News   Jul 04, 2024
 258     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 530     1 

Neptis' Review of Metrolinx's Big Move

I think NIMBY has come to just mean "local complainers".

Or, more like, "not in my backyard, without ensuring the greatest possible benefit to me personally".

Or, more like, "not in my backyard, without ensuring the greatest possible benefit to me personally".

Even if what they want actually has negative effects, such as restoring the Leslie stop.

Comparing the oakwood stop to the Leslie stop is crazy. First of all there are not very many people living at Leslie (whoever can fit in those few condos).. Second there isn't much land to redevelop unless they knock out that Toyota dealership (its mostly surrounded by parkland). Oakwood on the other hand will be in a pedestrian friendly neighborhood which will have a major bus routenconnected to it. Also oakwood is also seeing some condos being built so the area will continue to grow. Finally oakwood population financial demographic skews them towards being more transit oriented vs the pricey condos on Leslie stop short drive from the dvp.

Honestly once we start talking about eliminating stations I can't help but think how hypocritical that is unless you are going to put avenue on that same chopping block. Avenue has almost zero land around to redevelop. It's residents are above the middle class level and clearly will be much more driver oriented. The only thing going for it is the eglinton way shopping strip. But the residents themselves taking transit. Good luck.

Again where I live on eglinton people opposed the project altogether because the demographic was rich older people who would never take transit and or won't be alive by the time the lrt opens. That sure sounds like the demographic of avenue road as well but because it has a fancy name no one on here has ever suggested chopping it.

Comparing the oakwood stop to the Leslie stop is crazy. First of all there are not very many people living at Leslie (whoever can fit in those few condos).. Second there isn't much land to redevelop unless they knock out that Toyota dealership (its mostly surrounded by parkland). Oakwood on the other hand will be in a pedestrian friendly neighborhood which will have a major bus routenconnected to it. Also oakwood is also seeing some condos being built so the area will continue to grow. Finally oakwood population financial demographic skews them towards being more transit oriented vs the pricey condos on Leslie stop short drive from the dvp.

Honestly once we start talking about eliminating stations I can't help but think how hypocritical that is unless you are going to put avenue on that same chopping block. Avenue has almost zero land around to redevelop. It's residents are above the middle class level and clearly will be much more driver oriented. The only thing going for it is the eglinton way shopping strip. But the residents themselves taking transit. Good luck.

Again where I live on eglinton people opposed the project altogether because the demographic was rich older people who would never take transit and or won't be alive by the time the lrt opens. That sure sounds like the demographic of avenue road as well but because it has a fancy name no one on here has ever suggested chopping it.

+1000 lol, everyone can see on Google maps that Leslie & Eglinton has one car dealership in the middle of a ravine, and Oakwood is a pre-war urban neighbourhood similar to parts of Bloor-Danforth.

It's also likely that that neighbourhood (Eg West) will gentrify, property values will rise and developments will happen once the transit is built. It has the right bones and is already a vibrant neighbourhood with great food.

Leslie can never really have much development because of the ravine, which is a great natural area.

There will always be those who complain & oppose loudly, but I don't think it's always correct to assume they represent the majority of residents (even though they often claim to).

Or, someone engaged on local development issues who doesn't agree with me.

Perhaps instead of saying "this line has seemingly been designed by NIMBYs" I should have said "this line has seemingly been designed by self-interested local residents who only care about how this line can serve them, even if it reduces the experience for everyone else (including them, unknowingly) in the aggregate" but that would've been too long.

Perhaps instead of saying "this line has seemingly been designed by NIMBYs" I should have said "this line has seemingly been designed by self-interested local residents who only care about how this line can serve them, even if it reduces the experience for everyone else (including them, unknowingly) in the aggregate" but that would've been too long.

I am confident oakwood will not be another bessarion. However avenue road may be another Rosedale. And Leslie may tale the new award for least used station. Anyways the underground stop spacing on this line I more or less agree with. The above ground spacing could be wider if anything.

I am confident oakwood will not be another bessarion. However avenue road may be another Rosedale. And Leslie may tale the new award for least used station. Anyways the underground stop spacing on this line I more or less agree with. The above ground spacing could be wider if anything.

You guys should really take a trip to Eglinton/Oakwood sometime. It's a pretty lively neighbourhood.

You guys should really take a trip to Eglinton/Oakwood sometime. It's a pretty lively neighbourhood.

I live between bathurst and Eglinton west. I know the area which is why I'm confident that oakwood would see a lot of riders. Bathurst on the other hand are all benz suv owners. I'm less confident there despite thinking because is a major road it needs a stop.

At least, unlike Bassarion or Glencairn, Eglinton & Leslie will be a surface stop/shelter with no staff, no elevators & escalators. It won't be a giant underground clean & unused station like Bassarion :), so it won't look as bad.

I live between bathurst and Eglinton west. I know the area which is why I'm confident that oakwood would see a lot of riders. Bathurst on the other hand are all benz suv owners. I'm less confident there despite thinking because is a major road it needs a stop.

I don't know, people with cars & high incomes still take transit if their destination has no parking or traffic is really bad. If I lived there and worked at King & Bay, I'd still probably take transit to get to work, it would be so easy to walk to Eglinton West station.

I drove through Eglinton West today and saw tons of Crosstown construction. It must be really bad taking the Eg West bus during the day.

I don't know, people with cars & high incomes still take transit if their destination has no parking or traffic is really bad. If I lived there and worked at King & Bay, I'd still probably take transit to get to work, it would be so easy to walk to Eglinton West station.

I drove through Eglinton West today and saw tons of Crosstown construction. It must be really bad taking the Eg West bus during the day.

I'm not saying zero people who have money take transit but it is much fewer. When I walk out of Eglinton west subway the pedestrian traffic heads at least 80% west and only 20% east. Often I wait for my wife to come out of the station and I think to myself I should start doing a tally. Maybe for fun I'll go 30 mins early next time and I'll just doa quick research project.

I'm not saying zero people who have money take transit but it is much fewer. When I walk out of Eglinton west subway the pedestrian traffic heads at least 80% west and only 20% east. Often I wait for my wife to come out of the station and I think to myself I should start doing a tally. Maybe for fun I'll go 30 mins early next time and I'll just doa quick research project.
It would be expected that there would be more Caribbean people coming from the west of the station and Jews coming from the east of the station.

Back