News   May 07, 2021
 357     1 
News   May 06, 2021
 528     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

henrydm

Member Bio
Reaction score
Personally, I've never observed the Canada Line at every 2-minute frequencies. I feel I've waited far long than that for a train at the airport.

Hang on - REM East is 30% underground? Somehow I'd missed that. Where?
its underground in the east connection marie victorin with the main branch

SFO-YYZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's wrong with elevated railroads? They can be done well (I realize they often aren't), and they're much cheaper than building underground, especially on a ROW like Rene Levesque - when I visit Montreal, I'm always surprised at how wide Rene Levesque is.
FYI, Niftz is never happy with whatever MTL does. Kind of annoying at first, but his pessimism grows on you after a while, thanks to its reliable consistency. You get used to it. 🙃🙃

Last edited:

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
FYI, Niftz is never happy with whatever MTL does. Kind of annoying at first, but his pessimism grows on you after a while, thanks to its reliable consistency.
I'm unsure why some feel that we can't in a Toronto forum critique what other cities do, in the same manner we do for proposed projects here. Where's the defence of Portage and Main?

From what I read in the Quebec media, my suggestion that they shouldn't be elevating transit downtown along roads like Dorchester and Levesque is hardly unique.

superelevation

Member Bio
Reaction score
Based on what's reported so far, this new Montreal light rail line to the northeast is for a lot shorter trains than you see for typical Canadian examples of light rail in Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, or Line 5 Eglinton in Toronto. While I agree it's not a great term for the central portion of the REM - this is not that. And what can you do if that's how the Caisse are branding it on their own website!
Just because thats what it's branded as doesn't mean thats what it should be called. Branding is for the general public, not folks on UrbanToronto.
Personally, I've never observed the Canada Line at every 2-minute frequencies. I feel I've waited far long than that for a train at the airport.

Hang on - REM East is 30% underground? Somehow I'd missed that. Where?
The Canada Line like the REM should be capable of 90 second frequencies.
The connection to Trudeau airport is in the west, as it the tunnel to TMR. The discussion was about the proposed not-under-construction REM line to the east, that doesn't connect to the line currently being built. Which is the 30% of that that is underground?

Because the official website uses the term Light Rail - see https://rem.info/en

So it's not only the English media!

Given both "light" and "rail" are not French words, I can imagine there's a very good reason that non-English media are not using either the words "light" or "rail"!

Personally, I'm surprised the Caisse has officially branded this as "Light Rail" - but I'm also surprised that the Caisse thinks its acceptable to build an elevated railway downtown in this day and age!
Again, I am not sure why we can't make our own judgement call instead of marketers or translators. Light rail in North America by and large looks like this:
1617392287082.png

Calling something which is not North American light rail "light rail" serves to confuse.

aquateam

Member Bio
Reaction score

To my knowledge, the STM hasn't taken advantage of the pandemic to accelerate disruptive maintenance in the same way that the TTC has, which seems like a lost opportunity to me. Getting as much disruptive road and transit work out of the way when traffic and transit ridership is at a once-in-a-century lows seems like a no-brainer.

Instead, Mayor Plante enacted the stupifyingly dumb idea of pushing back disruptive maintenance from 2020 to "give people a break."

p_xavier

Member Bio
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the STM hasn't taken advantage of the pandemic to accelerate disruptive maintenance in the same way that the TTC has, which seems like a lost opportunity to me. Getting as much disruptive road and transit work out of the way when traffic and transit ridership is at a once-in-a-century lows seems like a no-brainer.

Instead, Mayor Plante enacted the stupifyingly dumb idea of pushing back disruptive maintenance from 2020 to "give people a break."
The STM had its funding cut by the ARTM.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Sounds like the kind of problems New York City is having, and Toronto and London were having a decade or two ago. A lack of adequate funding for repairs, and only $ for big flashy projects.

Ultimately, where it's been fixed, it's been by bringing in new outside management who have the tenacity to make it very clear that the funding is needed. I know nothing about STM leadership though.

https://www.stm.info/en/our-leaders tells me that Tremblay (the CEO interviewed) has worked at STM for 25 years, and is an accountant. While the Chairman (presumably the equivalent of the TTC Chair?) Schnobb was a journalist with CBC.

Al Ski

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello! I thought I'd help out with the translation
The article specifically states that the mayor is deferring some road work that represents only 25% of the projects in the city.
This will not affect any work done by the MTQ, Hydro Québec, STM or the private sector. She has no control whatsoever over any of that.
So her "stupefyingly dumb idea" has nothing at all to do with the STM - maintenance or otherwise - or any other transit project.
Hope that helps!

aquateam

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello! I thought I'd help out with the translation
The article specifically states that the mayor is deferring some road work that represents only 25% of the projects in the city.
This will not affect any work done by the MTQ, Hydro Québec, STM or the private sector. She has no control whatsoever over any of that.
So her "stupefyingly dumb idea" has nothing at all to do with the STM - maintenance or otherwise - or any other transit project.
Hope that helps!

I speak french, so I am clear on what the article says. Do you think it makes any particular sense to postpone roadwork (incurring additional costs), until traffic has returned to normal levels and the construction will be maximally disruptive?

On the STM's end, I see that the Cote Vertu station closure for the new Cote-Vertu garage was also delayed to this year, but that was because of workplace closures from COVID and not as a result of short-sighted election gesture.

Edit: Sorry that my strongly worded opinion was objectionable enough to make you create an account just to respond to it! I love Montréal (in most respects) and I voted for Projet Montreal but I've been disappointed in some ways by Mairesse Plante.

Last edited:

NoahB

Member Bio
Reaction score
Could've sworn this was old news already.
There was speculation, then reports, then a report on an official announcement (my link above), and then an official official announcement this morning finally. :p

This morning's official announcement also detailed where the money is coming from:

$300-million loan from the Canada Infrastructure Bank
$100-million investment from Transport Canada
$100-million loan from the Quebec government
$100-million from Aéroports de Montréal (YUL airport)

Last edited: