Murano Condos (Lanterra Developments) - Real Estate -

I just using black foam weatherstripping that I got and Canadian Tire. I doubled it as I had a large gap between my door and the frame... Before you do it you should be able to feel air flowing between the cracks.

All strips should be placed on the frame so the foam faces the front of the door except the hinge side which should be facing the side of the door. Make sure to put a strip at the floor level too. It will be a little tight to close at first but after about a week it will close normally.

and yes... I live at the LotE. I just like to peruse lots of threads :)

I could be way off here, but isn't it by design that air flows into a suite from the front door (perhaps some sort of fire safety)? Adding weather stripping as has been suggested may not be wise. Anyone know for sure?

I could be way off here, but isn't it by design that air flows into a suite from the front door (perhaps some sort of fire safety)? Adding weather stripping as has been suggested may not be wise. Anyone know for sure?

In most multi-unit buildings there is supposed to be (small) positive pressure in the hallways created by the Make-up Air Unit. This serves several purposes, firstly to push cooking (and smoking) smells back into Units, to keep fires contained within units and to provide air to replace (hence the name "make-up air") the air blown out of the kitchen, bathroom and laundry vents.

If you weather-strip the front door you get none of this and I doubt it's a good idea!

Weather stripping on entrance doors may or may not be a good idea, I've done it in every place I've lived in mostly as a barrier to noise in the hallway. I was told (this could be wrong) that when the fire alarms go off the air units in the common areas (hallways) shut down and the elevators are programmed to return to the lobby so that they can't be used until the situation is cleared.

Also check if your condo insurance becomes void if you use weather-strip on your entrance doors.

I know insurance companies will find any excuse not to pay for claims :mad:

My buddy's condo at cityplace has weatherstripping around the door and I think the building installed it.

Murano Registered!!!

I was handling some business in the North building and saw the notice that the building has just Registered (that's the second closing) with the Vity. Any Murano owners out there...this would be a good time to speak with your lawyer to schedule your closing. This is also when the 'phantom mortgage" stops and the real one begins!

Happy Owning

Saw a memo saying that the building will register next year. I'm not sure if both the South/North building will register at the same time.

This is weird considering the higher floors won't be occupied until next year. Is it normal for a building to close before it's completely occupied?

Anywho, I have some work to do...I was gauging closing to be around Feb, so this comes as a pleasant surprise.

I was only in the North tower today and saw the sign there. I was in the South tower on the weekend (22-30 floors) and still saw no sign of carpeting or wall paper. From what I gathered, they've moved people in up to the 33rd floor on the South tower.

According to the memo: the murano condominiums have registered. Closing will not take place before the New Year. It also mentioned that the property management and lanterra don't have closing schedules...so it's advised you prep yourself for the New Year by calling your lawyer for dates, figures etc.

Not to beat a dead horse (this will turn into a rant) but I’m a little worried about the soundproofing in this building. There are guys doing work on the unit next to mine, my bedroom wall is connected to the other unit’s bedroom wall. I can hear hammering and sawing loud and clear. It’s not muffled at all. I can even hear when they drop screws on the floor. This is a little worrisome as I can bet my bottom dollar that I will hear my neighbour next door and he/she will hear me snoring, talking, getting busy :O. My question is, are the suite walls really concrete? I can’t imagine concrete having such poor soundproofing. I also can’t imagine a reputable builder in Toronto building a tower that has such awful soundproofing. When waiting for the elevator, you can hear people a number of floors below or above you. That’s ridiculous.

Not to beat a dead horse (this will turn into a rant) but I’m a little worried about the soundproofing in this building. There are guys doing work on the unit next to mine, my bedroom wall is connected to the other unit’s bedroom wall. I can hear hammering and sawing loud and clear. It’s not muffled at all. I can even hear when they drop screws on the floor. This is a little worrisome as I can bet my bottom dollar that I will hear my neighbour next door and he/she will hear me snoring, talking, getting busy :O. My question is, are the suite walls really concrete? I can’t imagine concrete having such poor soundproofing. I also can’t imagine a reputable builder in Toronto building a tower that has such awful soundproofing. When waiting for the elevator, you can hear people a number of floors below or above you. That’s ridiculous.

oh man ... i feel for you :eek:

Has anyone in this development raised their concerns to the developer ... ? Or, is it 'that is just the way it is in condos' mentality...? I would be most upset.

I really don't get it. I've had discussions in other threads about the hot topic of soundproofing, particularly side-to-side between units, and majority opinion seems to be that concrete dividing walls are the best defense. Given that Murano has concrete walls, what's the source of the sound issues? Is it a thickness thing? Does it have something to do with the quality of the drywall installed over the concrete? None of it makes any sense to me.

Back