News   Jul 22, 2024
 465     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 597     0 

Mississauga Summit (Mississauga Int'l Airport?)

Myabe Mississauga should have planned a little bit into the future when they started allowing development in the 'MCC' area. There used to be TONNES of vacant land whitout anything around for miles. At that time they should have put in or held back the land for a city centre link to the airport. Would have been a lot easier then prior to anything being built. I worked in Mississauga in the early 90's (HWY 10 and Eglington area) and you could have built an airport there as there was so much land. It could have even followed the 403 to the 401 then tunnel into airport.

Hazel and her love for the car....

Would you? :)

Sure. I take requests from time to time.

By request, the Mississauga Busway Song:

---

Once heard at a Mississauga Council Meeting:

So it's decided then. We'll put transit money into our overcrowded existing corridors.

Wait!

You know, a suburb with a big reserve fund is a little like a mule with a spinning wheel. No-one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it!
The name's Chong. Gordon Chong. I come to you good people with an idea. A wonderful idea!
Naw. You're not interested. It's more like a Winnipeg kind of idea.

Wait! We're bigger than Winnipeg, and a lot safer too. Just tell us your idea and we'll vote for it.

Alright. I'll show you my idea! (lifts cover)
I give you the Mississauga Busway!

Ooooh!

I've sold busways to Ottawa, Pittsburgh and ahhh, ohhh Ottawa. And by golly, I put these places on transit's cutting edge!

I'm offering Mississauga a genuine bona-fide dieselized, two-lane busway. What's is called?

Busway!

That's right! - Busway!

Busway!
Busway!
Busway!
Busway!

Shouldn't we be going light rail?
- Don't you worry, my plan won't fail!

But wouldn't ridership be really low?
- But the trip to nowhere won't be so slow!

The walk to bus stops will be quite far.
- Don't be silly, drive your car!

I heard that buses are awfully loud.
- Buses will drive gentle as a cloud!

I swear it's 'Sauga's only choice!
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!

Busway! Busway! Busway!

We've got concerns about the route that's chosen!
- Sorry guys, Hazel's spoken!

Busway,
Busway,
Busway!!!!!
Bus - D'oh!

I should note though, that my views on the Mississauga Busway have mellowed somewhat since I wrote the above song. I still disagree with the alignment quite strongly (it's isolated in a freeway and hydro corridor, has few trip generators on-line), and don't think that park-and-ride is the way to feed a transit corridor, but at least light rail is planned now for Hurontario and Dundas.

I'd much rather see the detoured GO train in that 403 right of way. They could built it at the same time as the LRT right of way down Hurontario. They'd have to dig up the street anyway, so dig a trench, put in the GO line, and then put the LRT on top. Run it up until it crosses the 403, and then turn west and run along the 403 ROW until it rejoins the Milton GO line. Have the main station at Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario, and then maybe another one across the 403 from the current bus terminal. With S-Bahn type service, it would be much more useful than the busway.

Of course, if we had just built GO ALRT, we'd have rapid transit every 5 minutes in that corridor, all the way from Hamilton and all the way to Pearson, York U, Scarborough Centre, Pickering and Oshawa.

Doady, it doesn't overlap. It's just one stop at Square One, and then another one well to the west, away from Hurontario. The point is not to provide local service on Hurontario. It's to bring rapid transit from western Mississauga, through MCC, past the BD subway, and to Downtown Toronto.

Myabe Mississauga should have planned a little bit into the future when they started allowing development in the 'MCC' area. There used to be TONNES of vacant land whitout anything around for miles. At that time they should have put in or held back the land for a city centre link to the airport.
With the possible exception for a place for the link in City Centre (though I'd assume likely near this new hotel or next to the current transit terminal, there pretty much is a continuous stretch of land that they could run a link through. The Hydro corridor on the 403 could easily be used since I don't see the busway ever needing to be bigger than 2 lanes each direction (and the current plan uses the current bus lanes along the 403 most part) and the current hydro corridor is easily big enough to put another 403 in next to the current one. Follow the 403 to Cawthra, then take the Easgate ROW (which was suppose to be the original routing of the 403 before they decided to take it north @ Cawthra) and then follow it until it hits Eglinton, take the Eglinton ROW and then cut up north to the airport land somewhere east of Spectrum. There's plenty of land for a LRT/monorail/buslanes to easily connect to the airport from MCC. If anything, the bigger issue would be the lack of funds to build it.

I really hope that Hurontario and Dundas do get built as LRTs. They are the major streets of Mississauga and BRT would not be enough. And in the distant future could be converted to subway! lol

The Mississauga BRT though I don't see as being particularly useful unless the buses that take it go directly to a subway station.

That trip from the 427 to Kipling will be a real pain. At the very least, I hope that Toronto builds some serious bus ROW. Realistically, it would make much more sense to extend the subway a stop to a point closer to the 427. You might be able to get from Erin Mills to the 427 Dundas exit in 20 minutes with this busway, but you could get stuck in traffic for another 15 just to get to the station.

I'm going to officially protest the renaming of this thread...Second, the fun of posting and reading UT are the misleading titles...I'm going to request that thread be restored to original name: Mississauga International Airport.
UT has a tradition of misleading titles? This isn't The National Enquirer. Holy knickers in a knot dude.

The sad thing is, based on Hazel's silly antics in the past, I actually believed they requested the name change for real.

Back