News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 786     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

I hope not. All of the urban format stores charge ridiculous prices, like $7.00 for a box of Oatmeal Crisp Triple Berry Crunch cereal.

Wtf.

I'd rather see Loblaws too, but 40,000 sq. ft. is not going to be a Loblaws, unless they're going to launch some sort of new urban format like other grocers.

Do you happen to know off-hand how big a typical Loblaws is? If Loblaws did want the spot, they'd surely have the pull to allow a slightly larger store. After all, the only square footage from that PDF that is for certain is the 24,000 sq ft Crate & Barrel. The others aren't leased yet, so they're subject to change.

40,000 sqft is not very small for a grocery store. Most No Frills-type stores are smaller. That's big enough for a compact full-range grocery store.

I'd rather it wasn't a whole foods. I want a proper grocery store that sells regular stuff, considering City Centre doesn't have a regular store, it should at least have one before a specialty store. I'm hoping for a Sobeys or IGA.

I guess "regular stuff" is in the eye of the beholder. Considering that so many mainstream brands barely qualify as food in many respects, I personally feel there is a lot more "regular stuff" (i.e. real food) on the shelves at Whole Foods than many of the larger chains.

But from a price perspective, Whole Foods is really in a class of its own.

Regarding the above discussion, there was a good article on La Senza in the Globe and Mail today. It talks about Victoria's Secret opening 10-15 stores in Canada's "top malls" starting in 2010 with Ontario.

Anyone know where or speculate where the first location will open? Yorkdale perhaps?

La Senza Sharpens Its Focus

Do you happen to know off-hand how big a typical Loblaws is? If Loblaws did want the spot, they'd surely have the pull to allow a slightly larger store. After all, the only square footage from that PDF that is for certain is the 24,000 sq ft Crate & Barrel. The others aren't leased yet, so they're subject to change.

No, but I figure it's definitely larger than 40,000 sq. ft.
I haven't been, but the Sobeys at Citygate is 20,000 sq. ft. if that gives some sort of reference to size.

Regarding the above discussion, there was a good article on La Senza in the Globe and Mail today. It talks about Victoria's Secret opening 10-15 stores in Canada's "top malls" starting in 2010 with Ontario.

Anyone know where or speculate where the first location will open? Yorkdale perhaps?

La Senza Sharpens Its Focus

For first high profile Ontario location, my guess would be a mall that has a PINK store already, since they are often in the same mall (e.g. Northshore Mall near Boston). So Vaughan Mills, Square One, Mapleview and Conestoga Mall. Although by next year, I'm sure Eaton Centre, Yorkdale and Sherway will all have PINK, and they're all prime candidates for Victoria's Secret.

I suspect that the following chains would not move in to the SQ1 location because they already have outlets fairly close the MCC. This would be especially important for those chains that are franchised (e.g. No Frills).

- Loblaw (Dundas & Mavis...fairly close by the standards of their chain)
- Metro (Iona Square)
- Food Basics (Hurontario & Eglinton, Hurontario & Dundas)
- Price Chopper (Hurontario & Bristol, Hurontario & Dundas)
- No Frills (Mavis & Eglinton, Rathburn & Tomken, Creditview & Burnhamthorpe)

The only major chain that isn't relatively close is Sobeys. They would also fit the location size.

There's also a Food Basics at Central Parkway & Burnhamthorpe. That and Metro are the closest grocery stores to the City Centre.

I also believe it will be a Sobeys. It makes sense, plus with their urban format stores.
I think a Whole Foods might open in the podium of Chicago, which is where another store is supposed to go as far as I know.

There's also a Food Basics at Central Parkway & Burnhamthorpe. That and Metro are the closest grocery stores to the City Centre.

I also believe it will be a Sobeys. It makes sense, plus with their urban format stores.
I think a Whole Foods might open in the podium of Chicago, which is where another store is supposed to go as far as I know.

Could it be a Longo's? The nearest one is at Rathburn & Ponytrail, I think.

Is that Costco-esque grocery in the plaza at Confederation & Central Pkwy still around?

Bath & Body Works opens in Square One on November 29th.
They are located on the Upper Level near Wal-Mart, across from Banana Republic.

Back