News   Jun 26, 2024
 200     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

270torontodirec191800midiuoft_1559.jpg

Thanks so much for that list of 1918 cinemas, Mustapha.
I had no idea that my, all-time-favorite cinema, The Iola on Danforth, was so old.
That's where I went each Saturday to see every episode of the serial, Captain Marvel.
The name change (to The Ace) must have taken place just before 1947.

Attachments

• TN Iola-Ace 1947.jpg
    TN Iola-Ace 1947.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 271
Thanks so much for that list of 1918 cinemas, Mustapha.
I had no idea that my, all-time-favorite cinema, The Iola on Danforth, was so old.
That's where I went each Saturday to see every episode of the serial, Captain Marvel.
The name change (to The Ace) must have taken place just before 1947.

My Danforth theater was the Roxy at Greenwood. Where was the Iola Goldie?

Rev Canon Cody's son, Maurice drowned as a young man. Maurice Cody Public School is named for him on Belsize Drive in Davisville.

Ok, so it;s not Toronto,... its Berlin Wall: Then and Now. Still, I think the history of Berlin to be one of the more interesting city histories. I must return sometime...

There are 14 pictures to click through.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/6487736/Berlin-Wall-then-and-now.html

Beware--you'll get sucked in. It has quite a long and interesting history, and for obvious reasons, no other city is quite like it.

If you follow the links on that page to the images of the building of the Wall, you'll see one of the signal stories of the dividing of Berlin: Bernauer Strasse. This was the famous street where houses were in the East, but the sidewalk just outside was in the West, so in the early days all one had to do is climb down through a window. Those exits were bricked up fairly quickly. Eventually, the houses were all torn down as the Wall became permanent, and a church that lay in No Man's Land just inside the eastern side was actually blown up only a few years before the Wall came down.

The Wall years are full of evocative stories such as ghost subway stations, weird little bits of land that were Western and Eastern by strange quirks and suffered interesting fates (look up the Lenne Triangle for one of them), and daring or tragic escape attempts.

Beware--you'll get sucked in. It has quite a long and interesting history, and for obvious reasons, no other city is quite like it.

If you follow the links on that page to the images of the building of the Wall, you'll see one of the signal stories of the dividing of Berlin: Bernauer Strasse. This was the famous street where houses were in the East, but the sidewalk just outside was in the West, so in the early days all one had to do is climb down through a window. Those exits were bricked up fairly quickly. Eventually, the houses were all torn down as the Wall became permanent, and a church that lay in No Man's Land just inside the eastern side was actually blown up only a few years before the Wall came down.

The Wall years are full of evocative stories such as ghost subway stations, weird little bits of land that were Western and Eastern by strange quirks and suffered interesting fates (look up the Lenne Triangle for one of them), and daring or tragic escape attempts.

Pub bore mode on: So there I was in a taxi in Leipzig - in East Germany - some years ago (don't ask) and the non-English speaking taxi driver takes me past a building and says 'Stasi'. Then he takes his hand and puts it up against his throat and air punches his head with the other hand. :) I think we Canadians have much to be thankful for; if comparatively uneventful lives are something to be thankful for.

Ok, so it;s not Toronto,... its Berlin Wall: Then and Now. Still, I think the history of Berlin to be one of the more interesting city histories. I must return sometime...

There are 14 pictures to click through.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/6487736/Berlin-Wall-then-and-now.html

Some amazing stuff there in just 22 years. But I just want to say that there is a beautiful robin's-egg blue "Kaefer" cabriolet (late 60s era) in the Now photo about 8-9 photos in.

Then and Now for Nov 21.

Knox Church, 630 Spadina Ave. c1909.

This church has always looked somewhat odd to me, like there was an accident and a portion of the steeple was lost, apparently not, it was built that way.

Love the thread Mustapha, have been following from the start but only recently joined the board.

Bathurst and Eglinton -South/East-The original office building being built is long gone?

Yeah, a standard brick 1950ish affair, it bit the dust about a decade ago--though why on behalf of a single-storey taxpayer, I don't know...

Back