News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Montréal Transit Developments

Hello! I thought I'd help out with the translation
The article specifically states that the mayor is deferring some road work that represents only 25% of the projects in the city.
This will not affect any work done by the MTQ, Hydro Québec, STM or the private sector. She has no control whatsoever over any of that.
So her "stupefyingly dumb idea" has nothing at all to do with the STM - maintenance or otherwise - or any other transit project.
Hope that helps!

Hello! I thought I'd help out with the translation
The article specifically states that the mayor is deferring some road work that represents only 25% of the projects in the city.
This will not affect any work done by the MTQ, Hydro Québec, STM or the private sector. She has no control whatsoever over any of that.
So her "stupefyingly dumb idea" has nothing at all to do with the STM - maintenance or otherwise - or any other transit project.
Hope that helps!

I speak french, so I am clear on what the article says. Do you think it makes any particular sense to postpone roadwork (incurring additional costs), until traffic has returned to normal levels and the construction will be maximally disruptive?

On the STM's end, I see that the Cote Vertu station closure for the new Cote-Vertu garage was also delayed to this year, but that was because of workplace closures from COVID and not as a result of short-sighted election gesture.

Edit: Sorry that my strongly worded opinion was objectionable enough to make you create an account just to respond to it! I love Montréal (in most respects) and I voted for Projet Montreal but I've been disappointed in some ways by Mairesse Plante.

Last edited:
Could've sworn this was old news already.
There was speculation, then reports, then a report on an official announcement (my link above), and then an official official announcement this morning finally. :p

This morning's official announcement also detailed where the money is coming from:

$300-million loan from the Canada Infrastructure Bank
$100-million investment from Transport Canada
$100-million loan from the Quebec government
$100-million from Aéroports de Montréal (YUL airport)

Last edited:
I speak french, so I am clear on what the article says. Do you think it makes any particular sense to postpone roadwork (incurring additional costs), until traffic has returned to normal levels and the construction will be maximally disruptive?
It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. She was criticized by the press for the amount of road works, even though she clearly stated in 2018 that she was doubling the amount of work done because of the maintenance deficit carried over from past administrations. Coderre wanted to do the same thing the year he was defeated...

It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. She was criticized by the press for the amount of road works, even though she clearly stated in 2018 that she was doubling the amount of work done because of the maintenance deficit carried over from past administrations. Coderre wanted to do the same thing the year he was defeated...
Also, keeping in mind that this year is Montreal's municipal election year (Nov 7, 2021), and Denis Coderre has just re-entered the arena as the main contender for the next mayor. There will be a lot of shade thrown at Plante in the upcoming months by the Corderre camp, which tends to represent the suburban areas of northeast and west island (aka people who primarily use single occupancy vehicles and want more investment in road infrastructure, less on bike lanes). I'm personally agnostic whether it'd be Plante or Coderre - they both have done a lot for the city over the past decade, like the REV bike lane system (Plante), the REM (initiated under Coderre).

Reactions: Xav
Also, keeping in mind that this year is Montreal's municipal election year (Nov 7, 2021), and Denis Coderre has just re-entered the arena as the main contender for the next mayor. There will be a lot of shade thrown at Plante in the upcoming months by the Corderre camp, which tends to represent the suburban areas of northeast and west island (aka people who primarily use single occupancy vehicles and want more investment in road infrastructure, less on bike lanes). I'm personally agnostic whether it'd be Plante or Coderre - they both have done a lot for the city over the past decade, like the REV bike lane system (Plante), the REM (initiated under Coderre).
Clearly Projet Montréal is trying to avoid the media firestorm they had to endure last year during construction of the REV on Bellechasse and Saint-Denis, who could blame them...

Quebec and Ottawa reach $600M deal for REM station at Trudeau airport​

://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-trudeau-airport-rem-deal-1.5989248?fbclid=IwAR1eIw4gCNi0mz08E0KJmOZmGCXuG8YzDzTSsnGqzZpq-7Z67a_g2Z8qyJQ

Clearly Projet Montréal is trying to avoid the media firestorm they had to endure last year during construction of the REV on Bellechasse and Saint-Denis, who could blame them...
To be fair, the REV on St. Denis became an immediate hit with cyclists. I've personally used it many times since last summer, and even in the dead of winter, it gets decent bike traffic. It's the simplicity of it that makes it such a popular route now with cyclists - one could now ride from Jean-Talon to Berri-UQaM and downtown in under 20 minutes, all done on a single, fully-protected bike lane (even faster if you use the BIXI electric bikes), along with dedicated bike signals at each intersection.

And despite the media sensationalism, we also haven't seen the "doomsday" scenarios which predicted that St. Denis will be killed off by the REV. Judging by this year's pedestrian and cyclist traffic, if anything, St. Denis has become far more pleasant for pedestrians to walk and shop thanks to traffic-calming measures and curb separations imposed by the REV.

ba4e65ab0d942fbb3350c4b8ebe9589c8262efd8.jpeg

It's refreshing to see such high-quality infrastructure in a Canadian city. Separated bike lanes, buried utility wires, aesthetically pleasing traffic lights, and healthy street trees. That's not even a "showpiece" street for the city. Montreal, though not perfect, writes the book on proper urban design in Canada. They're decades ahead of the stingy and driver-oriented administrative departments that we have at City Hall (and Queen's Park).

It's refreshing to see such high-quality infrastructure in a Canadian city. Separated bike lanes, buried utility wires, aesthetically pleasing traffic lights, and healthy street trees. That's not even a "showpiece" street for the city. Montreal, though not perfect, writes the book on proper urban design in Canada. They're decades ahead of the stingy and driver-oriented administrative departments that we have at City Hall (and Queen's Park).
Not to mention MTL will completely overtake us in terms of rapid transit once both REM projects and the Metro Blue line extension are open in the future. Really makes up for the lack of transit expansion since the 80s.

1618779160910.png

Last edited:
To be fair, the REV on St. Denis became an immediate hit with cyclists. I've personally used it many times since last summer, and even in the dead of winter, it gets decent bike traffic. It's the simplicity of it that makes it such a popular route now with cyclists - one could now ride from Jean-Talon to Berri-UQaM and downtown in under 20 minutes, all done on a single, fully-protected bike lane (even faster if you use the BIXI electric bikes), along with dedicated bike signals at each intersection.

And despite the media sensationalism, we also haven't seen the "doomsday" scenarios which predicted that St. Denis will be killed off by the REV. Judging by this year's pedestrian and cyclist traffic, if anything, St. Denis has become far more pleasant for pedestrians to walk and shop thanks to traffic-calming measures and curb separations imposed by the REV.

ba4e65ab0d942fbb3350c4b8ebe9589c8262efd8.jpeg
I was renting for a month on St-Denis in waiting of closing my house during the REV construction. It was one of the quickest project I ever saw in Montréal. Businesses were more affected by the wokies vegan and racial protests than this construction, And never will I live there again, even the homeless are arrogant and have a sense of superiority.

Last edited:

It's an amazing piece of infrastructure. Not only for the benefits to cyclists but also for how it made the street much nicer to walk along. I used it for the first time on my bike last week to go to Marché Jean-Talon (I live right next to Berri-UQAM), what a great, easy ride it was. I believe it truly is a game changer in terms of cycling infrastructure.

Back