News   Jul 23, 2024
 521     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 437     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 476     0 

New GO Transit Locomotives

Just so we're clear. How are we defining a third world country?

Bangkok is a clean and modern city, but there are many impoverished areas of Thailand. You could say the same thing about Canada (i.e: life on native reserves).

Bangkok is a clean and modern city
It is only in certain parts.

Like 99% of these third world cities, they have very nice areas and then very crappy slums.

Oh gosh, hmmm , good third world transport... Bangkok?
You have to be kidding me. Have you taken transit in Bangkok? While the subway runs well, it isn't that extensive, and doesn't quite get where most people want to go. The Skytrain is also quite limited - though at least well-used. Extensions have been tied up in politics for years. What most people have to use are buses. And they are a disaster - stuck in traffic most of the time. It can take hours to get somewhere. I know people in the suburbs who have to having apartments further into town, because the commute is dreadful. I've tended to do it off-peak, and your crammed into small unair-conditioned buses, when it's 40 degrees outside - it's quite dreadful. I've never seen anything like it in Toronto. If they get built the extensions and new lines they are talking about, then they might be getting somewhere - but that is decades away.

But perhaps you can describe your experiences in Bangkok?

n:

Since you ask in such a charmingly patronizing manner, I can only respond - no, I'm not kidding and yes, I have taken transit in Bangkok.

My experiences are that getting from point A to point B - whether by rail, taxi, motorbike taxi, river boat but never tuk tuk - is generally much less of a hassle than in Toronto and, for a middle class person, still relatively cheap.

If I can stick to the skytrain or subway, the system is fast, reliable, clean and technologically advanced. Some would probably say they put Toronto to shame. The buses are as you describe.

So, in summary:
Urban rail systems - advantage Bangkok.
Buses - advantage Toronto.
Taxi - advantage Bangkok.
Boat, motorcycle taxi - NA.

I get by very well in Bangkok without a car. In Toronto, even with an apartment on Bay Street, I need a car. Otherwise it is extortionately expensive, e.g. taxi from downtown to Markham, or takes for ever unless going from one subway stop to another.

a

There are three our four in service, a few just received, and I think one is in transit.

They are running 10 coach trains on the Lakeshore line (both) right now. There were unconfirmed reports that one was on the Milton line. 12 coach service on the Milton line starts this summer.

I saw one of the new coaches being tested on the milton line last summer, it was around noon at kipling station, and it was pulling 14 cars, likely empty though.

I see almost all morning trains running in service at kipling, and I have not noticed any of them using the new coaches, but they are all 12 car trains

I saw one of the new coaches being tested on the milton line last summer, it was around noon at kipling station, and it was pulling 14 cars, likely empty though.

I see almost all morning trains running in service at kipling, and I have not noticed any of them using the new coaches, but they are all 12 car trains

How can they be pulling 12 cars with the old locos?

They can pull 12 coaches, they just can't provide the extra 2 with heat and power so what's there's no point.

A very reliable source insists that we won't see 12 coaches till summer.

May be mistaken on that 12 car thing, likely is only 10 right now. I see them go by everyday and for some reason i was always thinking 12..... check tomorrow though...

edit... yep, its only 10 cars

May be mistaken on that 12 car thing, likely is only 10 right now. I see them go by everyday and for some reason i was always thinking 12..... check tomorrow though...

I can think of at least a dozen times where I'm counting coaches and lose track. No worries.

It was just wishful thinking:cool:

I saw one at Union Station...

It was picking up a stalled Go Locomotive and was pushing 10 cars and the locomotive.

People were saying it looked rather sleek and cool... :D

It was, hope they bring those out, they look really cool and modern. Perhaps will make the system look more modern...

The TTC always seems to be stuck between the 70's and 80's and GO is stuck in the early 90's imo... I am talking about the way it looks.

It was pushing me to Aldershot today on train 913.

I miss shooting it over the 16 mile creek by 15 minutes as I had to catch my train home again. Got a blur photo of 605 as it pass me going the other way at Clarkson.

Caught a video of it as it pull into Port Credit at 18:19

I found the ride between Clarkson and Oakville was faster along with the acceleration from Clarkson station compare to my past trips. After Oakville, it ran normal service.

It did the slow crawl in Aldershot with track crew working on the north stub track at King Rd. Must still working on the tracks caused by the derailment.

Noticed 4 sets of switches sitting at Burlington Junction waiting for placement.

bus_Delhi.JPG

^^^Not much better. If our climate were warmer, we would probably be doing the same thing.

By third world I meant parts of eastern Europe- Bulgaria, Turkey, hell, Russia- and if you don't define these countries as 3rd world, then I don't think you can compare.

We are still using Arsenic dipped rail-ties on under our tracks, and trains which run from diesel run locomotives. While the interiors etc. are more modern, the overall train system is not. Even India, by most people's definitions a third world country, has electric-rail - they even use concrete rail-ties, and not timber soaked in arsenic/formaldehyde..

Anyways, I am preaching to the choir here, and if you don't think so, then you don't...

p5

Back