News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

miWay Transit

The new MiWay website is quietly being developed here. It's currently just a skeleton but provides a little peek at the new monthly pass design and something called "MiWay Mobile".

They're using a Word doc to list all unplanned service alerts, ie the ones people really need to know about. That's pretty much the worst way I can imagine to do that.

hey, I'm new here and just have a few questions about the new MiWay, MiLocal busses.
The MiLocal Buses look exactly like the ones in Toronto, as such, I'm just wondering if
a) will have the same seat layout (because seriously, I hate taking the TTC buses, the seat layout on the lower floor sucks)
b) will MiLocal buses be articulated? or will MiExpress buses be the only ones articulated?
c) (this is more a minor question/observation) I read somewhere that they plan to roll out the new MiWay livery only on the new buses (when they need to replace the current/older ones I suppose) over the next like 10 years, is this true? Or will they (if Possible) redo the current buses? I only ask because i know for some people (even with the MiWay adds on the buses) it may be a little confusing with what would look like 2 different transit services

Since this thread is being used to discuss the Transit Way, even though there is a separate thread, I will chime in. What happened to the City Centre portion being put underground?

Underground portion was changed to below-grade many years ago. On the planning maps they post online, they still show a proper transitway between Ridgeway and Hurontario with stations at Ridgeway, Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, Creditview, Square One, and Hurontario. So I'm guessing the Rathburn busway is just temporary.
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/churmead.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/centerin.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/credview.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/citycent.pdf

hey, I'm new here and just have a few questions about the new MiWay, MiLocal busses.
The MiLocal Buses look exactly like the ones in Toronto, as such, I'm just wondering if
a) will have the same seat layout (because seriously, I hate taking the TTC buses, the seat layout on the lower floor sucks)
b) will MiLocal buses be articulated? or will MiExpress buses be the only ones articulated?
c) (this is more a minor question/observation) I read somewhere that they plan to roll out the new MiWay livery only on the new buses (when they need to replace the current/older ones I suppose) over the next like 10 years, is this true? Or will they (if Possible) redo the current buses? I only ask because i know for some people (even with the MiWay adds on the buses) it may be a little confusing with what would look like 2 different transit services

Three different buses:

Orion 7 Hybrid, Orion 7 BRT, tricked-out New Flyer artic

Based on glance of the pics I've seen, the hybrid buses have the same lower seating layout as the TTC buses but different upper seating layout at the back. The BRT buses use same or similar seating layout the the current MT Orion uses, but also different layout at the back.

And of course the artics have different layout altogether, but the same or close to the same as to the current artics.

I doubt that all artics will be blue. Other than the 110, all the routes that need artics are local. Even now they have way too many blue artics...

Underground portion was changed to below-grade many years ago. On the planning maps they post online, they still show a proper transitway between Ridgeway and Hurontario with stations at Ridgeway, Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, Creditview, Square One, and Hurontario. So I'm guessing the Rathburn busway is just temporary.
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/churmead.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/centerin.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/credview.pdf
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/missplan/citycent.pdf

Three different buses:

Orion 7 Hybrid, Orion 7 BRT, tricked-out New Flyer artic

Based on glance of the pics I've seen, the hybrid buses have the same lower seating layout as the TTC buses but different upper seating layout at the back. The BRT buses use same or similar seating layout the the current MT Orion uses, but also different layout at the back.

And of course the artics have different layout altogether, but the same or close to the same as to the current artics.

I doubt that all artics will be blue. Other than the 110, all the routes that need artics are local. Even now they have way too many blue artics...

Creditview has long been removed as a transitway stop. One of the reasons it's of no use to me.

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/BRT_Lrgmap_Dec2008.pdf

Those are the stops we're actually getting: Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, City Centre, Central Parkway, Cawthra, Tomken, Dixie, Tahoe, Etobicoke Creek, Spectrum, Orbitor, Renforth. Notice Ridgeway and Creditview are gone. And the BRT uses the existing bus lanes between Erin Mills and Mavis (no Mavis station either though).

