News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

About 25% of the West Island aerial structure is complete. It progresses about 3x40m sections for each of the launchers per week. Construction is ahead of schedule there. A video to put it in perspective.

Not surprising, given CPDQi's experience with Canada Line in Vancouver. Really reminds me of Vancouver Skytrain.

I would have believed you if you told me it was the Skytrain in the City of Vancouver. But Montreal REM? Wow.

Heavens, CDPQi becomes one of the bidders of OL? What a thought! Perhaps we'll see some sudden hectic pace with Ontario Line. 2027 opening date could be realistic with that kind of construction speed. Technically, the REM technology would be within the Ontario Line's specifications. We want the bigger heavier trains, but if lighter trains are chosen anyway, then I would welcome this construction pace as a trade-off.

I would have believed you if you told me it was the Skytrain in the City of Vancouver. But Montreal REM? Wow.

Heavens, CDPQi becomes one of the bidders of OL? What a thought! Perhaps we'll see some sudden hectic pace with Ontario Line. 2027 opening date could be realistic with that kind of construction speed. Technically, the REM technology would be within the Ontario Line's specifications. We want the bigger heavier trains, but if lighter trains are chosen anyway, then I would welcome this construction pace as a trade-off.
There were talks between Québec's ex-PM Couillard, the CDPQi and the Wynne government at the time for transit lines but the Ontario government refused at the time. I wouldn't be surprised a bid from them. The CDPQI currently proposed a bid for a New-Zealand LRT project.

The project project goes up quickly because the REM is basically law: no city or citizen can challenge it. This probably be a requirement from the CDPQi if it bids on the Ontario line. That might not go well with the city of Toronto though...

5. The provisions of this Act take precedence over the provisions of any other Act.

Last edited:
There were talks between Québec's ex-PM Couillard, the CDPQi and the Wynne government at the time for transit lines but the Ontario government refused at the time. I wouldn't be surprised a bid from them. The CDPQI currently proposed a bid for a New-Zealand LRT project.

The project project goes up quickly because the REM is basically law: no city or citizen can challenge it. This probably be a requirement from the CDPQi if it bids on the Ontario line. That might not go well with the city of Toronto though...

There is a bigger culture in Quebec for social progress than Ontario/Toronto. Less NIMBYISM more patriotism that favours the public good. "Vive Montréal ! Vive le Québec ! " Is a motto that really has weight, they want to be the best province in the country and so to be a NIMBY is seen as anti-quebec.

There is a bigger culture in Quebec for social progress than Ontario/Toronto. Less NIMBYISM more patriotism that favours the public good. "Vive Montréal ! Vive le Québec ! " Is a motto that really has weight, they want to be the best province in the country and so to be a NIMBY is seen as anti-quebec.
Funny that you mention that because it's mostly the anglophone cities that are complaining about the REM's construction. TMR and Kirkland mostly.

Yeah, and the PQ was cancelled afterwards.
Deservedly-so. That didn't stop the JdM from rallying against the REM for servicing those anglophone cities to which you're referring. The point is, the voices speaking out against the REM are united not by mother-tongue, but by the simple fact that they're morons. Please don't try to reframe the REM debate as an Anglo vs Franco issue.

Deservedly-so. That didn't stop the JdM from rallying against the REM for servicing those anglophone cities to which you're referring. The point is, the voices speaking out against the REM are united not by mother-tongue, but by the simple fact that they're morons. Please don't try to reframe the REM debate as an Anglo vs Franco issue.
We were talking about anglo-centric NIMBYism. Those opposed to the REM were the opposite of NIMBYs... they wanted transit in there neighbourhoods.

Elevated tracks progress along Highway 40 in west island.

79084b68f55ff8d0d2b4b9259215dfd.jpg_640xrel.jpg

REM Brossard station structure coming together:
Du-Quartier-station-September-2019-REM-min-653x393.jpg

Actually if you compare one car on the REM or Canada Line to the Subway in Toronto the cars are actually very similar in size. Weight I don't know given the TTC's cars do seem to be on the heavy side.

I think people are envisioning things like Mark Is in their head. The Canada line cars are pretty much the same size as any subway in Asia, the only problem is that it's a 2 car train. I don't think the REM has any provisions to allow more than 4 cars afaik, but it won't be as undersized as the Canada line.

Back