News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 959     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

They did a nice job of rebuilding the hose station. I remember when it burned down in the early '70s. There aren't many entire buildings, locally, that I can think of that were completely replicated.

They did a nice job of rebuilding the hose station. I remember when it burned down in the early '70s. There aren't many entire buildings, locally, that I can think of that were completely replicated.

I've forgotten that this fire station burned down. It sure was an interesting news story at the time.

The Confederation Life Building at Yonge and Richmond had a bad fire, and I was always disappointed that its main tower wasn't rebuilt as it was. Still, at least it wasn't just torn down, as was the style at the time. I've also noticed that a number of old fire stations have been "neutered". Their lookout towers have been chopped off; the one at Berkeley and Adelaide comes to mind.

It's an inspirational local example of how nicely a building can be rebuilt. It looks to have been definitely worth it, since there aren't that many such towers in Toronto.

Wow, that "Algier" place looks like it would be prized had it survived to this day. (And the ultra-moderne Lux cinema facade stood until about 1987, as the replacement indicates.)

The Confederation Life Building at Yonge and Richmond had a bad fire, and I was always disappointed that its main tower wasn't rebuilt as it was. Still, at least it wasn't just torn down, as was the style at the time.

Well, the main tower was already lopped off in the 1930s, so "as it was" referred to the existing condition--to some extent. (Though the roof peaks weren't fully reinstated until the mid-90s.)

syn, snap out of it.:):) [just kidding] you probably wound up here after looking at another thread..

Actually, I was looking at page 10, then used the quick response without realizing I wasn't on the last page.

Wow, that "Algier" place looks like it would be prized had it survived to this day.

I wonder what it looked like originally. Even in the B&W shot, it looks like the rounded corner replaced an earlier tower? The windows, brick, and stone courses look way older.

Wow, that "Algier" place looks like it would be prized had it survived to this day. (And the ultra-moderne Lux cinema facade stood until about 1987, as the replacement indicates.)

March 14 addition:

Cue.. Lux

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0473.jpg

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0479.jpg

Taken looking NNE - the old perspective was NNW but I hope you get the idea..

DSCF0474.jpg

Back