News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 949     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Heya,

mattelderca, Hogdust, Hudson8 and the other 'car' guys whose names I can't remember right now. Oh, yah, LI Mike, JT, Gebbois... :)

I came across this in my travels last week.

R0010208.jpg

R0010209.jpg

Gazing upon the fresh faced visage of Miss Billie Hallam - Miss Toronto 1937 - every morning on the patio when I have my coffee. Don't mind the other stuff; I decided to create a 'still life tableau' out of the ancient technological items I daily carry on my person. Yep, that's a film camera [no film in it], a transistor radio, a Parker 'Jotter' pen [unchanged since 1955; you can buy them at Rexall Drugs for lunch money] and a watch that winds up by the arm motions of its wearer.

R0010237.jpg

Heya, looking for something to do tomorrow?

Check out The Chinatown Festival. Spadina between College and Dundas. 11:00am through 7:30pm. Dragon Dance at 7:30pm if you like that sort of thing. It has it's fans. :)

R0010272.jpg

Heya,

mattelderca, Hogdust, Hudson8 and the other 'car' guys whose names I can't remember right now. Oh, yah, LI Mike, JT, Gebbois... :)

R0010208.jpg

Thanks Mustapha, nice find......Diamond Taxi has a pic of this car on the landing page of their website, in their own version of a "Then and Now"

http://www.diamondtaxi.ca/

Great set, Mustapha. I've used two of his pics to illustrate the evolution of the NE corner of Bloor and Yonge (and the SE). The first pic is from the archives and is from 1926:

blooryonge1926.jpg

BloorYonge.jpg

BloorYonge2.jpg

2009:

blooryonge2009a.jpg

Nice journey down through the years; thank you thecharioteer.

One of the things I look for in these Then and Nows is some sort of continuity. That continuity would be the Laura Secord store. It appears in the 1936 picture and is doggedly still there in the 1970s era picture, albeit a few doors north. Today it still trades at this intersection; across the street in the basement level of the Hudsons Bay Centre.

Heya,

R0010208.jpg

Thanks Mustapha, nice find......Diamond Taxi has a pic of this car on the landing page of their website, in their own version of a "Then and Now"

http://www.diamondtaxi.ca/

The car is fairly often parked in the laneway (McFarrens Lane) that runs to the west of the Diamond offices at Queen and Sherbourne.

I found it on Hammersmith Blvd in the east end.. it's been in the same spot for a couple weeks now.

Then and Now for September 11, 2012.

Then. Sep 22, 1915. Danforth Av W from Woodbine Av Open fields; imagine that.

763.jpg

Now. April 2012.

764.jpg

Back