News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 663     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 934     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

With REM de l'Est canceled maybe the CDPQ can come and build a REM in Toronto...

Midtown REM, Steeles Ave to... past Kipling down the spur through that spur south. Imagine the redevelopment potential of that line!

Just have to figure out the freight problem... :rolleyes:

With REM de l'Est canceled maybe the CDPQ can come and build a REM in Toronto...

Midtown REM, Steeles Ave to... past Kipling down the spur through that spur south. Imagine the redevelopment potential of that line!

Just have to figure out the freight problem... :rolleyes:
I have all trust that Ontarian taxpayers are smarter than wanting to import a financing scam which perpetually extracts billions from local taxpayers and funnels a part of it back to pensioners in Quebec…

Well I don't see the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan building a REM anytime soon.
The GTHA has more rail transit projects currently under construction than what has been built in the Montreal Area* during the last 30 years…

*Edit: could have even said „in all of Quebec“.

Last edited:
CPDQ? Why not just sell the Ontario line to the 407 consortium. You surely must be pulling our leg.
I have witnessed the breakneck speed of the CDPQ in how fast they have constructed the REM.
How long is it taking Metrolinx to build stuff? And when they do its light rail with grade crossings. Or busses.
If only our pension plans created transit infrastructure divisions and got to work building out light metros in the GTA at record pace...

Only the Ontario Line will be the same quality as the REM.
Only the Scarborough RT has the same „quality“ as the REM - which is being an incompatible proprietary technology impeding the development of an integrated network.

I have witnessed the breakneck speed of the CDPQ in how fast they have constructed the REM.
For the same reason why this kind of infrastructure is built at a similarly fast pace in China: because the plans are already finalized before Citizens even learn that they exist. Just move to China if that‘s your vision of society and progress!

How long is it taking Metrolinx to build stuff? And when they do its light rail with grade crossings. Or busses.
If only our pension plans created transit infrastructure divisions and got to work building out light metros in the GTA at record pace...
„Building light metros“ for the sake of building light metros. The REM will be remembered as a cautionary tale of what happens when you define a solution before the problem…

How long is it taking Metrolinx to build stuff?
Have you driven down Finch West lately? Or Highway 10?

Montreal has had it's issues of long-term construction. Part of the REM was promised to be delivered before the 1967 Expo. The LRT section over the St. Lawrence since the turn of the century.

The only thing that makes Montreal look real rosy right now, is that REM is progressing well - not too many years behind schedule. But that's the only major $1 billion+ expansion project under construction there since before 2010. Compared to about a dozen in the GTA. Fourteen if you include the Line 1 extension to Richmond Hill, and the $billion Bloor-Yonge expansion. Fifteen with the $billion+ Union Station rebuilds.

Last edited:
But that's the only major $1 billion+ expansion project under construction there since before 2010.

Construction has also started on the Blue line extension:

Only the Scarborough RT has the same „quality“ as the REM - which is being an incompatible proprietary technology impeding the development of an integrated network.

You can't compare the REM to the Scarborough RT and you know it.
And complaining about incompatible technologies is rich when we compare this to Toronto. Heavy rail subway lines with a strange gauge only found here, streetcars with that same gauge, a funky first-generation light metro, a couple of light rail lines using standard gauge and overhead line, and now a new light metro, the Ontario Line. Wow, very standard! So Montreal will just have two diffrent things? Sounds nice...

And what part of it is "proprietary"? The REM uses standard gauge, standard 1,500 V DC catenary, and Alstom Metropolis trains which are currently in service with 50 operators all over the world. I can't tell you how many systems around the world use diffrent modes within the same system. Including Toronto, London, Paris, and so on... That does not make it "proprietary". Incompatible yes, but not proprietary.

„Building light metros“ for the sake of building light metros. The REM will be remembered as a cautionary tale of what happens when you define a solution before the problem…

I'm sorry but I just disagree with you on that. It is replacing a very popular commuter rail line and also serving the airport, with more frequent trains. I really don't see how it could be a "cautionary tale".

Construction has also started on the Blue line extension:

Has it? That post seemed a bit vague about what has started. Two weeks ago, Le Devoir sais that they haven't even tendered the TBMs yet! - https://www.ledevoir.com/societe/74...ent-de-la-ligne-bleue-atteindra-6-4-milliards

Is it construction they've started or just planning?

I almost believe it will happen this time - they've been announcing this and two or three more stations north of Cote Vertu on the Orange line since I was a kid - and I'm approaching retirement!

$6.4 Billion dollars and at least 7 years for a 5 station extension.

Yeah but no, the REM and the CDPQ stinks guys!

Back