News   Apr 18, 2024
 26     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     0 

Museum of Toronto (?)

There's a certain irony to this post.

We wouldn't have a city that went from making homosexuality a crime to one with a world famous pride parade unless we valued tolerance and respect.

I understand, but respectfully disagree. Pride is successful because most people don't 'tolerate' gay people--they embrace them. They march with them.

We got that far because some people took the chance to disrespect social norms and be intolerant of social institutions.

You would rather people disrespect you?

No, but if I advocated racism or war crimes, I would expect that they would.

Toronto has become a place that people from around the world come to and feel comfortable in. At one time it was hard to even be Catholic in Toronto. That's the history to be proud of. The virtue is in struggle. We have a history of that and we ought to celebrate it.

OK, got it. Cheers. I guess my point in return would be that any such museum worth its salt would feature displays and historical perspectives on those various struggles for respect and a sense of belonging... I would certainly hope so, anyway. But you never know these days, what with museums feeling the pinch and being forced to mount "popular," attendance-pumping spectacles rather than focus on conserving history itself.

We got that far because some people took the chance to disrespect social norms and be intolerant of social institutions.

Okay, I will bite - what would disrepecting the current social norms and institutions that offer such protection mean? It can cut both ways (think Weimer Republic) and I'd rather not glorify the act of disrepect and intolerance for its' own sake without carefully qualifying - what are you disrespecting, what are you being intolerant of?

AoD

Perhaps it's a poor choice of words? Disrespect and intolerance are negative words, by definition, so it's difficult to understand them being used in a positive way.

Okay, I will bite - what would disrepecting the current social norms and institutions that offer such protection mean? It can cut both ways (think Weimer Republic) and I'd rather not glorify the act of disrepect and intolerance for its' own sake without carefully qualifying - what are you disrespecting, what are you being intolerant of?

AoD

As Tewder said, the words do have a negative connotation, and I think that's unfortunate. When you hear about female genital mutilation (FGM) in Africa and the Middle East, do you say, "well, it's their culture and we need to be tolerant and respectful of it"? We wouldn't have a Pride Parade if we had thought that way. That's the history of everything we are proud of in Toronto.

I agree with your caution: disrespect and intolerance are often the seeds of evil. I respect my waitress, and I dislike people who act abusively to them. But I think the language of tolerance and respect can write a blank cheque if we're not careful.

I noticed a few things about the posting for the CEO job which presumably closed last weekend. First they seem to want someone with Sr. level experience in strategic/project planning for a museum or similar institution. Prudent choice would be someone with an MBA and History degree if it is going to be a full time institution. The articles I've read seemed to suggest the facilitators of the visioning workshop were largely architects and urban planners. So they may indeed start with pop up exhibits as the museum takes shape. However, the complexity and amount of work to get a full time museum off the ground and put together a financially viable museum with auxiliary income to ensure its long term viability would make it difficult to focus too heavily on the pop up exhibits. It would distract from the ultimate goals and schedule benchmarks that would be a priority. The job listing seemed to indicate having a museum open in 2 years. I would think the pop up exhibits would be more practical if they were part of the Marketing and PR as the museum gets ready to open, as a way of introducing it the MOT to other organizations and potential partners as well as audiences. Hopefully if they are looking at a CEO, it will be someone who can understand the physical building side, the business side and the cultural side equally. If such a person exists, they would need to wear a lot of hats to make it work.

Well judging by the CEO post originally mentioned, they should have their CEO now which hopefully means we will hear more about the museum soon. I really hope it is truly a reflection of Toronto heritage. There are so many people and communities that should be reflected. The wording of the CEO ad made me wonder if there was some activist agenda in it. Did anyone else feel that? I truly, truly hope not. We have waited a long time for a city museum. Also I really understand why so many favor the Old City Hall. The interior is gorgeous and well preserved. But I noticed articles in 2011 that they were looking to build something new in the courtyard for this museum, not use the building. Has anyone heard anything more? I would think they would run into a lot of problems trying to build something in the courtyard because it is a national heritage building and that would likely block the view from one wing to the other and make it harder to appreciate the architectural style. Not an easy undertaking.

