News   Jul 12, 2024
 753     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

MoveOntario 2020

New GO Crosstown rail line between Weston Road and the Don Valley

that's amazing! it's about time they have GO lines crossing the middle of the city from west to east.

where will it be located? any maps?

P.S, the biggie, of this funding, how much will be spent on elevators for the TTC? will this plan make to whole TTC accessible?

Well, the City of Toronto hasn't proposed a significant new Downtown Toronto transit project in decades, so there isn't really anything for the province to fund. I'm thrilled with a whole pile of these items. The Province is giving the city what it wants with Transit City, so I hope it isn't a waste of $6billion.

The Crosstown line will follow the existing CP North Toronto sub, so just look on the map for the existing rail line.

I'm jumping for joy about the K-W LRT!

I know unimaginative allready posted the list of projects but here it is again with numbers beside each project and a map that shows exactly where the projects are.

movingontario.jpg

GO Transit Commuter Rail

1 GO Lakeshore West rail line capacity expansion by adding a third track from Port Credit to Oakville
2 GO Lakeshore West rail line capacity expansion by adding a third track from Burlington to Hamilton
3 GO Lakeshore East rail line capacity expansion by adding a third track from Union Station to Scarborough
4 GO Lakeshore East rail line extension from Oshawa to Bowmanville
5 GO Lakeshore rail line electrification (SuperGO)
6 GO Milton rail line capacity expansion from Union Station to Milton
7 GO Georgetown rail line capacity expansion from Union Station to Georgetown
8 GO Bradford rail line capacity expansion from Union Station to Bradford
9 GO Bradford rail line extension and capacity expansion from Bradford to Barrie
10 GO Richmond Hill rail line capacity expansion from Union Station to Richmond Hill
11 GO Richmond Hill rail line extension to Aurora Road
12 GO Stouffville rail line capacity expansion from Union Station to Stouffville and extension of the line to Uxbridge
13 New GO Crosstown rail line between Weston Road and the Don Valley
14 New GO Crosstown rail line between the Don Valley and Agincourt
15 New GO rail line from Union Station to Bolton
16 New GO rail line on the Havelock line from Agincourt to Pickering
17 New GO rail line on the Seaton line from Agincourt to Brock Road in Pickering

GO Bus Rapid Transit(BRT)

18 GO Bus Rapid Transit along Highway 403 from Oakville GO rail station to Mississauga
19 Mississauga Transitway west of Mississauga City Centre to Winston Churchill Boulevard
20 Mississauga Transitway east of Mississauga City Centre to Renforth Drive
21 GO Bus Rapid Transit northwest Toronto link from Renforth Drive to York University
22 GO Bus Rapid Transit on Markham Road from Highway 407 in Markham to Highway 401
23 GO Bus Rapid Transit on Highway 401 from Markham Road in Scarborough to Pickering GO rail station
24 GO Bus Rapid Transit connector on Highway 427 from Renforth Drive to Highway 407
25 GO Bus Rapid Transit along Highway 407 from York University to Langstaff (Yonge Street) and on to Markham Road
26 GO Bus Rapid Transit along Highway 407 from Burlington to Highway 401
27 GO Bus Rapid Transit along Highway 407 from Highway 401 to Highway 427
28 GO Bus Rapid Transit along Highway 407 from Highway 427 to York University

Subway and Other Rapid Transit

29 Yonge subway line extension north from Finch station to Highway 7 (Langstaff)
30 VIVA Markham North-South Link from Markham Centre to Don Mills station
31 Pearson Air-Rail link to Union Station
32 Hamilton east-west rapid transit on King/Main Streets from Eastgate Mall to McMaster University
33 Hamilton north-south rapid transit on James/Upper James Streets from Rymal Road to King Street
34 Brampton Acceleride on Queen Street from Main Street to Highway 50
35 Hurontario Light Rail Transit from Queen Street in Brampton to Lakeshore Road in Mississauga
36 Eglinton Avenue Light Rail Transit from Renforth Drive to Kennedy Road in Scarborough
37 Yonge Bus Rapid Transit busway from Finch station to Steeles Avenue
38 Dundas Street West Light Rail Transit from Kipling station to Hurontario Street
39 Scarborough RT extension from McCowan station to Sheppard Avenue
40 Sheppard Avenue Light Rail Transit from Don Mills Road to Morningside Avenue
41 Finch Avenue West Light Rail Transit from Highway 27 to Yonge Street
42 Don Mills Road Light Rail Transit from Steeles Avenue to the Bloor-Danforth subway
43 Jane Street Light Rail Transit from Steeles Avenue to Jane station on the Bloor-Danforth subway
44 Malvern Light Rail Transit from Kennedy station to Malvern
45 Waterfront West Light Rail Transit from Union Station to Long Branch
46 VIVA Yonge Street from Steeles Avenue to Highway 7 (Langstaff)
47 VIVA Yonge Street from Highway 7 (Langstaff) to 19th Avenue in Richmond Hill
48 VIVA Yonge Street from 19th Avenue to Newmarket
49 VIVA Highway 7 from Highway 50 to Yonge Street (Langstaff)
50 VIVA Highway 7 from Yonge Street (Langstaff) to Cornell
51 Durham rapid transit line on Highway 2 from Oshawa to Pickering
52 Spadina subway line extension north from Downsview station to Highway 7 (Vaughan Corporate Centre)

I'm too cynical and I agree with SNF that part of this is going to be shelved. Also, for us SOBs, will we still not get any rapid transit alternatives to the glacially slow Queen and King street streetcars?

Still, the Eglinton LRT and the electrification of the Lakeshore line would be the best new transit improvements in a generation.

I'm too cynical and I agree with SNF that part of this is going to be shelved.

That is true of any long term plan though. A lot of times you might make one set of plans only too find a few years down the road that things have changed and you need to modify the original intentions. The most likely scenario is that half will be built just as indicated, another quarter will be built with some modifications, and a quarter delayed or outright scrapped. In Toronto I could easily see this happening. Probably the only real major fauly of Transit City was that it did not connect the network in the downtown area and fully integrate all the lines. I think once they start building a lot of the suburban lines this will become obvious and they will change their plans to focus on downtown.

Edit: The same is true of Lakeshore. If they plan on feeding more new lines and increasing service then the line will have to undergo a fair bit of modernization to be able to handle the capacity. Electrification will do a lot too help that but I could see even more expansion than indicated actually taking place once the project starts.

I noticed that they plan to build the BRT plan for finch-steeles-langstaff AND the subway extension (does this sound familiar anyone?)

I was not planning to vote Liberal this fall (for a variety of reasons), but now I would have to seriously reconsider as this would be great for our region if completed as presented. But that is the key - this is a government that I really dont feel very comfortable trusting. I'll have to wait to hear where John Tory positions himself on this issue.

Back