News   Jun 26, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The Time Tunnel does not even compare to Dr. Who. A one season US show compared to a BBC show that has been on the air almost uninterrupted since 1963? I think not!

OK. I concede. It's just that I was a fan of Lee Meriwether and followed her from tv show to tv show. :)

Last edited:
I was about to comment on the fact that one never seems to see homeless people in the "Then" pics, until I searched for "homeless" on the Archives site. It obviously is not a new phenomenon, as evidenced by the following pic, probably taken in the bandshell in Queen's Park:

homeless.jpg

I was surprised to see this and replicated your search. I was surprised again to see this was a "Alexandra Studio commissioned photograph". I wonder who commissioned it?

Last edited:
April 9 addition.

Then. The 3rd picture in our mini-series of the Jan 26, 1961 snowstorm; looking W along King across John street.

f1257_s1057_it0024.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_2601.jpg

I visited the Toronto Archives yesterday for the first time. The man at the registration desk was quite nice - asked me how I was - and got me a Registration No. which lets me do research. I was hoping they would have a picture of my great gramps' laundry at 778 Broadview. No luck but the lady archivist who assisted me was fast and helpful.

If you don't wish to do any research, anybody can visit the lobby area. It's quite large and has displays of interest. There are themed displays about Regent Park (when it was new), the Clarendon Apartments, and quite a few other subjects. There was also a Toronto Chinatown (the Elizabeth street one) picture display. There are public bathrooms and I can think of few other nice ways to spend a free hour. I highly recommend a visit.

April 9 addition.

Then. The 3rd picture in our mini-series of the Jan 26, 1961 snowstorm; looking W along King across John street.

f1257_s1057_it0024.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_2601.jpg

Let's not forget the Arlington Hotel, which pre-dated Farb's Carwash:

arlington20hotel-1.jpg

postcard-toronto-arlington-hotel-awnings-nice-version-early-1.jpg

Last edited:
April 9 addition.

f1257_s1057_it0024.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_2601.jpg

IIRC, the Eclipse Whitewear Building was the original home of the Toronto Sun after the Telegram shut down. I remember Paul Rimstead noting "It's not much like Bassett's old place".

What's the subcompact crossing the street in the centre of the 1961? It looks a little shortened for a Beetle and I don't think it's a Fiat 500; the Beetle wasn't really that small a car, and while domestic cars were battleships in those days that car looks half the size of the others around it.

I was about to comment on the fact that one never seems to see homeless people in the "Then" pics, until I searched for "homeless" on the Archives site. It obviously is not a new phenomenon, as evidenced by the following pic, probably taken in the bandshell in Queen's Park:

Except in those days they were called "hobos" or "bums".

History at Hanlan's Stadium

Goldie, Alden,

Is the Hanlans point ballpark marked with any sort of plaque?

I believe it is.

The plaque (although I haven't seen it) may also mention the "myth"? regarding a home run by Babe Ruth that ended up in the harbour.
Some think the ball may still rest there!

A novel, "Gift of the Bambino," by Canadian author Jerry Amernic, relates the tale of the 1914 home run by the Babe (supposedly his first homer). Its the story of a boy who went to the Hanlan's Stadium with his father.

UPDATE: I searched this wonderful site (http://www.torontohistory.org/) which gives detailed stories of many, many historical plaques. The Hanlan's story is told in full.
I found these two photos:

Attachments

• Babe_Ruth_at_Hanlans_Point_Plaque.jpg
    Babe_Ruth_at_Hanlans_Point_Plaque.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 341
  • Babe_Ruth_at_Hanlans_Point_Plaque_2.jpg
    Babe_Ruth_at_Hanlans_Point_Plaque_2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
I was surprised to see this and replicated your search. I was surprised again to see this was a "Alexandra Studio commissioned photograph". I wonder who commissioned it?

I expect such a photograph would be "commissioned" by the City's Health or Legal Dept.

I believe it is.

The plaque (although I haven't seen it) may also mention the "myth"? regarding a home run by Babe Ruth that ended up in the harbour.
Some think the ball may still rest there!

A novel, "Gift of the Bambino," by Canadian author Jerry Amernic, relates the tale of the 1914 home run by the Babe (supposedly his first homer). Its the story of a boy who went to the Hanlan's Stadium with his father.

UPDATE: I searched this wonderful site (http://www.torontohistory.org/) which gives detailed stories of many, many historical plaques. The Hanlan's story is told in full.
I found these two photos:

Ah, so there is a plaque; and a nice one too. Thanks Goldie.

Toronto Baseball history:

Sunlight Park - South of Queen, West side.

Hanlan's Point Ball Park - Hanlan's Point.

The Diamond Park - S/E corner Fraser Avenue at Liberty Street.

Maple Leaf Stadium - S/W Fleet Street & Bathusrt Street.

CNE Stadium - CNE.

Sky Dome.

(Not to forget Christie Pitts, home to Toronto Maple Leafs after their above stadium was torn down.)

Regards,
J T

There was a "Baseball Place" that existed as recently as about 15 years ago. The Toyota dealership on Queen just W of Broadview eventually built over it.

Last edited:
More snow storm pictures of King and John below.

These snow storm pictures were taken by Alexandra Studios for the Toronto Planning Department. The photographers/studio owners - were the Turofsky brothers, Lou and Nat, whose works represent a very very good percentage of the images at the Toronto Archives. An interesting factoid about the last picture below - they didn't have to travel far from their studio in that 1961 snow storm. Look carefully at the reflection in their shop window (293 King West). Yes, it's Farb's car wash across the street. Amazing? Well, after you've picked yourself off the floor and dusted off, please go out and get some sun. It's been a long winter. :)

293 King W is now the location of "Ultimate Cafe" restaurant.

s0065_fl0024_id0004.jpg

s0065_fl0024_id0003.jpg

s0065_fl0024_id0002.jpg

""Spiff" Evans at Turofsky Studio, King Street West, south side, west of John Street. "Spiff" Evans erasing "Merry Christmas" from window of studio between 1955? and 1965?]"

f1257_s1057_it2962.jpg

I don't know who Spiff Evans was but he reminds me the effortless elegance of men in photographs of that time.

Last edited:
Toronto Baseball history:

Sunlight Park - South of Queen, West side.

The Diamond Park - S/E corner Fraser Avenue at Liberty Street.

Maple Leaf Stadium - S/W Fleet Street & Bathusrt Street.

CNE Stadium - CNE.

Sky Dome.

(Not to forget Christie Pitts, home to Toronto Maple Leafs after their above stadium was torn down.)

Regards,
J T

Baseball History in eight sentences; that's pretty succinct, thank you JT. :)

Back