Murano Condos (Lanterra Developments) - Real Estate -

I was trying to look at some earlier pictures when the building was being constructed. I saw concrete dividers but I really couldn't tell if they went all the way through to the hallway.

I would be shocked if the walls dividing the units weren't concrete.

Got a letter saying that our closing will be Jan 17, 2009 and from what I understand both the South and North Tower will be closing at the same time.

Saw a memo saying that the building will register next year. I'm not sure if both the South/North building will register at the same time.

This is weird considering the higher floors won't be occupied until next year. Is it normal for a building to close before it's completely occupied?

Anywho, I have some work to do...I was gauging closing to be around Feb, so this comes as a pleasant surprise.

My laywer told me the building will register Jan 20th. Can't wait to see what the prices will be like on MLS.

My laywer told me the building will register Jan 20th. Can't wait to see what the prices will be like on MLS.

I have a beef with this project. I have been doing some research and noticed that the rental rates are quite low. 2BR+D going at $1,800 (MLS and Kijiji). I also noticed that the said 2BR is being offered for sale at over $500K. Why would someone in their right mind buy a unit here when you can rent for such a low price. The price/rent ratio is almost 280. I think the rental rates in this building will drive down prices.

I have a beef with this project. I have been doing some research and noticed that the rental rates are quite low. 2BR+D going at $1,800 (MLS and Kijiji). I also noticed that the said 2BR is being offered for sale at over $500K. Why would someone in their right mind buy a unit here when you can rent for such a low price. The price/rent ratio is almost 280. I think the rental rates in this building will drive down prices.

I think the prices are so inflated in this building, it's not even funny. The location is great though, so I guess that would explain the high prices?

1800 is quite low, I've seen 2Bed units in this building going for $2200. That sale price is laughable though. No way it sells at that price.

Soundproofing

I've never chatted in this thread (I'm a CASA owner) but have 2 cents to say about sound proofing. There are definitely concrete walls between units in highrise condos. I think this issue really arises in towers with curtain walls of glass. As I monitored the progress of CASA, I noted that very thick concrete wall exist between units, extending to about 6 inches from the windows. I have no idea what they stick in that space, but I would bet that's where most of the sound comes through. I don't take possession of my unit in CASA until Feb, but I am dreading this issue. My existing condo is dead quiet.

JayBee, do you still have noise issues or have things calmed down a bit?

It's not bad, but I think a lot of it has to do with one of my neighbours not moving in yet. My neighbour on the other side isn't bad. I don't hear her too much, but if I go up to the wall, I can hear quite a bit (when she's playing music or talking/watching tv). When I have my own TV on, I don't hear anything. The weird thing is it's not like she's "loud" it's just that the sound is coming through that little 6 inch gap that separates the window from the wall. That little area is not soundproofed properly. I'm a snorer and I do encounter some screamers on the odd drunken night :D. There's no doubt that I'll keep my neighbours up since our bedrooms are attached.

With that said, I know other buildings with glass curtain walls that don't suffer from this problem. Glas and Spire are 2 that come to mind. Looks like the thick wall continues all the way to the window.

With Murano - Look at the walls by the window..they're less than half the thickness of the rest of the walls.

Murano:
murano_pezzati_3901.JPG

Casa (If you look closely, you can see the thinner wall by the window):
2717670_20.jpeg

Glas (looks like the thick wall is caried right though to the glass):
9982kam_20.jpeg

The wall is basically the same thickness as the spandrel? which can't be more than 6 inches. This is a huge gaffe on Lanterra's part. I heard 22 Wellesley has soundproofing issues as well (same builder, same window/wall construction). We'll see what happens...hopefully they got their act together on Maple Leaf Square and One Bedford.

I've never chatted in this thread (I'm a CASA owner) but have 2 cents to say about sound proofing. There are definitely concrete walls between units in highrise condos. I think this issue really arises in towers with curtain walls of glass. As I monitored the progress of CASA, I noted that very thick concrete wall exist between units, extending to about 6 inches from the windows. I have no idea what they stick in that space, but I would bet that's where most of the sound comes through. I don't take possession of my unit in CASA until Feb, but I am dreading this issue. My existing condo is dead quiet.

I'm sure some Casa owners can chime in here. Haven't heard about any sound issues. The building's also 80% empty so that may explain it.

Re: sound transmission. A friend of mine recently purchased a 130 year old home that shares a common wall with neighbours. What's interesting is how easily I can hear the neighbours talking and watching TV on the top floor only. The bottom and 2nd floors are much better. So this noise issue isn't just with brand new condos.

Re: sound transmission. A friend of mine recently purchased a 130 year old home that shares a common wall with neighbours. What's interesting is how easily I can hear the neighbours talking and watching TV on the top floor only. The bottom and 2nd floors are much better. So this noise issue isn't just with brand new condos.
Right, but you'd think after 130 years builders would be able to build a pretty soundproof unit. I'm not a stickler, I mean, living in a condo, you will hear things...but I should not hear:

- talking
- tv
- snoring

My mother's house was built in the 60's and is a semi detach. I've never heard her neighbours. My aunt's condo was built in the 70's. Never heard her neighbours. The products are out there, some builders take pride in their work, others cut corners. IMO

It is not so much the walls that is the issue (concrete is pretty good soundproofing) but rather the door to the unit.

If your neighbor is playing loud music, the sound comes in via the gap in your front door.

It is not so much the walls that is the issue (concrete is pretty good soundproofing) but rather the door to the unit.

If your neighbor is playing loud music, the sound comes in via the gap in your front door.
True, I don't hear anything through my door unless it's people talking in the hall. But if I turn off the tv and put my ear to the wall, I hear sound pretty easily and that's not coming from the door, it's coming from that little gap between the window and concrete wall. It's too bad the entire wall is window because this would be an easy solution otherwise. Just cover up the gap with drywall

those old houses had brick (or double brick/stone) partition walls on the main and 2nd floor; and only wood, plaster + lathe on the 3rd/attic floor, especially if it was a conversion.

Back