News   Jul 11, 2024
 604     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 730     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

North/East Bathurst and Eglinton
5456093649_4594a82a02_o.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

These 2 apts. between Everden and Winnett south side of Eglinton had to go when they built the Allen. Police Station#13 built there in 1971.
5456093597_78e612cd1e_o.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

Duncannon and Eglinton West
westofduncannon.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Interesting that in this case the retail was built after the housing was, with space left for the retail buildings.
Reminds me of Vegas circa 2009; half-built housing (usually gated) developments, bordered by a giant swath of land off the main road for big-box plaza purposes.. cept in Vegas' case, nothing's gettin built!
Google Streetview Visual Aid

Hmm... A self serve grocery! What a novel concept. Hating the self checkouts we have now, just hire another person will ya.
First pic, Loblaw's

Grocery Stores and Drug Stores used to be the same size

5456094101_a8e3412117_o.jpg

And they still are

5456703490_a7aebbcacb_b.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

Sort of

800px-DCP_6787.JPG

Dufferin and Eglinton looking west. A 20 foot ladder would have come in handy. The Dominion Bank on the right might have been torn down or is unrecognizable in the strip of stores on the north side. It looks like Vaughan road did go north of Eglinton at the time.
5456093577_dd789ffba5_b.jpg

IMG_0510-1.jpg

Interesting that in this case the retail was built after the housing was, with space left for the retail buildings.
Reminds me of Vegas circa 2009; half-built housing (usually gated) developments, bordered by a giant swath of land off the main road for big-box plaza purposes.. cept in Vegas' case, nothing's gettin built!
Google Streetview Visual Aid

'gated' developments... in certain areas this is seen as a desirable feature; I wonder if it meets a real security need sometimes.

Yes, that photography from the U.S. Library of Congress is truly wonderful.
Particularly the work of FSA (Farm Security Administration) photographers during the depression years.
Much work by the famous photographers: Dorthea Lange, Arthur Rothstein, Russell Lee, and many more
The comments at the end to the above site are also worth reading.

Canada has a photo library (National Archives) at: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/02/020115_e.html
However, I found it difficult to browse and the photography is somewhat plain.
Attached are a couple of photos I found - nothing comparable to the US site!

Our own, City of Toronto Archives, is one of the best!

Agreed, the City of Toronto Archives are real enablers here for the contributors to this thread and elsewhere.

I was looking over the pictures at the Toronto Star archives. Interesting enough material but 'low rez', watermarked and lots of warnings about copyright, unless you pay. I know where they are coming from, private enterprise and all that, but there is quite a resource there that is mostly more rather than less off limits.

This one looks like the one at Don Mills and Eglinton, although they all look alike. Like an aircraft hanger inside - they are sure to have the 18 different kinds and sizes of chicken fingers/nuggets that one is looking for.

Actually Grimsby, but as you say they all look the same.

Dufferin and Eglinton looking west. A 20 foot ladder would have come in handy. The Dominion Bank on the right might have been torn down or is unrecognizable in the strip of stores on the north side. It looks like Vaughan road did go north of Eglinton at the time.
5456093577_dd789ffba5_b.jpg

Dufferin north of Eglinton was Vaughan Road (the road to Vaughan), so Dufferin north of Eglinton connected to Vaughan south of Eglinton. I'm not sure when Dufferin was extended up to Eglinton but I remember when Vaughan Road was closed off.

Dufferin north of Eglinton was Vaughan Road (the road to Vaughan), so Dufferin north of Eglinton connected to Vaughan south of Eglinton. I'm not sure when Dufferin was extended up to Eglinton but I remember when Vaughan Road was closed off.

Was Dufferin ever non-existent south of Eglinton? At the very least, its ROW always existed as part of Governor Simcoe's concession-road gridiron. (And the diagonal-ish cross-road aspect reflects how Dufferin jogs here.)

Was Dufferin ever non-existent south of Eglinton? At the very least, its ROW always existed as part of Governor Simcoe's concession-road gridiron. (And the diagonal-ish cross-road aspect reflects how Dufferin jogs here.)

According to Tremaine's map Dufferin Street was there back in 1860, but some of the concession road ROWs were marked on maps whether they were passable or not. I thought that because of the valley that is now Fairbanks park there was a chance Dufferin didn't go that far north. But it looks like it did. Vaughan Road (including what is now Dufferin north of Eglinton) was shaded in on the map, just like all the other main roads - Yonge, Davenport, Dundas, Weston, Albion, Markham, and Kingston.

"Vaughan Road was privately built by the Yorkville and Vaughan Road Company, in 1850, to open up the farm lands along Dufferin Street in York and Vaughan Townships. Originally Vaughan Road started at Yonge St. and followed Davenport to Bathurst St and thence up to and along the present Vaughan Rd. to Dufferin St and north into Vaughan Twp. Its route was based on earlier trails established by the Native People. It provided the first road access to the triangle of high land between the Davenport Escarpment on the south, and the Cedarvale and Nordheimer Ravines to the north-east. "

http://www.lostrivers.ca/points/vaughanrd.htm

Back