News   Jul 30, 2024
 347     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 473     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

Yea I think Toronto's won't be 100% done till 2015.

Yea I think Toronto's won't be 100% done till 2015.

That's a bummer. Missy seems to have a can-do spirit these days and a flair for the big statement that is frequently lacking in the parent city where everything must advance along a wearisome succession of stages.

That's a bummer. Missy seems to have a can-do spirit these days and a flair for the big statement that is frequently lacking in the parent city where everything must advance along a wearisome succession of stages.

Missy's redevelopment is part of the infrastructure stimulus fund. It has to be done by next spring.

I wonder why Toronto didn't apply for funding for NPS... It certainly would've helped, even if it was just a bit.

tuscani:

Remember that LRT faux-pas? I think in the end Toronto's chunk went mostly to infrastructure projects.

AoD

That's correct, they got their share - a lot went to infrastructure in terms of road repairs and city venues (skating rinks and what not).

I do think Toronto is funding part of the waterfront development so that much cost a bit as well.

tuscani:

Remember that LRT faux-pas? I think in the end Toronto's chunk went mostly to infrastructure projects.

AoD

I think it would have been a smart move to redo NPS with infrastructure stimulus funding and just spend city money on one or more of the infrastructure projects that got funding. The general public would have been less upset about the city using federal money to redo NPS, but fine with city money going to a road or something small like that.

Also, the "general public" should get used to seeing the city overhauling public spaces, especially the most visible ones. I put that in quotations since I remember there was a lot of support among the nasty comments on newspaper comment sections when it was announced that the city would fund the NPS renovation. More people would feel that way except their passive interest in municipal affairs has resulted in their belief that the city is bankrupt.

Also, the "general public" should get used to seeing the city overhauling public spaces, especially the most visible ones. I put that in quotations since I remember there was a lot of support among the nasty comments on newspaper comment sections when it was announced that the city would fund the NPS renovation. More people would feel that way except their passive interest in municipal affairs has resulted in their belief that the city is bankrupt.

No I doubt that ... i.e. it has nothing to do with their belief that the city is bankrupt ... it probably stems from any property tax increase ... because, of course, even though we already pay the lowest in the GTA, we should pay even less ...

I'm fairly confident you're referring to the STAR's comment section ... in that case, just don't read it ... spare your self the agony - actually by talking to people in person [friends and what not] (and I've mentioned this before) most are in support such projects to a certain degree.

Toronto obviously is not "bankrupt" and I'm not sure how many people who are reasonably well informed would think that way. But Toronto has a history of bickering at council between left-wing and right-wing factions, and this has been brought into sharper focus thanks to Rob Ford and his complaining about some recent spending.

It's also pretty well publicized that some of the Toronto infrastructure badly needs updating (breaks in water lines on almost a daily basis during winter, arenas more than 25 years old and looking grungy, etc.) You don't hear of this in Miss. where older community centres and arenas are being overhauled. It's a matter of the perceptions. Once established, perceptions are hard to change, whether accurate or not.

Toronto obviously is not "bankrupt" and I'm not sure how many people who are reasonably well informed would think that way. But Toronto has a history of bickering at council between left-wing and right-wing factions, and this has been brought into sharper focus thanks to Rob Ford and his complaining about some recent spending.

It's also pretty well publicized that some of the Toronto infrastructure badly needs updating (breaks in water lines on almost a daily basis during winter, arenas more than 25 years old and looking grungy, etc.) You don't hear of this in Miss. where older community centres and arenas are being overhauled. It's a matter of the perceptions. Once established, perceptions are hard to change, whether accurate or not.

Not true ... Mississauga has it's share of 'old' infrastucture that's in need of updating as well ...

Well, all but one community pool is closed in Sauga for overhaul as per the stimulus right now, I believe.

AoD

Well there you go, and there's likely other issues not touched by the stimulus money.
Quite a bit of the money for Toronto went to older rinks, for example, from what I recall as well.

Back