News   Mar 28, 2024
 544     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 839     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Re Union Stations
From Derek Boles, Toronto Railway Heritage Moderator
"June 13, 1872:
The cornerstone is laid for Toronto's second Union Station. The city's first Union Station, built in 1858, had been demolished in 1871 and construction began on this much more elaborate edifice located at the same site along the Esplanade between York and Simcoe Streets but occupying most of the block. For two years a temporary shed located west of Simcoe Street served as the Grand Trunk Railway's Toronto station. The 2nd Union Station was designed in the Italianate style by architect Thomas Seaton Scott, who later designed the Grand Trunk's Bonaventure Station in Montreal. The builder was John Shedden & Co. and the Chief Engineer was the GTR's E. P. Hannaford. The station opened for business on Dominion Day in 1873 and was extensively remodeled in 1895, although the original headhouse remained largely intact. The structure was demolished in 1927-28 after the opening of the present Union Station."
I have asked Derek to respond here as well.

How about another 'then'?

s0071_it10529.jpg

That bank is looong gone but there is a somewhat similar building that still exists a few blocks north at Yonge and Empress; also on the NE corner. I've always wondered how it has managed to survive this long.

Then and Now for June 14.

Then. 60 Lowther. c1910. Residence of Miller Lash. Sproatt and Rolph, Architects.

61860LowtherAvec1910.jpg

Now. October 2011.

619.jpg

Miller Lash also gave us the Miller Lash House in Scarborough:

http://www.millerlashhouse.ca/index.html

Apparently he is not to be confused with Lash Miller, Department Head of Chemistry at the U of T who lived from 1866-1940

http://www.electrochem.org/awards/section/rules/cana_miller_rules.htm

Unless he was one and the same, and the source publication for the "Then" photo and the Scarborough historic house reversed his name. Any information out there for Miller Lash?

I hope someone will help out in this; I'm curious myself. :)

Then and Now for June 15.

Then. 34 Poplar Plains Road. c1910. Residence of C. Cambie. Bond and Smith, Architects.

61634PoplarPlainsRdc1910.jpg

Now. October 2011. I missed the original house by.. I'm guessing a couple of years.

If you enter '34 Poplar Plains Rd' into Google and do a 'streetview'; you will see the now gone house.

The strange part about the new home(s) is that the original house was at the back - the north part - of the lot. Where it once was is now a sloping driveway descending into an underground garage.

617.jpg

Apparently, Miller Lash was a lawyer, a son of Zebulon Lash:

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=7512

His full name was William Miller Lash, while the chemist was William Lash Miller.

My head hurts. :)

Excellent! Who would have thought they would both have buildings named after them?

The original post made me think of the Lash Miller Chemistry Lab building at the U of T. Now I know about both of them.

One can learn something every day on this thread.

Now. October 2011. I missed the original house by.. I'm guessing a couple of years.

If you enter '34 Poplar Plains Rd' into Google and do a 'streetview'; you will see the now gone house.

The strange part about the new home(s) is that the original house was at the back - the north part - of the lot. Where it once was is now a sloping driveway descending into an underground garage.

617.jpg
Not even that long. They were still working on that not long ago. I go up there all the time going to my wife's parent's house.

Apparently, Miller Lash was a lawyer, a son of Zebulon Lash:

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=7512

His full name was William Miller Lash, while the chemist was William Lash Miller.

My head hurts. :)

Because of the Whip Lash?

This is no coincidence. William Lash Miller's father was William Nicholas Miller, b. 1838 in Dundas. Zebulon A. Lash studied law under W. N. Miller at Dundas, and they later practised law in Toronto together as Beatty, Miller & Lash. Miller and Lash married each other's sisters (Frederica Lash and Elizabeth Miller) in 1864 and 1871 respectively.

So William Miller named his first son (b. 1866) as Lash Miller, and Zebulon Lash named his first son (b. 1873) as Miller Lash. I wonder if they were friends as adults.

Because of the Whip Lash?

This is no coincidence. William Lash Miller's father was William Nicholas Miller, b. 1838 in Dundas. Zebulon A. Lash studied law under W. N. Miller at Dundas, and they later practised law in Toronto together as Beatty, Miller & Lash. Miller and Lash married each other's sisters (Frederica Lash and Elizabeth Miller) in 1864 and 1871 respectively.

So William Miller named his first son (b. 1866) as Lash Miller, and Zebulon Lash named his first son (b. 1873) as Miller Lash. I wonder if they were friends as adults.

Never mind the whiplash, I should have named my son Zebulon!

Thanks wwwebster and k10ery for the bios.

JT, that is an interesting link. Imagine; underground rivers undermining St. Mikes - who knew? :)

The weekend is here; so time for some non-Then-and-Now content.

We go to 357 Bay street.

DSC_0328.jpg

CSC_0333.jpg

CSC_0331.jpg

Back