News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 804     0 

New CBC documentary: Let's All Hate Toronto

Toronto's allegedly dangerous status has always mystified me. Are we even among the top 10 Canadian cities for homicide rates?
Nope, it's in the middle of the pack for homicide. And it has one of the lowest overall crime rates in the country.

To those who went to see the film, what was it like in Winnipeg? I found that city different than most others because people there, I found, were either indifferent or say thing like "I've been to Toronto. Nice city." No resentment, though I was corrected on my eastern/French prouncation of their main street, Portage, which they pronounce with that west of Thunder Bay method, Pour-tege.

St. John's had the most anti-Toronto sentiment I found (I found this most in the taxi from the airport), but it was more an anti-central Canada sentiment. However, they did seem resigned to losing the St. John's Maple Leafs, the mood being more like thanks for 10 years that they had there, let's get a QMJHL team, or an Atlantic League or something like that.

Yeah, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Regina and Saskatoon have much higher violent crime rates. Toronto isn't that bad. I think one year Victoria was statistically the most dangerous.

I have always found Winnipeg to be quite accepting of Toronto, and other cities as well. It's always given me a soft spot for the Peg.

You left off Vancouver, whose crime rates are right up there with its western sisters. Someone from Vancouver commented to me about Toronto's crime rate once, I responded, "well, that's funny coming from someone who lives in a city where 70 prostitutes went missing and no one noticed".

^Not to mention being the home of those responsible for the Air India tragedy--the biggest mass murder in Canadian history.

It's also interesting how people in the R.O.O. (Rest of Ontario) perceive Toronto, never mind the R.O.C. I've heard both hatred and affection, depends on how you were raised I guess.

I guess I grew up in ROO. There isn't really much animosity towards Toronto at all in my experience. Most people comment on the perception of quality of life issues... traffic, living on top of your neighbours, long commutes, high cost of living.

In Quebec growing up in the 80's I was as indifferent to toronto as I was to Boston or any other city. From what I recall so where my friends. There was a sense of rivalry in Montreal but that is expected considering their history as Canada's largest cities.

Growing up in London Ontario I don't think there was much anti-Toronto sentiment. The bigger issue is the feeling that Toronto "has everything" so why are they asking for more.

I agree. The primary sentiment in Southwestern Ontario is frustration with the way Toronto asks for more funds. It's too much "You should be so grateful for all we do for you. Give us more money," and not enough "Cities are underfunded and the structure is tilted against them. We need to redress that imbalance."

Ah, yes, reporting after the fact...

Well, the film is too repetitive, and the action onscreen is accompanied by a really sophomoric narration (which I think is supposed to sound like a comic book or a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon, so to impart superhero qualities to our protagonist, 'Mr. Toronto'), but it's all done in good humour, and some of the jokes are actually somewhat clever.

Each HotDocs ticket allows one to rate the film from 1 to 5 (stars). This one's a solid 3. It's not good enough to be a turning point in the history of Toronto-hating, although some viewers from the R.O.C. may be charmed enough to cool their rhetoric somewhat. I wouldn't bother going to a cinema to see it (like I already did) - I'd wait until it shows up on the CBC.

Albert Nerenberg does the hilarious "Trailervision" site, and did a film called "Stupidity" a while back (worth a watch, and you'll see a similar style). No one should have expected his film to be serious.

When in Montreal, Nerenberg was a member of "Theatre Shmeatre" at McGill. He was also the editor of the McGill Daily.

I don't think anyone did expect it to be serious.

I went to see it today,,
I thought it was Ok... it sorts of ended grimmly.. taking the notion that no one hates Toronto as much as Torontonians do and that we are not actually what we claim to be.. which I don't think is true.. it does bring out good points, and really makes you aware of the mentality of people across our country...

it made for good entertainment!

I guess I grew up in ROO. There isn't really much animosity towards Toronto at all in my experience. Most people comment on the perception of quality of life issues... traffic, living on top of your neighbours, long commutes, high cost of living.

Growing up in Hamilton and area one frequently heard/hears negative comments about Toronto. I've always viewed it as bitterness/jealousy, but then I've always been a fan of the T.dot!!

Back