News   Jun 17, 2024
 186     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 241     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 365     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Am I the only one? Ok, I'll say it: I had NO idea such a beautiful building existed here.

Though at least until well into the 1960s, you'd have been laughed at for calling that, uh, malformed monstrosity "such a beautiful building". (NB: I'm just channeling earlier tastemaker dogma--"what would Eric Arthur have thought", etc. I suppose they might have found most merit in the central gable for evoking some kind of Newport-ian Queen Anne/Shingle Style decorum)

Lou & Nat Turofsky

These snow storm pictures were taken by Alexandra Studios for the Toronto Planning Department. The photographer - I'm assuming it was one of the Turofsky brothers, Lou or Nat, whose works represent a very very good percentage of the images at the Toronto Archives - didn't have to go far. Look carefully at the reflection in their shop window (293 King West). Yes, it's Farb's car wash across the street. These snow storm pictures were taken only a few steps from their studio.

""Spiff" Evans at Turofsky Studio, King Street West, south side, west of John Street. "Spiff" Evans erasing "Merry Christmas" from window of studio between 1955? and 1965?]"

f1257_s1057_it2962.jpg

Those guys were well known in their day and it seems that they enjoyed the photographers' life.

Attachments

• Turofsky montage.jpg
    Turofsky montage.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 312
"Those guys were well known in their day and it seems that they enjoyed the photographers' life." QUOTE Prof Goldie.

I must be getting olde, for the recognition of Jerry Colonna by his moustache.

Regards,
J T

What's the subcompact crossing the street in the centre of the 1961? It looks a little shortened for a Beetle and I don't think it's a Fiat 500; the Beetle wasn't really that small a car, and while domestic cars were battleships in those days that car looks half the size of the others around it.

It's a Morris--a British car. There were more Austins than Morrises in Canada at that time, but the Morris was about. They were almost always green.

April 11 2011 addition.

Then. "Canadian Mill Supply Co and Lucas Grill located at 275 King St West between Dorset St and John St ca194-"

CanadianMillSupplyCoandLucasGrilllocatedat275KingStWestbetweenDorsetStandJohnStca194-.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_2607.jpg

Goldie, Alden,

Is the Hanlans point ballpark marked with any sort of plaque?

If you ever happen to see the plaque there's actually an arial of the old Hanlan's ontop of the new hanlans. It looks like the Stadium grounds is now part of the airport. I would have loved to reach the amusement park back in the day. Here's a remix I put togther awhile back. What would be your view from behind home plate if the the Hanlan's stadium was still around today?

5610335328_2dc24fda42_z.jpg

Babe Ruth's first professional home run was done at Hanlan's. There's a plaque there on the West side of the loop by the ferry docks. It's in-between two cedar trees IIRC.

Link: Babe Ruth Plaque

Last edited:
There is a photo of a plaque to him, and its surroundings at Exhibition Place : http://www.alanbrown.com/TorontoHistory/Pages_DEF/Edward_Hanlan.html
THIS photo is of his Island plaque and statue http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslittlemonkey/151497774/ "In the autum of 1926, a 9 foot bronze statue sculpted by Emanuel Hahn of a moustachioed, muscular, shirtless Hanlan, shown clad only in surprisingly revealing trunks, was unveiled on the grounds of the Canadian National Exhibition. This monument was relocated twice, once to the main entrance of the Marine Museum on the grounds of the Canadian National Exhibition grounds then later to a site near the ferry dock at Hanlan's Point in 2004." From his Wikipedia entry.

Last edited:
Keeping on the Hanlan's tip here's a Then and Now. Not so sure it's the exact spot but kind of looks close...

1910-ish - 2010

5611036736_70161e6ba5_b.jpg

Stadium & Airport

If you ever happen to see the plaque there's actually an arial of the old Hanlan's ontop of the new hanlans. It looks like the Stadium grounds is now part of the airport.

Does anyone have a copy of that aerial overlay (see attached thumbnail)?
I'd love to have a clear view of the comparison.

Attachments

• Hanlan's plaque.jpg
    Hanlan's plaque.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 300

Back