News   Jul 09, 2024
 46     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Bring back the Apollo

I love that shot of bgbg's Apollo theatre.

Can we bring it back? ---see attached:

Attachments

• Bring Back the Apollo.jpg
    Bring Back the Apollo.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 331
Best. Thread. Ever.

I've spent about two hours looking at it and I'm only about half way through.

Anyway, this is something I did just a week or two ago before I even knew this thread existed. These are of the old Loblaw Groceteria.

At the very right of the before picture here you can see Maple Leaf Stadium:

I couldn't get the angle I wanted without standing in oncoming traffic, but this one's close enough:

I wonder what the legal situation is with the highway above the building. Did the city have to pay for air rights or does it own that part of the building?

Great photos of a great looking building, then and now.

I wonder in how many places the Gardiner was built over an existing structure?

I think this is the very rare instance where whatever was in the Gardiner's path wasn't just demolished.

I wonder what the legal situation is with the highway above the building. Did the city have to pay for air rights or does it own that part of the building?

I believe concessions were made to the Ex for the land appropriated for the Gardiner where they in-filled the lake to give them more land. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Gardiner was built the building was owned by George Weston Limited and I can't imagine they didn't get remunerated in some way for having an expressway go right over their land. I'd be interested to know if this was the case.

As for then and nows, if I'm not mistaken this was the version of the gates that was torn down to make way for the Gardiner:

Which is what this is meant to commemorate:

Last edited:
Mustapha: The corner store is still there and quite recognizable. Go one corner to the west.
Rusty...

Rusty, Hi. I checked out this location last night on the way home from work. The store you mentioned is #252 Queen E. It looks just like the 'lost' store in the old picture (#276), except for aluminum cladding.;)

Looks like the bricked up a lot of windows while they were at it. :)

clash, not much change in this nabe, the few blocks to the west and east still feel like 19th century Toronto. Those Loblaws warehouse pics are cool too.

June 26 addition.

QueenandBoltonThen.jpg

DSCF0696.jpg

Queen Street East Re-mix

3660221031_ce1445970f_o.jpg

I had a few mins at work and what did I decide to do?

Last edited:
Well, I've been there, but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. It was also used for a photo shoot for one of those local 'fashion' magazines (G&M insert?) about five years ago.

http://www.caa.ucalgary.ca/viewsof20thcentury/imagebank
Search the Panda Associates pictures with "Torno" in the client field.
Unfortunately, not the best shots - none of the front foyer & stairs.

Thanks Anna. For such a well know place, there's a surprising lack of photos of it.

Back