News   Jul 23, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 556     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.6K     3 

New Pole Wraps Successfully Reduce Streetscape Clutter

The Info-to-Go pillars often block the view of the street. I am not interested in whatever beer that is advertised on it (yes, I am a teetotaller) or whatever.

Sometimes, I wish there were a community billboard to post posters without having to post them on the poles. Another thing, I sometimes with the Info-to-Go pillars were replaced with community billboards.

I was performing my usual poster-removing public service, along my residential street, a couple of days ago when a resident ( a new resident, I think ... ) called out to me in a rather indignant tone, "What are you doing?". I ignored him, since it was pretty obvious what I was doing and carried on to the next utility pole. So he then accosted me with, "Why are you doing that?" so I said, "Because I want to." to which he replied, "Well, that answer's not good enough for me." as if I was supposed to care. Very odd. I just ignored him again and carried on, and he left me alone.

Why do you think it's better on the sidewalks than on the poles? I'm curious.

I think those patterns work best on a smaller scale. Here it's in your face and I would suggest it works best on a flat rather than curved surface. Perhaps if the "grout' was of lower contrast it would also work better.

I think it's more appropriate for sidewalks simply in light of urban design traditions. The herringbone pattern evokes traditional ornamental paving but not ornamental street light pole design from any era. So I'd rather have a traditional paving pattern used for paving, and not to ornament a street light pole. It doesn't look bad, but I doubt there's any historical basis or practicality for using this traditional brick or tile design in this context (as actual brick or tile). Historical design ideas should have some historical awareness, assuming there are no poles in any city ornamented with a herringbone pattern of tiles.

I was performing my usual poster-removing public service, along my residential street, a couple of days ago when a resident ( a new resident, I think ... ) called out to me in a rather indignant tone, "What are you doing?". I ignored him, since it was pretty obvious what I was doing and carried on to the next utility pole. So he then accosted me with, "Why are you doing that?" so I said, "Because I want to." to which he replied, "Well, that answer's not good enough for me." as if I was supposed to care. Very odd. I just ignored him again and carried on, and he left me alone.

Well done!

iamapole.jpg

I don't get it. Why are people so offended by postering of poles? It's part of what makes this ugly city interesting. The city is becoming sterile enough as it is, what harm does postering for local music/arts possibly do?

I don't get it. Why are people so offended by postering of poles? It's part of what makes this ugly city interesting. The city is becoming sterile enough as it is, what harm does postering for local music/arts possibly do?

No it's not part of what makes this "ugly" city interesting. What's interesting is that you consider Toronto an ugly city, yet you're in favour of something that makes it look worse. The ripped up posters, paper bits, glue and the dirt that sticks to it, are what makes this city look dirty, degraded and neglected. (How can anybody call neglect a good thing?) Who wants everything covered with paste and the dirt that sticks to it? It's not just on poles but on just about every object, that doesn't move. It's also done excessively. I'll bet it worse here than any other city in the world. I've certainly never seen it this bad anywhere that I have traveled. (and that's almost all the world capitals) I don't think any tourist sees our dirty street posts and thinks, "I wish we had that in my city". It at least needs to be brought under some kind of control because right now, it's just ridiculous.

Not ugly? For example, Queen West near the Gladstone was an interesting part of the city, now they have built the Bohemian Embassy and torn down the big old brick warehouse on Abell St that was unofficial affordable housing for artists, soon to be replaced with more generic schlock. What isn't ugly is rapidly disappearing and being 'cleansed' into profitable, banal, and ugly urban fabric.

Of course there are exceptions, but when you look at what Liberty Village and surrounding districts has become, it's very discouraging. Frankly I'd take the ramshackle power lines and plastered telephone poles of old Queen West over the cleansed version of the city any day.

There's no correlation between high streetscaping standards and sterility. Removing posters and wooden hydro poles doesn't make an area sterile. Where do people get these ideas?

There's no correlation between high streetscaping standards and sterility. Removing posters and wooden hydro poles doesn't make an area sterile. Where do people get these ideas?

These elements change the physical appearance and ambiance of a street considerably - this much is fact. The impact these differences make is subjective. "Sterility' is subjective.

In my opinion the historic photo, with all of it's clutter, has more ambiance, character, and embodies a greater sense of place than the contemporary image.

The first (historic) photo is full of visual cues, it's unmistakable, the second (contemporary) photo could be anywhere.

7873641988_dfa2207887_b.jpg

7873641330_ee33361215_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back