News   Jul 12, 2024
 826     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 747     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 317     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

What a great discovery; sometimes we forget that we need to look up once in awhile...

September 7 addition.

Then. 357 College street. March 27, 1919.

357college.jpg

Now. July 2010. It's been 91 years and not many changes here. Possibly even the "Billiards" building on the left might have survived until its modern replacement. This stretch of College is one of my favourite strolls: I can go west to the Cafe "Dip" and a sit, or south into Kensington Market and groceries, or east into Chinatown for buns, a fortifying midday Pho, or dinner.

DSC_0309.jpg

There is one change though, the opposite side of where you took (Canada Computers [About the same area where that Burlesque Theatre was that was posted about 60 pages ago]) got hit by a fire Sunday Night..

Found the original post.

March 23 addition.

College near Bellevue looking N. Bellevue is behind the photographer. June 1958.

s0372_ss0100_it0271.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSC_0049-1.jpg

CC will be back on its feet soon enough x.x

Last edited:
Yep, go, EVCco. Have some of the food - made the same way by teenage hands for over a hundred years :) . Take in the sights, let the humanity and sounds wash over you. Win a prize and thrill your date - don't understimate the impression this can make - one of these dates became my wife - and the prize - a teddy bear - hangs on a peg and surveys the garage workshop. :) The odds are good for the Birthday Roulette. Stay until late. The Midway at night is still the thrill of any time, place and culture. Let the soothing hum of the TTC car rock you home. In my day, Gramps would wake me as we came up to King station for the subway journey to the end of the line at Eglinton, and another bus. Sometimes we would go to the Ex more than once; I would manage to stay awake and we would pass the Toronto Star building on King in the gloom. It would be time to rub eyes and get ready to get off.

That's it for my CNE Now and Then pictures for this year. Anyone care to invest $16 and some shoe leather to take some more?

Prince's Gate:

cne14.jpg

Thanks goes to thedeepend for some pics he originally posted in the "Evocative Images" thread:

Not exactly taken from the same location, and certainly not the same rides, but...

sany4224.jpg

sany4225.jpg

sany4226.jpg

There is one change though, the opposite side of where you took (Canada Computers [About the same area where that Burlesque Theatre was that was posted about 60 pages ago]) got hit by a fire Sunday Night..

Found the original post.

CC will be back on its feet soon enough x.x

And I hope the tenants can get back in soon too. They probably lost everything.

I ran across this today while searching for something else:

http://www.archive.org/details/negroesintoronto00hilluoft

Negroes In Toronto: A Sociological Study of a Minority Group

It’s a PhD thesis from 1960. Hope it is of interest.

I'm reading "Family Secrets - Crossing the Colour Line" [Catherine Slaney, National Heritage Books] right now.

It's a Toronto based history of Ms Slaneys Black ancestor Dr. Anderson Abbott, who graduated from medical school in Toronto in 1861.

"Catherine developed an interest in Black history quite by accident when, in 1999, she decided to investigate a little family genealogy and came across the stories of her black ancestors. Her curiosity led her across the continent as she contacted distant cousins in an effort to seek the truth, for it quickly became apparent that certain family secrets had slipped out of reach. It became a personal quest for her to find a means to explain why some of her ancestors found it necessary pass as white."
http://www.dundurn.com/authors/catherine_slaney

Many illustrations including the Abbott home at King and Dowling.

EVCco,

I stand awed by your effort.

Thank you. :)

September 8 addition.

Then. October 16, 1952. Duncan looking N from Nelson.

duncannfromnelson.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0284.jpg

Wow, it's nice to see almost everything remains to this day. Then again it's only been 58 years. Great find.

Wow, it's nice to see almost everything remains to this day. Then again it's only been 58 years. Great find.

Thanks HHC. It was a factory district back then. Now the buildings remain but the noise is gone; replaced by the hum of the office. Interesting too how a parking lot can stay a parking lot all those years.

September 9 addition.

Then. Duncan N from Adelaide. October 16, 1952 again.

duncannfromadelaide.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0289.jpg

Back