News   Jul 12, 2024
 825     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 744     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Note also how the vegetation around the tracks has been kept down. With steam engines, it was imperative that efforts be made to keep trackside weeds under control, as they could be set alight from sparks, etc. Something which isn't of much concern now, hence the overgrown look of a lot of rail lines.

Good grief. A Trainspotter. :)

Last edited:
90 College, 1903:

collegebay1903.jpg

How very interesting, thecharioteer... there is a now vanished street in the 1903 map - Chestnut Place. The Toronto General Hospital - the present MARS building, was built over it.

Then and Now for Nov 3.

Sorry I didn't get around to this this morning - we lost our internet for many hours.

Then. 1980ish. Queen and Davies. Thanks to ValsHere for sourcing the picture.

I wonder if it is a Robert McMann photo? AlbertHWagstaff wrote an interesting bio for us here (back on Sep 26) about Mr. McMann..

248QueenDavies1980forAuntVal.jpg

Now. June 2011.

249.jpg

Last edited:
Then and Now for Nov 4.

Then. 40 College Street c1914. YMCA Building. We've talked about this building in the past but this, this is a wwwebster picture that we needed to show off. :)

25030-40Collegec1914.jpg

Now. July 2011. Yes, I broke a cardinal rule; don't stand outside police buildings and take pictures. :)

251.jpg

Screen shot 2011-11-04 at 10.45.27 AM.jpg
Then. 40 College Street c1914. YMCA Building. We've talked about this building in the past but this, this is a wwwebster picture that we needed to show off. :)

Oh hey thanks for reminding me.

Does anybody have pictures of the Broadview YMCA? I used to go to a day camp there called Wild Roots. Then my Dad and I used to go there to get some exercise. I was 5 or 6 when we used to go, but it was fun hangin with my old man. Their track had banked curves. I was almost too small to get up the banked curves. It was an elevated track around a gymnasium, so you would run around and people would be shooting hoops. The four banks in the corners had exercise stations where you could do sit-ups or what have you. Out back they had a full volcanic stone/ash track and an inner soccer field, plus some extra real-estate around the track. Very big piece of real estate for so close to downtown.

We also used to use the pool. After the pool, we'd hit the sauna. This room was really impressive. It was massive. Stepped white marble with a large glass window. The size of a small Starbucks. They had a cold water hose which was the best cold water in that room. I've not seen anything quite like it since. It's a shame they tore down such a great building.

After working out, we'd walk up to Gerrard for some Crown Fish & Chips. They were the best in the City. Yes, Penrose is now the best, but back then, Crown was top. Very dark place, probably where Kaka Lucky is now. They had a Cola-Cola water immersion pop cooler with the old small glass bottles of Coke.

Great memories.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-04 at 10.45.27 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-11-04 at 10.45.27 AM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 750
View attachment 8004

Oh hey thanks for reminding me.

Does anybody have pictures of the Broadview YMCA? I used to go to a day camp there called Wild Roots. Then my Dad and I used to go there to get some exercise. I was 5 or 6 when we used to go, but it was fun hangin with my old man. Their track had banked curves. I was almost too small to get up the banked curves. It was an elevated track around a gymnasium, so you would run around and people would be shooting hoops. The four banks in the corners had exercise stations where you could do sit-ups or what have you. Out back they had a full volcanic stone/ash track and an inner soccer field, plus some extra real-estate around the track. Very big piece of real estate for so close to downtown.

We also used to use the pool. After the pool, we'd hit the sauna. This room was really impressive. It was massive. Stepped white marble with a large glass window. The size of a small Starbucks. They had a cold water hose which was the best cold water in that room. I've not seen anything quite like it since. It's a shame they tore down such a great building.

After working out, we'd walk up to Gerrard for some Crown Fish & Chips. They were the best in the City. Yes, Penrose is now the best, but back then, Crown was top. Very dark place, probably where Kaka Lucky is now. They had a Cola-Cola water immersion pop cooler with the old small glass bottles of Coke.

Great memories.

I too attended that summer day camp! I asked about the Y myself and posted a few links to info and pics. I attended camp between 72 to 74 and remember the track out back quite well. Now, how far back was that post?

I too attended that summer day camp! I asked about the Y myself and posted a few links to info and pics. I attended camp between 72 to 74 and remember the track out back quite well. Now, how far back was that post?

I would have gone to camp with you. That is truly amazing. Do you remember the Wild Roots tshirts?

I remember parts of Toronto from when I used to visit them as a kid in that daycamp. We used to hit the Island, go to the school down Broadview, hit other pools around town, play floor hockey, all kinds of things.

Sorry, what do you mean by "how far back was that post?"?

I would have gone to camp with you. That is truly amazing. Do you remember the Wild Roots tshirts?

I remember parts of Toronto from when I used to visit them as a kid in that daycamp. We used to hit the Island, go to the school down Broadview, hit other pools around town, play floor hockey, all kinds of things.

Sorry, what do you mean by "how far back was that post?"?

I remeber a few walking tours as well. One day that sticks in my mind from camp was walking the Rosedale valley and going under the subway bridge, not the viaduct, the modern concrete section to the west.
How far back, was about the post I made about the Broadview Y. It's in this thread somewhere. It had pics and links on the buildings history.

Neat connection!

OOhh, had another memory. I think there was a kitchen in the Y where we made rice krispy squares once. And the T shirts are just coming back to me.

Last edited:

Back