1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 880     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Now. April 2012.

764.jpg

I like the Brutalist Royal Bank branch on the right hand side of this photo. It's a remarkably mature and confident design for a neighbourhood branch.

Then and Now for September 12, 2012.

Then. 'Aug 1, 1914. Riverdale Park.' That's Gerrard St. at the top of the hill in the distance. The 'Sheet Metal Products' company is long gone, don't know when, but the apartment complex there now looks to be of late 60's vintage.

Check waa-y back to page 31 of this thread to see another picture of the Sheet Metal Products company and a comment by Earlscourt_Lad that his great-grandfather worked there.

There are also lots of pictures of the SMP Co. at the online Toronto archives..

765.jpg

Now. April 2012.

766.jpg

Check waa-y back to page 31 of this thread to see another picture of the Sheet Metal Products company and a comment by Earlscourt_Lad that his great-grandfather worked there.

Ha! I had forgotten all about that earlier post. Apparently he saved enough working there during the war to buy two houses and set up a steamfitting business specializing in school heating systems. Fellow UTer JT kindly gave me a great gauge, which I keep on the mantle as a tribute of sorts. JT being an aficionado of all things steam related...

Then and Now for June 26.

Then. June 26, 1955. More old Chinatown. 173-77 Dundas Street West.

632.jpg

Do you know what the occasion was?

Sorry for the delay Anna; I know your question dates way back to June...

The 'occasion' for this gathering was the purchase of this block of buildings by the Lee Family Association - their administrative offices were to be located upstairs. I assume most of those in the picture are Lees; a numerically large group worldwide given the prevalency of this surname.

The other great Chinese tribe are the Wongs. You know the old saw about how 1 billion Chinese can't be Wong; right, Anna? :)

I had seen that photo before, but couldn't figure out what side, and what perspective, of Riverdale Park we were looking at. Thanks M!

You're welcome! And the puggish dog staring at me in the Now picture was an instant friend. I enjoy so much getting out to take these pictures. The pounds are just melting away... as for the joints, that's another story. :)

Ha! I had forgotten all about that earlier post. Apparently he saved enough working there during the war to buy two houses and set up a steamfitting business specializing in school heating systems. Fellow UTer JT kindly gave me a great gauge, which I keep on the mantle as a tribute of sorts. JT being an aficionado of all things steam related...

JT is gifting stuff to avoid a rooftop water tank style collapse at his place. :)

March 17 addition:

A walk thorough Regent Park. Lots happening in this area. Let's call it 'Regent Park Then and Now'.

Shuter looking S from Park (now Nelson Mandela Park) school. I couldn’t get to the school’s 3rd floor window..from where the original pic was shot.
tryfrontporchofnelsonmandelaschool.jpg

DSCF0560.jpg

Sorry to drag up an old T&N like this but I can't seem to reconcile this one with the old maps. It looks like Park School was on the south side of St David (i.e., not as close to where Shuter is now) and that Sydenham extended east of Sackville at the time. To see from Sydenham opposite the Park School at the time, would you not have to be somewhere inside the block bounded by Queen, Sumach, Shuter and Sackville rather than on Shuter itself?

Sorry for the delay Anna; I know your question dates way back to June...

The 'occasion' for this gathering was the purchase of this block of buildings by the Lee Family Association - their administrative offices were to be located upstairs. I assume most of those in the picture are Lees; a numerically large group worldwide given the prevalency of this surname.

The other great Chinese tribe are the Wongs. You know the old saw about how 1 billion Chinese can't be Wong; right, Anna? :)

Right;)

Sorry to drag up an old T&N like this but I can't seem to reconcile this one with the old maps. It looks like Park School was on the south side of St David (i.e., not as close to where Shuter is now) and that Sydenham extended east of Sackville at the time. To see from Sydenham opposite the Park School at the time, would you not have to be somewhere inside the block bounded by Queen, Sumach, Shuter and Sackville rather than on Shuter itself?

I think Mustapha has this one right too. Is that the 1910 Goad's? Here is the 1924 Goad's showing the new Park School where it is now, on the north side of Sydenham (now Shuter).

ParkSchool.jpg

Right;)

I think Mustapha has this one right too. Is that the 1910 Goad's? Here is the 1924 Goad's showing the new Park School where it is now, on the north side of Sydenham (now Shuter).

ParkSchool.jpg

Bingo Anna. the_lemur was looking at the c1853 Park School.. as you say, the 'new' opened across the street on the north side, in 1923, just in time to appear on your 1924 Goads.

For a few seconds there after reading the_lemurs post I was clutching my chest. :)

Then and Now for September 13, 2012.

Then. 'Nov 5, 1948. Carlaw Av S from Gerrard St after widening.'

767.jpg

Now. April 2012. What do the real estate people call this area? North Leslieville? Offices in the former industrial spaces... condos going up in the distance... lots of changes here.

768.jpg

the_lemurs revival of that old post reminded me of the impact, the sheer sense of drama of the front steps of Park/Nelson Mandela School.

I think it's because of the scale/impressive size and sweep of the steps.. there isn't anything else like it in Toronto.

Worth a look-see in person for those of you who like their school architecture grand. The School Board and the Masons went all out on this one.

So, thanks, the_lemur. :)

Back