News   May 02, 2024
 775     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 229     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 306     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The Canada Company Office, 1834, designed by John Howard, east side of Frederick Street, south of King:

NE corner of King and Frederick:

1880:

1895:

Sketch by Owen Staples 1912:

Last edited:
Latham House, north side of Adelaide (Duke), between Berkeley and Parliament:

1884 map (centre):

Today. The realignment of Adelaide to meet the ramp to the DVP actually cuts through the existing property:

1885:

1890:

1952:

Today (approximate given the change in road alignment):

Last edited:
Then and Now for April 1, 2013.

Then. 'Looking N from the top of the Eaton factory c1910.' Dundas crosses left to right/west to east across the middle of the picture. Bay street is the north south street. The church on the northeast corner of Dundas and Bay was a theatre (The Lyric) in its later years. It came down for the famous Ford Hotel which in turn gave way to the present Atrium office complex.

1035lookingnfromtopofteatonfactoryca1910.jpg

Now. Oct. 2012.

At the left edge of both pictures can be seen a walk up apartment building (with retail on the ground floor). It's a real survivor in this neighbourhood. It stretches from midblock on Dundas between Bay and Elizabeth all the way to Elizabeth.

1036.jpg

I remember this corner of Bay & Dundas well.
In the 1940s-50s Wolfson's Drug Store occupied this north-west corner of Bay & Dundas.
My brother had a big blue wooden Star newspaper box on the corner - right outside the drug store. My other brother and I helped with the selling of the Star and Telegram newspapers.
Further up Bay St. you can see the light grey bldg. which is the Grey Coach Bus Line.
In between the bus terminal and the drug store was the Manhattan Restaurant - and further along - a pool hall in the basement - then a driveway - then the bus terminal.

Hi Nuey-Jai,

You wrote:

"In the 1940s-50s Wolfson's Drug Store occupied this north-west corner of Bay & Dundas....

Further up Bay St. you can see the light grey bldg. which is the Grey Coach Bus Line. In between the bus terminal and the drug store was the Manhattan Restaurant - and further along - a pool hall in the basement - then a driveway - then the bus terminal."

Almost everything was still there in this 1965 photo, although the restaurant [whose sign is a bit obscured] was now called the "America".

s0648_fl0168_id0001_zps63c20d89.jpg

It will be the little secret of the Chinese speakers here what "Nuey-Jai" means. :)

Last edited:
Orde St. School used to have a 'Health School' also that was on the top floors of the school. Children who were deemed 'underweight' by the health nurses would be sent off to this Health Section of Orde St. P.S. where they would receive snacks, lunches, rest periods and regular school work. There were also 'Open Air Schools' that operated in High Park and other parks, where the children were taught in a portable set-up classroom that was completely open on the top. These classes existed in the late 1940s and early 50s.

**This quote was supposed to be with the Orde Street School class photo - wonder what became of it - could be on another page?

The changing face of the NE corner of Bay and Front:

Early 19thC, the George Hillier House, 1912 painting by F.V.Poole:

The William Warren Baldwin House, built in 1838, 1912 painting by F.V.Poole:

1885:

1889:

1893 chromolithograph:

1903 (just north of Front):

1904:

1911:

1922:

1928:

1930:

1950:

1954:

Today:

Last edited:
**This quote was supposed to be with the Orde Street School class photo - wonder what became of it - could be on another page?

Is your post with a photo not appearing? If you like, you can send it to me and I can host the picture with my own Photobucket and repost it for you. You have my email already.

found this pic on another blog...not sure if it belongs in here..

early 80s Eaton Centre
tumblr_mv5r1hD7qJ1slghd6o1_500.jpg

GKW,

Like the proudly posing dude here, the Eaton Centre has been such a cultural and personal touchstone for those of us who have steered a date through there [guilty - the missus and I went to Mr. Greenjeans often], pushed toddlers around to pass the time [that too], and perhaps even now occasionally sit for a meal or shop there [Eddie Bauer has 40% off outerwear] :) .

I predict the Eaton Centre will be around for a long time - the condo boom downtown will see to that.

Today, in the same location:

R0011037_zpsa353327b.jpg

Last edited:
thecharioteer, that 1954 colour picture of the Bay car is absolutely iconic. Looking at it is to be pulled into it. Like time travel. :)

GKW,

Like the proudly posing dude here, the Eaton Centre has been such a cultural and personal touchstone for those of us who have steered a date through there [guilty - the missus and I went to Mr. Greenjeans often], pushed toddlers around to pass the time [that too], and perhaps even now occasionally sit for a meal or shop there [LL Bean has 40% off outerwear] :) .

[/IMG]

There's an LL Bean in the Eaton Centre? Where's that hiding?

This is a very nice little street scene in Toronto, from the Star some time
ago.

I've not been able to find out where it is or was using Google, Tineye...

Does anyone know where this is?

Toronto Star street scene.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto Star street scene.jpg
    Toronto Star street scene.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 839

Back