News   Jul 09, 2024
 171     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 471     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.2K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

My thanks to Mustapha for an incredible thread. It both takes me back to my own childhood, but also that of my parents. Wonderful.

As I haven't commented in this thread, at least for a long while....

A few catch-ups...

The old theatre shots.

- I miss the Hyland the Uptown, the Eglinton, the Hollywood, all of which were favourite places for a quiet sunday movie or a Friday date night throughout the 1990's

- I never got to see the University, my parents didn't take me before they tore it down! :mad:

- That strip of Queen opposite City Hall wasn't much to look at; but still better than Sheraton and parking ramp. I don't know if this block is fixable w/o tearing it all down again and starting over.

- Does anyone have shots of the original Beach Cinema (interiors esp.)? (currently a run down mini-mall) my mom always raved about it; but it was nothing to look at by the time I was a tyke!

Thanks Northern Light,

June 25 addition, an old theatre for you.

Sorry to rub it in.

It's the University.:)

Universitytheatre2.jpg

DSCF0736.jpg

Universitytheatre1.jpg

DSCF0735.jpg

Tip: Download 'Return of the Jedi' and watch it on your iPod whilst standing in the Pottery Barn.

xo

apollotheatrelate30s.jpg

IMGP0328.jpg

1930's, present day of the apollo- one of the many theaters that were once located in the west toronto junction. Dundas st west, and Mavetey. the first image is from a book by the west toronto junction historical society. I don't recall exactly which one, if you'd like to know, i can find out though. enjoy!

Get back to work Jeff and stop yammering to the old guys on company time. Congratulations on your continued notoriety.

jeff72.jpg

Aaron isn't old. He's only 33. You'll hurt his feelings.

My hips and thighs look huge. Can you slim them down?

apollotheatrelate30s.jpg

IMGP0328.jpg

1930's, present day of the apollo- one of the many theaters that were once located in the west toronto junction. Dundas st west, and Mavetey. the first image is from a book by the west toronto junction historical society. I don't recall exactly which one, if you'd like to know, i can find out though. enjoy!

Welcome bgbg. I'm enjoying, much, thanks. Fast service too. Can you pick up this thread from here on?:)

Last edited:
Before then & now
The Tornos' suite under construction
s0648_fl0070_id0011.jpg
Thanks Northern Light,

June 25 addition, an old theatre for you.

It's the University.:)

Universitytheatre2.jpg

DSCF0736.jpg

p.s. that Mustapha is a handsome fellow

Last edited:
June 9 addition.

Bay looking N from Walton. The 'now' pic perspective is different - the reason being that I wanted the row house survivors on the NW corner of Gerrard highlighted a bit more.

ser71_s0071_it7576.jpg

DSCF1704.jpg

The SW corner (at Gerrard - where the traffic light is) was cleared and occupied by Herman Furs for many decades up until the present office building was built. Herman Furs occupied a purpose built 30s or 40s era showroom (sorry I can't be more specific; there's no online info) that was quite striking in a curvy 'Modern' style. I'll try to hunt up a pic from the archives.
I think I found it
s0381_fl0319_id12641-14.jpg

Those were the days - a place for everything and everything in its place: the comma in Holt, Renfrew and the hyphen in Ben-Hur.

Let me know if you ever find interior shots of the Torno place. I've searched a number of times to no avail.

Well, I've been there, but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. It was also used for a photo shoot for one of those local 'fashion' magazines (G&M insert?) about five years ago.

http://www.caa.ucalgary.ca/viewsof20thcentury/imagebank
Search the Panda Associates pictures with "Torno" in the client field.
Unfortunately, not the best shots - none of the front foyer & stairs.

Last edited:

Back