News   May 10, 2024
 725     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 853     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 932     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Current excavation pit of the future McGill station. To be open in 2022. Does this progress make this date feasible?
View attachment 262964

It's hard to tell. This does seem like it's going slow. But they did build everything else so quickly we might see fast progress as they start focusing on the phase 2 part of the project. (2022 central section)

Last edited:
It's hard to tell. This does seem like it's going slow. But they did build everything else so quickly we might see fast progress as they start focusing on the phase 2 part of the project. (2022 central section)
Removal of materials under that part of the tunnel is not over. Things will get quicker when the tunnel is cleaned and secured.

Everyone is confused about it because the Liberals know how to market something like it's a wet rag.

They kept saying "service of at least every 15 minutes" who does that?

That would be like GM saying " This Dodge Charger goes at least 20kmh"

You advertise the best case scenario, idiots.

"Trains every 5 minutes!" And you put (only during peak service hours) in tiny letters at the bottom of the page.
Because the government and the private sector are completely different.

I'd rather know the worst-case scenario and be impressed by the outcome than overly hyped for the best-case scenario and end up with a Chestnut Hill SEPTA regional Rail service in the end.

Also, why bother saying "5 minute frequencies at peak"? To me, that's useless information. The LS line already has 5-minute services during the peak hours (pre COVID), why would I be impressed with a service level that already exists?

Maybe because it'll be better than typical LRT service levels (ie US backbone LRT systems) and shows there won't be a degradation of service levels. Canada Line late night branch service is only every 20 minutes.

It's probably not designed "to impress" - but to disclose what to expect / manage expectations.

It's also typical disclosure to have a chart with service levels (early morning, morning peak, midday, evening peak, late night) if there is a private operator, so the public knows what the operator will be contractually required to provide.

And frequency would vary by line, so it also addresses misconceptions or greater expectations (if people think it would be the same as the Yonge Line).

Last edited:
S-Bahn is something that will never exist in Canada. Go or EXO or whatever can never replicate anything like S-Bahn. Give it up.
RER with 15-minute off-peak service is generally considered S-Bahn. Why won't GO achieve this? They've already partially achieved it on the Lakeshore East line, but not yet, as shoulder and weekend services drop to every 30 minutes, and once upgrades and electrification are complete I don't see how it doesn't qualify.

And surely the Montreal REM system is equivalent to S-Bahn. It will have the frequencies, and the Alstom Metropolis rolling stock is similar to the Alstom Metropolis rolling stock used on Sydney's Metro, which is considered equivalent to S-Bahn.

RER with 15-minute off-peak service is generally considered S-Bahn. Why won't GO achieve this? They've already partially achieved it on the Lakeshore East line, but not yet, as shoulder and weekend services drop to every 30 minutes, and once upgrades and electrification are complete I don't see how it doesn't qualify.

And surely the Montreal REM system is equivalent to S-Bahn. It will have the frequencies, and the Alstom Metropolis rolling stock is similar to the Alstom Metropolis rolling stock used on Sydney's Metro, which is considered equivalent to S-Bahn.
Well that's fine, GO has one diesel train that chugs along its one route at near S-Bahn frequencies and it may be electrified some day, hopefully before most of us are all dead.. and that would be the one line..cool! Toronto will claim it has an S-Bahn! (and believe me, Toronto will. Lakeshore one line S-Bahn lol!) So how long before the 26 line all-electric spiderweb envelopes the city?
REM is cool, doesn't come close to covering the entire city, can't hook up with non-existent subway stations that simply aren't there.
When it comes to transit, Canadian cities suck.

Last edited:
You know, this is an example of the Provincial dumbnitude and arrogance of lifer Torontonians who are such complete wankers that, after living with so many of them, you simply say 'That's it, I'm out'
These twats who think they can critique a city that they've never been to by using 'hydro' and 'tap water' prices (we're so cool, our showers cost 2 cents less!) - completely out of context of the overall reality of life in any given place that their blowhard, World Klass asses have never even been to..
And honestly , I can't think of a single instance where Toronto outperforms Berlin in any way that relates to the quality life of actual human beings.
I've had 2 Berlin friends who landed in Toronto. "What should we do?" they asked. "I don't know, go to the 2 museums and the other 2 attractions, look at the condos and make sure you hit the bars before 2? After that.. go to MacDonalds. We have 100's of MacDonalds. We have a MacDonalds on every second corner"
To the average Berliner, this simply does not compute.
But honestly, what else can you say?
What else can you recommend they do?

