News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 960     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

A little similar to how a bygone mansard was briefly revealed in profile behind metal siding amidst the demolition of the 1 Bloor E block...

March 11 addition:

Dovercourt Rd south of Dundas.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0275.jpg

DSCF0409.jpg

The Metro cops own this place now..

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d14/20080924-d14_new_site_information_page.pdf

Boy, that's unflattering. (Though it isn't one of the better 50s/60s-type Toronto schools, either.)

Urgh, the TDSB was notorious for demolishing many of their schools in the 60's and 70's, though I am amazed at how many still remain (albeit in a decrepit state). I know in the east end Withrow PS and Leslieville PS were razed and replaced by fairly functionary boxes, as were many more.

Urgh, the TDSB was notorious for demolishing many of their schools in the 60's and 70's, though I am amazed at how many still remain (albeit in a decrepit state). I know in the east end Withrow PS and Leslieville PS were razed and replaced by fairly functionary boxes, as were many more.

You may be right, but I can think of three public schools in my area where a very old original building was saved and a modern addition was constructed in the 1960s/1970s: Annette Street Public School, Runnymede Public School, and the older site of Carleton Village Public School (old building, unflattering photo of modern addition). The links go to photos of the older school and modern addition. The last one is now closed, and the Toronto Police would like to knock it down for a new police station.

mjl08, junctionist,

Not all is lost. I was walking along Dundas east, and Nelson Mandela Public school is just a great and imposing old school building.

March 12 addition:

Mackenzie and Lisgar, man standing on SE corner.

SEcornerMacKenzieandLisgar.jpg

DSCF0406.jpg

Cool Mustapha, I think two of those skinny little trees in the background of the b&w are are nice big robust ones in the colour photo.

Besides the trees, other survivors include most of the original stained glass in these homes. The robins egg blue house front parlour window - you can see the stained glass in both pictures. It must be a Toronto thing to leave stained glass untouched; it must strike some sort of primal instinct; neanderthal cave glass or something..

Mustapha: Interesting that the fairly old looking wooden front porches and walk-outs to the second floor balconies that they created were later additions. I wonder when it happened?

What's interesting, too - as with many of your other Then and Now comparisons, especially the screaming-match of signage and garish colour that your photos of commercial streets capture - is the way in which uniformity of residential frontages and "fitting in" has been replaced by a multi-hued need to "stand out".

Also, of course, the obsessive need of bureaucrats to put up repetitive and off-kilter signs everywhere.

Wow, that last comparison is really depressing. King and Bay looked incredible before.

Mustapha: Interesting that the fairly old looking wooden front porches and walk-outs to the second floor balconies that they created were later additions. I wonder when it happened?

What's interesting, too - as with many of your other Then and Now comparisons, especially the screaming-match of signage and garish colour that your photos of commercial streets capture - is the way in which uniformity of residential frontages and "fitting in" has been replaced by a multi-hued need to "stand out".

Also, of course, the obsessive need of bureaucrats to put up repetitive and off-kilter signs everywhere.

Sign Sign everywhere a sign. Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind ...:)

What a classic song.

Wow, that last comparison is really depressing. King and Bay looked incredible before.

syn, snap out of it.:):) [just kidding] you probably wound up here after looking at another thread..

March 13 addition:

I'll make like 'urbandreamer' today. Guess where?

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it5555.jpg

DSCF0473.jpg

Back