"...City staff had been working to develop a larger, more ambitious Museum of Toronto, and when that got put on hold, Moscoe came up with the idea to do a “capsule version.”"

Museum Mystery from NOW

Thank you so much, Greenleaf! The capsule version is a great way to start. It's how I started my little racing museum: first portable, now a small 1000 sq ft space and presently being acquired by a new large venue. I would theorize that the larger Museum of Toronto may emerge after the election. Several prominent philanthropists I am acquainted with would be eager to get involved if it was more along the lines of what Rita Davies envisioned. And I bet all the good folks who live in the Fort York environs would love if it came about and had some commercial space for shops, restaurants, etc. Currently there is very little on their "block". I would love to see not 1 but 2 museums on the site: the earlier Metronome AND Toronto Museum with the mixed uses Davies proposed. She is s brilliant lady and deserves much credit for her efforts at the Canada Malting site.

From Toronto Metro, at this link:

Museum of Toronto is an idea long past due
Toronto’s past has a purpose. It's time it had a place.

story-321023-422745-image-rendered.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

This city has a history.

It goes back hundreds of years. The stories range from triumphant to terrible. But they’re ours.

Toronto’s past includes the stories of the Mississaugas of New Credit First Nation, the Haudenosaunee, the Huron-Wendat and other Indigenous peoples, whose land we took and whose traditions we tried to erase.

It includes figures like Lucie and Thornton Blackburn, who escaped slavery in Kentucky in 1831 and battled their way to Toronto. They then created the city’s first taxi company, and worked to establish Toronto’s place on the Underground Railroad.

It includes shameful moments, like the 1933 riot at Christie Pits park, sparked by the unveiling of a swastika during a baseball game, or the anti-queer 1981 police raid of four downtown bathhouses.

It includes notable people and landmark events. Visits from The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Martin Luther King Jr. An armed rebellion led by ex-mayor William Lyon Mackenzie at a pub near Yonge & Eglinton. The first ever basketball game played in the league that would become the NBA. Jane Jacobs, and her fight against the Spadina Expressway.

But these stories of Toronto are scattered. Some are almost invisible. The city’s artifacts are kept in boxes, or spread out across a handful of small museums or exhibits.

But there is finally a movement to change that.

A report going before Mayor John Tory’s executive committee this Wednesday discusses future uses for Old City Hall. The 1899 building is currently where you go if you want to fight a traffic ticket but the courts plan to move after 2021, creating an opportunity for an event space, a library, a wedding venue and — at last — a Museum of Toronto.

Past attempts to bring up the idea of a Toronto-focused museum have been stymied by concerns about costs and logistics. But this report, prepared after public consultation, makes the case that a museum is the best possible use for this historic building.

While the cost of renovating Old City Hall won’t be cheap — refurbishment is estimated at about $122 million – it’s work that needs to be completed regardless of future use, unless Torontonians are prepared to let the building crumble to the ground.

And a museum right next to tourist-magnet Nathan Phillips Square would be a draw, according to estimates. The report says the museum would draw up to 270,000 visitors in its first year, before settling into a range of 225,000 annual visits. That will bring in enough revenue that the government subsidy required to maintain operations will be relatively small — between $3.4 million and $3.5 million per year.

It’s a cost worth paying.

Because there are so many lessons to be learned from Toronto’s past.

It would be folly, for example, to talk about transforming Yonge Street without first looking back at efforts to pedestrianize the street in the 1970s.

Similarly, the city’s conversation about police accountability should be informed by this city’s history of police antagonism directed toward Black and queer communities.

And political decisions about poverty and inequality will be better if they’re made with knowledge that Old City Hall was built atop the Ward, Toronto’s poorest neighbourhood.

These stories matter and deserve to be told. Toronto’s past has a purpose. Let’s give it a place.

For the PDF report on Old City Hall - Future Uses and Tenant Options, see link.

Background Information
(January 9, 2018) Report and Attachments 1-5 from the Deputy City Manager, Internal Corporate Services, and the Chief Purchasing Officer on Old City Hall: Future Uses and Tenant Options
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-110694.pdf)

Back