Honestly your rudeness is exhausting, and I've actually been to Berlin, and for more than a stopover............

The rest of this post isn't worth my time.

Last edited:
You hit the nail right on the head, CityStay. Bravo!

Not a poster you choose to emulate or applaud.

Rudeness is not a desirable trait here.

He's also plain wrong; but diverging opinions are fine, when expressed thoughtfully and without attacks on communities, countries or other posters.

Well that's fine, GO has one diesel train that chugs along its one route at near S-Bahn frequencies and it may be electrified some day, hopefully before most of us are all dead.. and that would be the one line..cool!
There's been local information meetings in my neighbourhood about staging for the next phase of Lakeshore East construction between Queen and Scarborough station ... isn't construction starting in the next couple of weeks - if it hasn't already, I should go check out the staging area.

I'm not sure how it's "one diesel train", given that the work is for Lakeshore East/Stouffville, which is two routes, and Lakeshore West is a separate project.

It's already near-RER levels (pre-covid) for about 100 km of track, and Lakeshore should be double that by the time they finish. That's half the length of the Munich S-bahn, and ignores that the Stouffville, Barrie, and Kitchener lines are also advancing quickly.

When it comes to transit, Canadian cities suck.
LOL, have you been to the USA? So we shouldn't improve it then? Even if you don't improve it, I don't think it helps to say things that are simply not true, or call your peers "twats"!

There's been local information meetings in my neighbourhood about staging for the next phase of Lakeshore East construction between Queen and Scarborough station ... isn't construction starting in the next couple of weeks - if it hasn't already, I should go check out the staging area.

I'm not sure how it's "one diesel train", given that the work is for Lakeshore East/Stouffville, which is two routes, and Lakeshore West is a separate project.

It's already near-RER levels (pre-covid) for about 100 km of track, and Lakeshore should be double that by the time they finish. That's half the length of the Munich S-bahn, and ignores that the Stouffville, Barrie, and Kitchener lines are also advancing quickly.

LOL, have you been to the USA? So we shouldn't improve it then? Even if you don't improve it, I don't think it helps to say things that are simply not true, or call your peers "twats"!

Your logic is useless here. All this person wants to do is bash Toronto, despite knowing what they’re saying is easily disprovable.

according to them, Toronto is a culinary wasteland devoid of anything but “MacDonalds”, a restaurant which cool bohemian Berlin obviously doesn’t have 🙄

Toronto can be annoyingly small-minded at times, but even given that, this city is seeing more growth and change than any other major city on the continent — bar none. For way too many metros, a project like the Finch LRT or even the Kipling bus terminal (god forbid) would be seen as the signature transit project of the decade. For us? Those are mere drops in a massive, massive bucket. No one in North America is building transit anywhere near as much as us. And more than just transit, we’ve got vibrant new neighbourhoods being born all over the city — at the Don Lands, East Bayfront, East Harbour, the Christie Lands, Square One, VMC, and around practically every single mall in the GTA. The pace of change we’re seeing is incredible. Our already great city is getting better and better every year

yeah we’ve got areas of concern, and yeah progress feels like a constant drawn-out battle — two steps forwards and one step back. But it’s really easy to lose perspective of just how good we have it here. Toronto is amazing, not just for what it is but for what it could be, and really does seem to be becoming.

thanks for coming to my Ted talk

A small article on the (in)accessibility of the metro system. The STM is currently in the process of retrofitting its stations but there are huge accessibility gaps that make it difficult for lots of the population to access the metro.

This article on touches on stairs but there are many other aspects that make it hard for people including those god forsaken lever style doors that are almost impossible to open sometimes in the winter

Back