News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 852     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Too bad about the windows...

Tough crowd here when the Rosedale and Forest Hill homes pictures come up. :) The white fabric lined drapes look old... perhaps older home owners?

The south porches, all three of them, are spectacular.

The volume of traffic driving by is quite high - a deal breaker for me - as if.

Then and Now for June 20.

Then. 58 Poplar Plains Rd. c1910. F.S. Baker, Architect.

62458PoplarPlainsRdc1910.jpg

Now. October 2011.

625.jpg

"What... you don't like his writing style? "
QUOTE Mustapha.

It was not due to his "writing style", and I am not alone . . .

(He and Gordon Sinclair were cut from the same cloth.)

Regards,
J T

You mean they were gasbags? Berton not so much. Sinclair was. So was Charles Templeton. But they were as much performers as working journalists.

"You mean they were gasbags? Berton not so much. Sinclair was."
QUOTE Mustapha.

Let me mention that I have had numerous encounters with each.

Regards,
J T

Rightwing gasbags, to be precise. But good, prolific writers which counts for something.

Will you tell us about the numerous encounters? Not on Front Page Challenge, I suppose - unless your real name is Betty Kennedy. :)

Rightwing gasbags, to be precise. But good, prolific writers which counts for something.

Don't think Berton could be categorized as right-wing. If anything, he was a man of the left, having positioned himself as an uber Canadian nationalist in the Seventies, in the vein of Farley Mowat, Mel Hurtig, Margaret Atwood et al.

Getting back on topic, I concur with the others that the suburban windows on 56 Poplar Plains are an abomination.

"You mean they were gasbags? Berton not so much. Sinclair was."
QUOTE Mustapha.

Let me mention that I have had numerous encounters with each.

Regards,
J T

It's true that personal encounters with many "celebrities" can be annoying - in the extreme.

However, I came to admire Sinclair after his repeated criticisms of 'rat poison' in Toronto's water supply.

"Will you tell us about the numerous encounters?"
QUOTE k10ery.

No.

Regards,
J T

"It's true that personal encounters with many "celebrities" can be annoying - in the extreme."
QUOTE Prof Goldie.

I have always dealt with "Celebrities" in a manner of which was deserving.

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for June 21.

Then. 58 Avenue Road (at Lowther, SW corner). c1910. Residence of John H. Eyre.

626AvenueLowtherSWc1910.jpg

Now. October 2011.

627.jpg

Don't think Berton could be categorized as right-wing. If anything, he was a man of the left, having positioned himself as an uber Canadian nationalist in the Seventies, in the vein of Farley Mowat, Mel Hurtig, Margaret Atwood et al.

Sorry, you're right not Berton, I was thinking of Sinclair.

Back