News   Jun 17, 2024
 112     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 174     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 328     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for Nov 17.

Then. No 8 Fire Hall. College street at Bellevue. It was gutted by fire in 1978.

271No8Firehalloneyearbeforefireshowingoldbuildingwithclock.jpg

Now. June 2011. Our rebuilt firehall. The enclosed balcony is still there; I couldn't fit it all into my viewfinder.

272.jpg

That was a great "then and now" because it shows a rare Toronto example of a heritage building rebuilt after a calamity, and it's evident that the rebuild was quite accurate. The tower makes the College streetscape seem so much more picturesque when seen from, for instance, Spadina.

That was a great "then and now" because it shows a rare Toronto example of a heritage building rebuilt after a calamity, and it's evident that the rebuild was quite accurate. The tower makes the College streetscape seem so much more picturesque when seen from, for instance, Spadina.

I agree. My only (minor) complaint is that the new brick colours were slightly "off".

firehalldrawing.jpg

1960's:

firehallcollege.jpg

Last edited:

I visited the station a few years ago during Doors Open. A handsome station with handsome firemen.;)

I assumed the the southern part was not rebuilt so that they could fit newer, larger fire trucks, but it looks from the plans that it was not original?

I visited the station a few years ago during Doors Open. A handsome station with handsome firemen.;)

I assumed the the southern part was not rebuilt so that they could fit newer, larger fire trucks, but it looks from the plans that it was not original?

junctionist: It's all the more picturesque because it's old, and it's the tallest thing around. I'll add another adjective: 'distinctive'. :) Until the condos hem it in, we can all enjoy it.

Anna: 'handsome firemen'. ah, yes, how many of us in middle age wish that we had careers that involved much daily mobility to keep the pounds off. :)

Then and Now for Nov 18.

Then. wwwebster once again makes possible todays Then and Now, (the last from me until Sunday night, unless Anna, brewster, alden, thecharioteer or Goldie comes along) with the surprise of additional bonus related images to delight the eye and mind over the weekend.

Then. The Garden Theatre. 290 College street. c1915.

266290-292Collegec1915GardenTheatre.jpg

Now. June 2011.

268.jpg

Bonus images:

The rooftop garden. I tried to get up there to do a 'Now', but the second floor - which might still grant access - is a nightclub for glossy twenty-somethings and I wasn't wearing my thrifted blue blazer with the RCYC badge and complementing gray wool bellbottomed pants (bellbottoms are back 'in', right?, except they now call it 'bootcut' or something) to impress my way past those guys who probably fulltime as trainers that vet who can get in.

267GardenRooftop.jpg

Annn-nnd, the 1918 Toronto business directory showing our Garden Theatre listed and all the other picture houses in Toronto at that time.

Exciting suggestion for you folks who are keeners - print the images of the directory and go see if any of those theatres still exist. Take a picture of the location. Do let us know. :)

269torontodirec191800midiuoft_1558.jpg

270torontodirec191800midiuoft_1559.jpg

eventually became cinema lumiere.
used to loveto watch fred astaire/ginger rogers marathons there in the 70's.
was in there one night when part of the ceiling fell on the seats during rebel without a cause.

Then and Now for Nov 18.

Exciting suggestion for you folks who are keeners - print the images of the directory and go see if any of those theatres still exist. Take a picture of the location. Do let us know. :)

Well, I know that I could still buy an awning from Pike's - I'd just have to go Woodbridge to take a photo.

Then and Now for Nov 18.

Then. wwwebster once again makes possible todays Then and Now, (the last from me until Sunday night, unless Anna, brewster, alden, thecharioteer or Goldie comes along) with the surprise of additional bonus related images to delight the eye and mind over the weekend.

Then. The Garden Theatre. 290 College street. c1915.

266290-292Collegec1915GardenTheatre.jpg

Now. June 2011.

268.jpg

Bonus images:

The rooftop garden. I tried to get up there to do a 'Now', but the second floor - which might still grant access - is a nightclub for glossy twenty-somethings and I wasn't wearing my thrifted blue blazer with the RCYC badge and complementing gray wool bellbottomed pants (bellbottoms are back 'in', right?, except they now call it 'bootcut' or something) to impress my way past those guys who probably fulltime as trainers that vet who can get in.

267GardenRooftop.jpg

Annn-nnd, the 1918 Toronto business directory showing our Garden Theatre listed and all the other picture houses in Toronto at that time.

270torontodirec191800midiuoft_1559.jpg

Thanks Mustapha , I feel honored to be mentioned in such an elite group.

Re: The Garden Theatre Roof Garden:

I think it's time to revive the idea of rooftop theatres:

Madison Square Garden Rooftop Theater 1906:

MadisonSqRoofGarden1906001.jpg

Back