. I've been pondering his for a while and think if they went 3 or 4 levels (hear me out...), but enclosed all sides with ground level retail and 2nd floor offices - and continue the "storefront" type cladding all the way up, that a more "urban village" type atmosphere can be built, while adding overall parking capacity to ensure the increased demands are met. They could do whole blocks like this, adding both 1000s o parking spaces AND decent sized retail and service locations.

The transit hub does need to be expanded, you're right, but it's possible they already have something else in mind that would also accommodate the proposed LRT line?

This is where the new grocery store is going to go alone with a Bistro, Castle & Barrel and a number of other things.

I already posted about this in this post in the Retail forum: http://urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=302452&postcount=227

The plan for the north side of Square One is laid out clearly. I'll repost it here for clarity:

2259848074_7b69b02230_o.jpg

Main things to note are the parking structure north Sears, directly east of the CCTT, parking structure in between Sears and Wal-Mart, and parking structure to the west of Zellers fronting onto Duke of York. I think it's more of an ultimate plan, rather than a right now plan. I don't think they need three additional parking structures at this time. A good portion of the new retail fronts onto Square One Drive.

Also of note is the expansion of the upper level above the lower level in the Sears/Zellers parking lot (i.e. above where Bulk Barn, Shoppers Drug Mart and Tim Hortons are and the exit from the lower level to the middle of the parking lot) and apparently some expansion of the mall to the west of the Bay (although that may change with the Main Street plans).

Forum member airstream on SSC has posted the following:

...and the winner is.....Crate and Barrel. I have just seen builder's plans for Crate and Barrel "Square One Project - Block 3"

Without taking measurements, it looks just shy of 10,000sq ft. Which could be about the size of "Block F"

Very cool. Thanks for that tidbit. They are opening a Calgary store now, so I guess the Canadian expansion is going well. It will be nice to see Square One get some non-fashion retail.

On a separate note, Erin Mills Town Centre is getting an LCBO and a bunch of other pad retailers on one of the SW outparcels (near Tim Horton's).

Fossil is back at Square One again.

8334_162997481598_81437751598_3253009_2444955_n.jpg

Smaller but still sweet. My friend works there.

PINK is opening on the 29th. According to their site, their Conestoga Mall location opened on the 15th, Mapleview on the 22nd, and Vaughan Mills will open on November 5th.

I read an article a while back that said Victoria's Secret will be coming next year. I'm not sure how they'll be able to justify having 4 stores in Square One (La Senza, La Senza Express, Pink and Victoria's Secret). My guess is they'll consolidate the La Senzas into one store, keep Pink separate, and have Victoria's Secret separate. Unless they plan to just upgrade the La Senza store into a Victoria's Secret and just leave La Senza at second-rate malls. We'll see next year I guess.

Well, I did notice that the La Senza Sport in the TD Centre went to being just plain La Senza FWIW...

La Senza Girl at Square One became VS Pink, so it stands to reason that La Senza could become a Victoria's Secret.

Construction on the Bath & Body Works at Square One is finally moving along. In a short period of time, Limited Brands has become one of the larger tenants in the mall (4 stores).

Back