News   Jul 30, 2024
 142     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 332     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but in all the pictures...there is no street life.

From what I have studied, suburban city squares are pretty "useless" if designed wrong. I can't speak for Miss. but in Uptown Waterloo, only skaters use the square.

It has no street life, because the entire area is closed off to people as it is a construction zone. I thought that was obvious.

So the whole section of Burnhamthorpe Rd near the square is closed off as well? My comment was directed to before the construction.

North of Burnhamthorpe is closed to Princess Royal Dr. And west of Duke of York to Living Arts Dr.

As for the square, it actually gets quite a bit of usage in the past few years. In the summer, there is even chairs and tables for people to sit outside and relax in the sun with a coffee, etc.

Mississauga is still oriented to the automobile. It needs a parking spot for each car, which on average would hold 1.3 or 1.2 people. And still leave extra spaces in the far reaches... just in case. Just look how much real estate it needs, a little more than the typical small office cubicle, not counting aisle space.

Can we stick to the redevelopment, instead of bashing Mississauga yet again? Man you people just never quit.

Great thanks. I can't wait to see this square done.

I personally like Mississauga. It is a suburban city but it has been changing itself, which is interesting to see.

I'm just hope this development won't become like the square in Uptown Waterloo.

From what I have studied, suburban city squares are pretty "useless" if designed wrong. I can't speak for Miss. but in Uptown Waterloo, only skaters use the square.
In the winter the square was packed with skaters, and the Quantum 2 Cosmos Festival events packed it as well. I think most major squares have skateboarders, regardless of whether it's permitted or not, but in my experience, the Waterloo isn't trying to stop it in some spots, even going as far to set-up rails on the north side. I would say that the Waterloo Square has been a huge success, having turned a blight of a parking lot on THE main street of the city into something more appealing. It's not like there's a lack of parking in uptown in the first place.

That said, I hope that the major improvements being made in 'sauga will help create a more vibrant area. Like the PPS report said, much of the original design deterred people from coming in, which will be corrected in this revision. I can't wait to see it all done.

From the 7th
20100707a011.jpg

From this weekend
20100710002.jpg

20100710003.jpg

20100710007.jpg

20100710006.jpg

The only thing that is supposed to be ready by January, is the public skating/reflecting pool, no?

Construction is scheduled to be completed in March but some, as you mention, aspects of the square will be opened beforehand such as the rink and and the pool; other than the skating, the outdoor activities don't usually start until late April/May anyway.

I'm curious to know what kind of restaurant/cafe/other will be going into the new library pavilion...I know there is a mom-and-pop snack bar in the main foyer now but it's a bit weak.

Last edited:
Jasonzed:

I'm curious to know what kind of restaurant/cafe/other will be going into the new library pavilion...I know there is a mom-and-pop snack bar in the main foyer now but it's a bit weak.

There was a full fledged cafe at the Central Library at one point - it went under. The mom-and-pop snackbar is doing just fine on the other hand - the food isn't bad and I hope it stays in some form.

AoD

Back