News   Jul 17, 2024
 112     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 721     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 616     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

For some reason, I always mark the beginning of our long real estate boom with the construction of the Royalton in 98-99. It's hard to recall now how little was being built in the prior 6-7 years.

Thank God that red & blue makeover of the office building never happened.

Thank God that red & blue makeover of the office building never happened.

Then again, it could have been one heck of an 80s/90s period piece, a la the similar-spirited makeover of 100 University. (Of course, it'd be decried today as a desecration of Peter Dickinson; but that's another matter.)

For some reason, I always mark the beginning of our long real estate boom with the construction of the Royalton in 98-99. It's hard to recall now how little was being built in the prior 6-7 years.

The real market basically died in Toronto in 1989, and didn't really recover until about 1995. The Royalton (completed in 2000) was one of the first in the recovery, along with buildings like The Saint James, (completed in 2001).

Then and Now for Nov 7.

Then. 19 Duncan Street. c1909. New Southam Press building.

25219Duncanc1909.jpg

Now. May 2011. Not sure what this building is used for now... not any single purpose I think; it's probably tenanted with various businesses of the creative sort that are drawn to these types of buildings..

Now.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry. Something going wonky with my system. Broadview, East side, North of Dundas, South of Gerrard. I believe the address was posted earlier.

Yes, Mustapha did a now and then of a barbershop just to the south of the Y. I also remember a trip to one of the counselers houses, not sure why (a side stop maybe) , but he lived on Eastern next to the bakery. I still remember that smell.

Then and Now for Nov 7.

Then. 19 Duncan Street. c1909. New Southam Press building.

25219Duncanc1909.jpg

Now. May 2011. Not sure what this building is used for now... not any single purpose I think; it's probably tenanted with various businesses of the creative sort that are drawn to these types of buildings..

253.jpg

Another view, 1911, with some surviving buildings from the original Upper Canada College in the foreground:

adelaidesimcoe1911.jpg

And from Spadina (centre):

adelaidespadina.jpg

Last edited:
In your "Adelaide West from Simcoe" pic, the door into which the men are entering, is/was the

Blackhall & Company offices/plant.
Bookbinders.
203/205 Adelaide Street West.

Regards,
J T

Glad you told us that, JT. I had imagined it was something more along the speakeasy/pool hall/"entertainment" vein (though obviously it that sort of establishment wouldn't have been so blatant on a summer afternoon in 1911 Toronto).

I dare to say that in the same pic, at the "end" of the streetcar tracks and to the left thereof is

the building from where we then/now have the scene of Adelaide Street looking east from Spadina.

(S/W corner, Spadina & Adelaide)

Regards,
J T

Yes, the pic was taken from the Darling Building.

And from Spadina (centre):

adelaidespadina.jpg

I love this photo!

The date on it is "between 1900 and 1930" according to the Archives, but I think we can narrow that down a little.

I'm curious about the tall white building on the right-hand side distance. I'm guessing this might be the Dominion Bank building (1 King West)? None of the other early towers would have that wide an aspect from that direction. If it is the Dominion, it's definitely post 1914 and pre-1929, when you would see Commerce Court, the Star building, and the Canada Permanent all in construction in the environs. I think I see the tower of the Mail building at King and Bay just in front of it. Anyone know what the arch-like structure to its left is?

The taller building on the left-hand side appears to be the Temple Building, with the tower of the Confederation Life building a couple of blocks east visible to its right.

I'm curious about the tall white building on the right-hand side distance. I'm guessing this might be the Dominion Bank building (1 King West)? None of the other early towers would have that wide an aspect from that direction. If it is the Dominion, it's definitely post 1914 and pre-1929, when you would see Commerce Court, the Star building, and the Canada Permanent all in construction in the environs. I think I see the tower of the Mail building at King and Bay just in front of it. Anyone know what the arch-like structure to its left is?

The tall white building is actually Traders' northern neighbour, Canadian Pacific, in its original terra-cotta-clad form (it was reclad in limestone some 20 years later). And the arch, I believe, belonged to the original Canada Life Building...

The tall white building is actually Traders' northern neighbour, Canadian Pacific, in its original terra-cotta-clad form (it was reclad in limestone some 20 years later). And the arch, I believe, belonged to the original Canada Life Building...

The CP Building was completed in 1913, so this pic is probably (given its gleaming whiteness and the air quality of the time) shortly afterwards.

1911 drawing:

f1568_it0351.jpg

Last edited:

At centre left of this picture, above the 'Alexander Engraving' sign; the building with the 'tea cosy' top with the porthole on the side - I wish I had the vocabulary for these things - is still there at the corner of Adelaide and Peter. It is in completely original condition, which is to say it's a bit rundown.

adma, any idea why they reclad? There are buildings worldwide of this vintage that still have their terra-cotta cladding..

Last edited:

Back