News   Jul 23, 2024
 511     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.3K     3 

New Pole Wraps Successfully Reduce Streetscape Clutter

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think this is a huge success. The new pole wraps have completely killed off the visual garbage that has been part of dowtown Toronto for years. No more posters all over the place. Just looking down King Street it's amazing how uncluttered the street looks. And it's way more politically correct than leaving out rat poision for the carnies that put those posters up. :cool:

Horray new poll wraps!

479471_10152052114190297_1776614158_o.jpg

Funny, now the biggest clutter are derelict bicycles that get locked up and forgotten until they turn into wheeless rusted frames.

Last edited:
Is that interlock pattern absolutely necessary? I think they'd look super sharp if they were simply a solid colour, whether be it grey or another colour associated with that neighborhood.

Not to be too anal but could someone please correct spelling in thread title? A pole is just a pole!

BTW I noticed yesterday that some of the metal poles on the east side of Bay Street just north of Albert Street have been painted silver - they look much better but I doubt this was a City initiative so it will probably not spread.

The glue doesn't stick to the surface and the posters just pop off. The carnies get mad and crawl back under the bridge where they came from. Although eventually the carnies will rise up and have their revenge on us now that we've taken away their sole source of income.

how do these pole wrap prevent ppl from taping/gluing posters over the wrap?

They have a texture like sandpaper. Try to glue something to sandpaper. It just peels off. These have been excellent. Let's get them on Queen St. West pronto Toronto!

Last edited:
It's good to see rampant postering being addressed because it exacerbates our shabby public realm and trashes our streets. But we need to make sure that at the end of the day, it's still possible to poster for community purposes. Public postering should be limited to strategically placed street furniture designed specifically for this purpose. Pedestrian flow should not be interrupted or restricted, but the furniture should be noticeable, inviting, and accessible. Anyone who posters for commercial purposes on these pieces of street furniture should be fined. Astral's present community announcement pillars are inadequate: they're small, few in number, and uninviting in their bland design. In fact, the community announcement pillars are belittled by Astral's transit shelter ads and the infamous Info-to-Go pillars.

"New pole wraps reduce clutter, inflict hideous repeating design on city streets"

It's a herringbone paving or flooring pattern, one of the most popular patterns for its elegant texture. But they should save it for the sidewalks.

Last edited:
Why do you think it's better on the sidewalks than on the poles? I'm curious.

I think those patterns work best on a smaller scale. Here it's in your face and I would suggest it works best on a flat rather than curved surface. Perhaps if the "grout' was of lower contrast it would also work better.

Back