News   Jun 28, 2024
 3K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 612     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

That's a fabulous link, Mustapha!
Everyone should have a look at those Calgary photos - there must be hundreds of views in that book.

Glad you like the link Goldie. I've only spent an overnight there... and don't know anyone from there so the city is an unknown for me.

Then and Now for Nov 9.

Then. 'Canadian General Electric Company's building, King and Simcoe streets [NW corner], Darling and Pearson, Architects'. c1908. A wwwebster sourced picture.

Splendid, simply splendid I think.

256KingSimcoeNWc1908.jpg

Now. May 2011.

257.jpg

A toronto landmark!

Then and Now for Nov 4.

Then. 40 College Street c1914. YMCA Building. We've talked about this building in the past but this, this is a wwwebster picture that we needed to show off. :)

25030-40Collegec1914.jpg

Now. July 2011. Police Headquarters

251.jpg

Here's another photo of the Central "Y" (attached) - WWI soldiers, 1915
We can also see the homes extending westward.

This "Y" is a landmark in my book! It's where I met my wife at a dance.

Attachments

• d7bd1ae94c3181202612acbe813f.jpg
    d7bd1ae94c3181202612acbe813f.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 275
Then and Now for Nov 10.

Then. Rosedale Streetcar Loop.

Rosedale loop was built in 1924 and was situated on the west side of Sherbourne street just north of the Sherbourne Street bridge, just south of the present Rachel street. I'm not sure when it went out service, or whether it was used for the Sherbourne car or the Bloor car...

The old house on the right is still there.

260RosedaleLoopwassituatedonthewestsideofSherbourneStreetjustnorthofSherbourneStreetbridgeoverRosedaleValleyravineandsouthofRachelStree.jpg

Now. July 2011.

261.jpg

The Rosedale Loop lasted until 1947 when the Sherbourne streetcar was discontinued. The Sherbourne route was supposed to be converted to buses earlier, but the war prevented that from happening. The tracks on Sherbourne St. could only be used by former Toronto Railway Company cars because the space between the tracks of each direction (the "devilstrip") was too narrow for the larger Peter Witt cars and with the demise of the remaining ex-Toronto Railway Company cars imminent, rather than rebuilding the tracks from the Rosedale Loop down to King St. it was decided to convert the route to buses. The Sherbourne route was one of the early streetcar route casualties, along with Lansdowne and Dovercourt.

The Rosedale Loop lasted until 1947 when the Sherbourne streetcar was discontinued. The Sherbourne route was supposed to be converted to buses earlier, but the war prevented that from happening. The tracks on Sherbourne St. could only be used by former Toronto Railway Company cars because the space between the tracks of each direction (the "devilstrip") was too narrow for the larger Peter Witt cars and with the demise of the remaining ex-Toronto Railway Company cars imminent, rather than rebuilding the tracks from the Rosedale Loop down to King St. it was decided to convert the route to buses. The Sherbourne route was one of the early streetcar route casualties, along with Lansdowne and Dovercourt.

Very interesting! Never knew that about Sherbourne. Here are some pics of the Sherbourne tracks:

sherbournetrack5.jpg

sherbournetrack2.jpg

sherbournetrack3.jpg

sherbournetrack.jpg

sherbournetrack4.jpg

Ah, the Izzy reno. One of the earlier EIFS-ifications before we fully grasped the disaster of EIFS-ifications...

Ah, the Izzy reno. One of the earlier EIFS-ifications before we fully grasped the disaster of EIFS-ifications...

It's just a 'cover-up' at the end of the day, isn't it? - when it's used on an old building. Why they use it on a new building is a mystery to me. I suppose it's cost effective/inexpensive.

Scroll down and click on the Chicago neighbourhood you want to see.

http://gapersblock.com/detour/chicago_then_now/

Chicago isn't far - a 10 hour drive - nor expensive, many sub-$100/night hotels. The last one I stayed in even had a hot breakfast for this price. When my employer paid, I stayed at The Drake. :)

Things to check out while you are there:

Their subway [the 'L'] - sharp banked curves, squealing wheels; quite the experience. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_'L'

Lots of Frank Lloyd Wright, if you are into that: http://www.gowright.org/

Now and Then for Nov 11.

Then. Dundas looking E across Landsdowne. A 1972-ish [I'm guessing the date here] scene. Thank you to UTer ValsHere who sourced this picture.

246DundasLandsdowne1976.jpg

Now. November 2011. The photographer of the Then picture must have used a telephoto lens... my 'wider' lens renders the downtown office towers smaller in scale.

In our Now picture, the Landsdowne Tavern - the 4 story white building on the NE corner of Landsdowne and Dundas is gone.. I'm sure it must have been a real neighbourhood fixture. It's a used car lot now, of 'dodgy' appearance - as my daughter who spent some time in the UK and picked up some local lingo would describe it. I didn't spend a lot of time in my youth in drinking places (still don't - one beer and I'm asleep; it's an Asian thing..) but I sure miss the atmosphere of the long gone Queensbury Arms on Weston Road near Eglinton. Please don't ask how I came to be a semi-regular there. :) Mental seque to tavern food -- I'll be spending the weekend again looking for a good toasted Club Sandwich on white with really good fries. The ones at Frans aren't cutting it... any recs gratefully accepted.

DSC_4047.jpg

Back