News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

June 24 addition.

Queen and Ontario, NW corner. No corner Now.

queenandontarioNWThen.jpg

What is a wash frock? Is that like a pinny?

If ever the summer girl had her opportunity, it is now. All comes to those who wait. During the last two or three seasons the washing-frock has been steadily gaining in favour, and would have arrived considerably sooner, save for the retarding influence of the "blanche" toilette.

Truer words were never spoken.

What is a wash frock? Is that like a pinny?

A wash frock was an apron.
"In 1947 people didn't have the luxury of owning extensive wardrobes and washing of clothing was not done on a frequent basis. Many folks used wringer washers, hung clothing on the line to dry, and every piece had to be ironed. Aprons served a practical purpose. They covered up the dress underneath and protected it from soiling, and made washing easier - you could wash the apron every couple of days, but wore the dress underneath 4-5 days or a week. Housewives, school teachers, children, shop-keepers, even secretaries all wore various styles of aprons over their clothing daily."

New York archives

Thanks to "Urban Shocker" for that link to the NY Public Library archives.
This may be off-topic, but I enjoyed surfing that site's old photographs.
Surprisingly, there are even some photographs of Canada such as this one of Montreal.
Unfortunately, my brief search did not yield any Toronto photos.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 376
Are we frocking finished here? :)

Thanks to "Urban Shocker" for that link to the NY Public Library archives.
This may be off-topic, but I enjoyed surfing that site's old photographs.
Surprisingly, there are even some photographs of Canada such as this one of Montreal.
Unfortunately, my brief search did not yield any Toronto photos.

There is a growing resource of urban historical pictures online; what a great resource there, thanks.

these are some great photos. i would like to have seen, in person, College Park several decades ago.

Thanks emacs, and welcome. The 'Eatons College Street' as everyone called it, was not as hectic as its cousin on Queen - it was a serene, quiet place. It's difficult to walk the Winners store now and imagine it as refined department store selling space. You have to go to a New York City (Macy's, Lord and Taylor) or a Chicago (Carson Pirie Scott) to get a sense of the loss (although those are older buildings...).

theres a great article about this thread & Mustapha in torontoist today

http://torontoist.com/2009/06/snapshot_in_time_jeff_low.php

Thanks tomms. I even appear, 'Waldo-like' in the College street pic.:)

Last edited:

Back