540     1 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

From today...
20100818091.jpg

20100818093.jpg

20100818094.jpg

20100818095.jpg

20100818098.jpg

I had no idea this was happening in Mississauga. Its great to see that the city attempting to enhance the built environment instead of reckless development. I remember when I was studying architecture and planning outside of Canada, we actually studied Mississauga as one of the most poorly, irresponsibly planned cities. This is a step in the right direction...

I had no idea this was happening in Mississauga. Its great to see that the city attempting to enhance the built environment instead of reckless development. I remember when I was studying architecture and planning outside of Canada, we actually studied Mississauga as one of the most poorly, irresponsibly planned cities. This is a step in the right direction...

Here is the "newly" released master plan for MCC...
http://www6.mississauga.ca/onlinemaps/planbldg/images/DT21/Downtown21%20Report%20&%20Master%20Plan.pdf

Last edited:
It's a great plan, but I am more concerned about the politics of it - like just how much political will to see it through, knowing it is very much the antithesis of planning in Sauga as practiced.

AoD

Totally. Considering the masterplanning history of Mississauga, I'm assuming this is a 100 year plan.

The politicians and staff at the City of Mississauga are all behind the plans to turn the Mississauga Growth Centre (along Hurontario from 403 to QEW) into a real urban city centre over the next twenty years. I think there are two reasons for this. One, Mississauga is the sixth largest city in Canada and they want to have a city centre to rival other similarly sized cities (e.g. not just be a suburb of Toronto) and two, by directing all high-density growth to the City Centre the existing low density areas will be better protected.

^ Very true.

The fact that Mississauga is the 6th largest city in Canada.. there no doubt the city want's to try and peel the image of "a suburb of Toronto." Although at the end of the day... Mississauga is apart of the GTA.

It's obvious where the political will is coming/will come from - a desire to keep growing with a belated recognition that much of what was built in the past 40 years failed. A city won't grow if the last 1% or so of available land is paved over with surface parking lots. Don't focus on the "real" urban centre branding...that's just par for the course these days, when quaintness is a virtue.

It's obvious where the political will is coming/will come from - a desire to keep growing with a belated recognition that much of what was built in the past 40 years failed. A city won't grow if the last 1% or so of available land is paved over with surface parking lots. Don't focus on the "real" urban centre branding...that's just par for the course these days, when quaintness is a virtue.

And the thing is, Mississauga is still growing at a respectable rate despite very nearly running out of land to build subdivisions on. Nearly all future growth is going to be in condos now.

Mississauga needs to strategize on how to entice business, white collar business, to their core if they truly want to lose this "Toronto's suburb kid brother" moniker and grow into something more than a concentration of condos. I have no idea how this would be accomplished though. They can't compete in the finance industry nor can they be a talent hub due to lack of higher education institutions.

Back