News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Not quite. I just guessed her age and typed her name into a search box. Somebody else took the photo.
http://canadianheadstones.com/on/view.php?id=203664

She's at Mount Pleasant if you and thecharioteer want to pay your respects.:)

Actually, I felt a bit emotional when I saw your post. She died quite young (and came from a huge family). She was 20 when the picture was taken…..

Victoria Lane 1912
Building on the right, Educational Publishing Co.
Perhaps someone (J.T?) will be able to locate the address so that a "Then & Now" can be accomplished.

VictoriaLane1912byArthurGoss_zps3b4b94d2.jpg

Here's another, looking for a "Now"

Imperial Hotel, 38 Dundas St. E., c.1945
NE corner of Victoria St. Lane

f1257_s1057_it0525.jpg

Last edited:
Victoria Lane 1912
Building on the right, Educational Publishing Co.
Perhaps someone (J.T?) will be able to locate the address so that a "Then & Now" can be accomplished.

VictoriaLane1912byArthurGoss_zps3b4b94d2.jpg

Victoria Lane appears to have been renamed O'Keeffe Lane, after the brewery at the south-east corner of Gould and Victoria. There was also (and still is) a Victoria Street Lane running N-S between Victoria and Bond. I think locating the Educational Publishing Co. in a directory is probably the best way of finding this, but I have a feeling the intersection no longer exists (same with the Imperial Hotel).

http://data2.archives.ca/e/e428/e010696081_a1-v8.jpg

Here's another, looking for a "Now"

Imperial Hotel, 38 Dundas St. E., c.1945
NE corner of Victoria St. Lane

f1257_s1057_it0525.jpg

Heya Goldie, The old hotel building is still there. This is a Google streetview photo of course. I do believe this is the 1st time I've done this. :) Anyhow, consider it a 'placeholder' until you can get down there on a nice day when the light and weather is right to take a 'Goldie' 'Now.

Clipboard01_zps898f3a0b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for those assists, lemur & Mustapha.
If the predicted snows come early this year, I won't be visiting that area until spring.

It looks to me as though the Educational Publishing building in the first (1912) photo was converted into the second (1945) Victoria Hotel building (see rounded window at corner) and now it is still there as Imperial Pub. Plus ca change and all that!

BTW. The City maps still refer to this as Victoria Street Lane

Last edited:
It looks to me as though the Educational Publishing building in the first (1912) photo was converted into the second (1945) Victoria Hotel building (see rounded window at corner) and now it is still there as Imperial Pub. Plus ca change and all that!

BTW. The City maps still refer to this as Victoria Street Lane

There are a lot of details in the brickwork of the Educational Publishing building that don't appear in the Imperial Hotel, although I grant you that the column at the corner is similar.

I'm aware that Victoria Street Lane still exists; it's Victoria Lane (minus the Street) that is now O'Keeffe Lane, half a block west of Victoria St.

I believe they may be the same building, the publisher and the pub. You can see the spire of what is now a Lutheran church above the publisher and to the right.

We just need the address of the 'publisher' to confirm these theories.

Both Victoria Lane and Okeefes Lane appear on this 1916 map.
Okeefes La. ran from Shuter to Gerrard and Victoria La. from Queen to Gould.

Toronto1916x_zpsf78f3382.jpg

Back