Last edited:
Creditview has long been removed as a transitway stop. One of the reasons it's of no use to me.

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/BRT_Lrgmap_Dec2008.pdf

Those are the stops we're actually getting: Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, City Centre, Central Parkway, Cawthra, Tomken, Dixie, Tahoe, Etobicoke Creek, Spectrum, Orbitor, Renforth. Notice Ridgeway and Creditview are gone. And the BRT uses the existing bus lanes between Erin Mills and Mavis (no Mavis station either though).

The maps I posted are more recent than that one. The maps I posted are from 2010. That map is from 2008.

The map you posted shows an interim BRT plan. The bus bypass lanes are not a permanent part of the BRT. It is out-of-date too as the Winston Churchill-Erin Mills section is not being constructed either. That map is based on an older EA from 2004.

MiLocal will still have artic's like they do today, in white only. Blue are band from theses routes

All busese will be upgraded to the new style as they are replace or overhaul.

The 2 colours are saying there is 2 different systems where blue will be express buses only while orange is local. There are other system that have gone this way.

The maps I posted are more recent than that one. The maps I posted are from 2010. That map is from 2008.

The map you posted shows an interim BRT plan. The bus bypass lanes are not a permanent part of the BRT. It is out-of-date too as the Winston Churchill-Erin Mills section is not being constructed either. That map is based on an older EA from 2004.

Having gone to one of the BRT meetings, I can say that Coruscanti is right. The map he posted is what we are getting. There won't be a Creditview station or Ridgeway station, and that portion of the BRT will run on bus bypass shoulders along the 403.

You're right, the Western Leg isn't being built yet. Only the eastern BRT is funded. And even so, the grade-separated portion at MCC isn't funded yet either, which is why we're getting the bus lanes on Rathburn. And the map I posted is directly from Mississauga's BRT page.

Having gone to one of the BRT meetings, I can say that Coruscanti is right. The map he posted is what we are getting. There won't be a Creditview station or Ridgeway station, and that portion of the BRT will run on bus bypass shoulders along the 403.

Yeah, I know, just saying it isn't the final long-term plan. The final full BRT is shown in the maps I posted, with stations at Ridgeway, Creditview, and Hurontario. These stations were never canceled, just postponed. Big difference.

Yeah, I know, just saying it isn't the final long-term plan. The final full BRT is shown in the maps I posted, with stations at Ridgeway, Creditview, and Hurontario. These stations were never canceled, just postponed. Big difference.

Yea, sorry... I should've read the whole post.

thanks for the info guys!
The 2 colours are saying there is 2 different systems where blue will be express buses only while orange is local. There are other system that have gone this way.
and to that, i was more getting at if they choose to replace the livery only as the buses age and not rebrand the current ones, we're going to have what looks like two different services, one labled Mississauga Transit and one MiWay. Ya I know, thats a trivial thing really, but still, it may confuse some people :p

And for the MiWay Mobile thing, I read in an inTransit pamphlet today that its going to be an app for "iPods, iPhones, and smartphones". it didn't really specify exactly what it would be doing, but I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume that its just going to be the click 'n ride thing in app form...(wouldn't it be something if the app actually allowed you to track where your bus was on its route! I know...i'm dreaming here...lol)

Except those aren't funded and are light years away.

MT service changes, September 6:
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/servicechanges

Highlights
- 32B Eglinton West - canceled
- 102 Intercity Express and 202 Hurontario Express - new stop at Bristol (unfortunately the 10 still services Huntingfield Dr so the connect is still difficult at best)
- 107 Malton Express - 4 new stops
- 110 University - new frequencies - not as good as it was last year, imo

The rest are just minor schedule adjustments of one or two trips. Pretty disappointing, especially compared to what Brampton is getting. Brampton now has better Sunday service. Hopefully, MT will add a lot of service in October when Mi Local and Mi Express are launched officially.

Back