News   Jun 20, 2024
 419     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     8 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 612     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

An old Then and Now (they were doing it back then, Mustapha. Not much on lining up views though):

e007913042-v8.jpg

Charming. :)

And to take us into the weekend, some non-Toronto content again - of my favourite city after Toronto.. New York.

http://dinosnycpics.com/

Then again, to look on the bright side: at that moment, Sewell would probably have been the sort most likely to rally on behalf of retaining the old arch at all. So maybe he took it a step further than necessary in decrying the new bridge aesthetics; oh well...

Then again, to look on the bright side: at that moment, Sewell would probably have been the sort most likely to rally on behalf of retaining the old arch at all. So maybe he took it a step further than necessary in decrying the new bridge aesthetics; oh well...

The new bridge is of the generic Metro Toronto design and does seem to detract from the old bridge, like the Burlington Skyway arch bridge has the generic concrete expansion bridge beside it rather than another arch bridge for harmony. Sewell was correct in recognizing that deficiency, and exemplary for wanting the best. He thought objectively about best practices for the greatest city, without the lens of comfortable, old-fashioned mediocrity. We could use more of that fearless objectivity and ambition towards the greatest possible outcome today.

The new bridge is of the generic Metro Toronto design

So were bowstring arch bridges from the 1900s till the 1920s. People in the 1950s weren't sorry to see the back of them when they were replacing them with newer designs based on better materials. It's all a matter of perspective and scarcity. A century from now our generic designs, made rare by time, will have their own charms to future nerds, who will in turn bemoan the brutal, utilitarian sensibilities of their own age.

So were bowstring arch bridges from the 1900s till the 1920s. People in the 1950s weren't sorry to see the back of them when they were replacing them with newer designs based on better materials. It's all a matter of perspective and scarcity. A century from now our generic designs, made rare by time, will have their own charms to future nerds, who will in turn bemoan the brutal, utilitarian sensibilities of their own age.

...and they will be called NIMBYs.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

It's Saturday evening on the 2nd floor of the Queen Street Bay store - in the shoe department. This of course, is the former Simpsons store - the ownership and name change happened in 1991.

I'm here with the missus who is shopping for new kicks. See yellow circled area for my location. :)

Simpsons_Department_Store_circa_1908.jpg

So I'm gazing across the room [Yeah honey, they look waterproof, and the heels aren't so high that you can't walk to work in them] and I see an old bay window..

DSC_0518.jpg

I walk up closer to gaze upon a mighty old piece of glass; 115 years old to be exact. That pane of glass was installed in 1896. And that window is painted shut, the everything-works-in-good-order part of me hates to see that sort of thing but in this instance I understand.

DSC_0514.jpg

Yet it seems that the common bridges got simpler and more boring in the 1950s. The arch bridge of the 1920s was graceful and eye-catching; what does the 1950s generic bridge offer? It's a concrete deck on concrete piers, with a low concrete wall topped with the simplest of railings. Maybe the Metro Toronto plaques will have some historical appeal, along with those distinctive Modernist arched street lights if present. Some cities have eras of infrastructure construction when some engineer or designer figured out a way to add some flair to the ordinary. We may once again see new generic bridges with an arch as a functional and cost-effective design. If so, they will probably be more appealing even as time passes. As for materials, concrete may be very practical in construction, but the iron and stone of the 1900s have proven to be quite tough.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

It's Saturday evening on the 2nd floor of the Queen Street Bay store - in the shoe department. This of course, is the former Simpsons store - the ownership and name change happened in 1991.

I'm here with the missus who is shopping for new kicks. See yellow circled area for my location. :)

Simpsons_Department_Store_circa_1908.jpg

So I'm gazing across the room [Yeah honey, they look waterproof, and the heels aren't so high that you can't walk to work in them] and I see an old bay window..

DSC_0518.jpg

I walk up closer to gaze upon a mighty old piece of glass; 115 years old to be exact. That pane of glass was installed in 1896. And that window is painted shut, the everything-works-in-good-order part of me hates to see that sort of thing but in this instance I understand.

DSC_0514.jpg

Good to see you always carry you camera with you Mustapha. On the Simpson's subject , a while back I did my usual overkill with Then/Now's on my walk down Yonge Street. One of the photo's I couldn't match up but I think it is the north/west corner of Yonge and Queen. Reflecting in the mirror you can see Colonial Tavern. Not sure where that was exactly but I am sure someone here has the answer.

Colonial.jpg

I think it's the northwest corner of Yonge and Albert. That's Eaton's across the street. The lady is standing in front of Arliss Shoes. The Colonial was in between the two historic banks across the street.

s0574_fl0008_id49235.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's the northwest corner of Yonge and Albert. That's Eaton's across the street. The Colonial was in between the two historic banks.

Thanks thecharioteer. Never new Albert went through before the Eaton Center was built. Just wanted to say thanks to all of you , I learn something new everyday about our great city.

Thanks thecharioteer. Never new Albert went through before the Eaton Center was built. Just wanted to say thanks to all of you , I learn something new everyday about our great city.

There is a mini Starbucks now in exactly the same spot as the long gone Arliss shoes.

Albert Street still exists, in a manner, as an east-west corridor through the mall called 'Albert Way'. There may be signage to this effect inside the mall; there was the last time I looked a few years ago.

In return for the city's concession to the Eaton brothers of giving up this street for their mall, the Eatons had to maintain east-west pedestrian access across the former alignment.

fatimablush, I tried to answer your private email through the facility here at Urban Toronto but I got a 'The following users were not found:' message. I noticed you hadn't registered. You can post your question here publicly if you wish, or register as a user, repost the question and I'll try to answer it.

peace,

Moose.

Yet it seems that the common bridges got simpler and more boring in the 1950s. The arch bridge of the 1920s was graceful and eye-catching; what does the 1950s generic bridge offer? It's a concrete deck on concrete piers, with a low concrete wall topped with the simplest of railings. Maybe the Metro Toronto plaques will have some historical appeal, along with those distinctive Modernist arched street lights if present. Some cities have eras of infrastructure construction when some engineer or designer figured out a way to add some flair to the ordinary. We may once again see new generic bridges with an arch as a functional and cost-effective design. If so, they will probably be more appealing even as time passes. As for materials, concrete may be very practical in construction, but the iron and stone of the 1900s have proven to be quite tough.

Though don't be too hard on the 50s bridge, or at least the early 50s bridge--the green-painted steel railings often had a residually Moderne visual distinction (and the rehabbing of some of the Yonge subway bridges--Roxborough, for instance--pays tribute to that aesthetic).

Back